The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I got this from a mate regarding the COVID regulations that we were punished for and how other teams are doing the same only not being caught

Ok so I come off golf course today and there in the hotel, i assume having lunch is a football team, Hearts FC, who then come out and get on the bus to go the game with Morton... so they are coming across the country from a Tier 3 to a Tier 4... now I get they are being tested regularly as they are in a ‘bubble’.
But what exactly is a bubble ? Do they not go home at night and mix with their wives/girlfriends and kids who have been at school etc ?

Sounds very much like we had to admit to

9 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Average wage of a Fakes player was £62,691 in Jan 2020.

Have you got a link to that?

There's an article that goes about yearly that puts out incorrect figures, as they simply look up accounts and find wage figures, look up transfermarkt to get squad size, and then create an average from that.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have you got a link to that?

There's an article that goes about yearly that puts out incorrect figures, as they simply look up accounts and find wage figures, look up transfermarkt to get squad size, and then create an average from that.

Here you go ......   https://www.statista.com/statistics/547202/average-annual-first-team-player-salaray-football-clubs-scottish-premiership/

Have to agree with Goodwin play like we did against Aberdeen we will win more than we lose. Watching the game noticed for the first time all the tunnels into the stadium are painted black with I'm sure the club Crest.  It's a much smarter look than the battleship grey.  Also the interview with the St Mirren charity foundation was a intresting listen a lot of good work being done. 

So I'm not really sure how we benefit regarding the SPFL tribunal appeal. If there is a possibility of over turning the decision to award the games then maybe, but I feel it's a long shot that will cost the club money in the long run.

If an appeal is feasible the points should not have been awarded, possibly held in suspension until the process was finished.  As much as it was odd to receive points without playing a game it would be harsh to subsequently remove them.

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

If an appeal is feasible the points should not have been awarded, possibly held in suspension until the process was finished.  As much as it was odd to receive points without playing a game it would be harsh to subsequently remove them.

If there is a route of appeal, and there seems there is, then the fault is entirely upon the SPFL for awarding them immediately rather than, as you say, suspended until the matter was completed fully. As for it being harsh to be removed, not if the appeal is successful. Again that would be for the SPFL to explain to Motherwell and Hamilton why they fucked up.

It all, of course, is predicated on the possibility of the games being played.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

If there is a route of appeal, and there seems there is, then the fault is entirely upon the SPFL for awarding them immediately rather than, as you say, suspended until the matter was completed fully. As for it being harsh to be removed, not if the appeal is successful. Again that would be for the SPFL to explain to Motherwell and Hamilton why they fucked up.

It all, of course, is predicated on the possibility of the games being played.

Yes in this scenario the issue would be with the SPFL handling of it, but with Motherwell being blameless (apart from anything they have got away with) would it be feasible to order the match be played but not ‘punish’ Motherwell by removing their points?

I don’t think it would be harsh at all. The league table is largely irrelevant until 33 games have been played and the split happens.
Us and Killie obviously think we have a chance of getting the punishment reduced. No idea if we will or not but I think it’s worth a go.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Yes in this scenario the issue would be with the SPFL handling of it, but with Motherwell being blameless (apart from anything they have got away with) would it be feasible to order the match be played but not ‘punish’ Motherwell by removing their points?

I cannot see how it would be feasible, in any way, for Motherwell to retain the points yet the game go ahead. Think about it, it would effectively allow Motherwell to have 39 games over the season, the normal 38 plus a bonus 3 points for the SPFL fucking up.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

I would imagine if (and it's a huge if) the punishment was reduced it would be to the suspended fine with removal of points from Well and Accies  and the games actually played.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

I don’t think it would be harsh at all. The league table is largely irrelevant until 33 games have been played and the split happens.
Us and Killie obviously think we have a chance of getting the punishment reduced. No idea if we will or not but I think it’s worth a go.

It is like having the first goal chalked off incorrectly, it impacts the flow of the game, or the league

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I cannot see how it would be feasible, in any way, for Motherwell to retain the points yet the game go ahead. Think about it, it would effectively allow Motherwell to have 39 games over the season, the normal 38 plus a bonus 3 points for the SPFL fucking up.

But we are talking the SPFL here, why would it not be feasible

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I would imagine if (and it's a huge if) the punishment was reduced it would be to the suspended fine with removal of points from Well and Accies  and the games actually played.

That makes sense in terms of the appeal but it means ‘Well and Accies have been messed about for something that they have had no involvement in.  Perhaps the suspended fine could get reduced and everybody thinks they are winners.

If the punishment is changed to a points deduction then Saints cannot win out of it.

It is like having the first goal chalked off incorrectly, it impacts the flow of the game, or the league

I’d be amazed if Accies or Well made that argument if this was over turned. Give us back points we never earned because flow of the league or something...?

40 minutes ago, ropy said:

No it wouldn't be harsh at all.

Many, myself included, argued that even a points deduction for our f**k up, would have been more justified than forfeit.

Should St. Mirren and Killie be punished? Without a doubt.

Should they have been deducted points? Possibly

Should Motherwell and Hamilton, two clubs who were in the right place at the right time directly benefit from this by gaining those points? Absolutely not.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

I’d be amazed if Accies or Well made that argument if this was over turned. Give us back points we never earned because flow of the league or something...?

I don’t think we will make an argument (just me) but it will feel like we have been pawns in the process.