The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I like the gesture, but it's a shit name. 'SMISA' just isn't a nice word to say. I'd like to think they'd have come up with something catchier if they ever dreamed the ground was being named after it.

Still, I do like the gesture very much.

How do you say it, Smeeza, or is it spelt out S.M.I.S.A?

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

That happened yonks ago. Start of this season IIRC. No announcement - just the signs taken down. Guess SD never paid their annual subs.

Interesting. As you say, no announcement. There was obviously "other shit" happening .. * sweeps arm around pointing at all the other shit * .. but I'm sure I've heard Radio Scotland still call it the SD Arena.

That said, they had a hell of a time getting their heads round the idea that as the 'new' stadium was not on Love Street, it wasn't called Love Street. :lol:

Edited by Ric

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

That's why you have an approved list of options decided before you let people vote. I don't like the name either but I'm a traditionalist with stadium names and sponsorship names are a bit souless. 

The Simple Digital deal was a fair length wasn't it? Strange it is gone. 

Their shop on Scotland Street is gone and one of the owners bought himself out the company. I think they're going under

With it being the new stadium I can't say I'm too fussed what it's called, not as if we're selling centuries of tradition. Regardless of it's official name, folk will call it whatever they want. I call it Greenhill Road for the most part, very rarely St Mirren Park and never the 2020 Arena/Simple Digital Arena/whatever else it's been called. The old ground was called St Mirren Park too but pretty much everyone called it Love Street.

Would agree there should probably have been a vote on it though. Could have got folk to suggest names, pick the best five and then put it to a vote. No late postal ballots allowed.

I don't have any expectations for this season. If we can stay up, great. But I would be content to see the club playing in the Championship next season, so long as I can go to the games and we're financially solvent.

I don't have any expectations for this season. If we can stay up, great. But I would be content to see the club playing in the Championship next season, so long as I can go to the games and we're financially solvent.
I don't think we should ever be content playing in the Championship. I get the never ending feeling though that we are always going to be Premiership bottom feeders when we are in this league.

Still got faith in the manager, some of the new signings looked decent tonight. Got to give them a chance, they'll need to get up to speed again.

What the hell is up with Connolly though.

I don't think we should ever be content playing in the Championship. I get the never ending feeling though that we are always going to be Premiership bottom feeders when we are in this league.

Still got faith in the manager, some of the new signings looked decent tonight. Got to give them a chance, they'll need to get up to speed again.

What the hell is up with Connolly though.

This! How can Connolly not be match fit yet! He has never failed to impress any

(Albeit brief) time he has been on the pitch.

Tonight we had genuine options on the bench though, feeling weirdly optimistic, seasons starts now!

30 minutes ago, geo87 said:

This! How can Connolly not be match fit yet! He has never failed to impress any

(Albeit brief) time he has been on the pitch.

Tonight we had genuine options on the bench though, feeling weirdly optimistic, seasons starts now!

Agreed about Connolly...seemed like the obvious one for me. Bit of pace to drag their back line out. 

Have to say was impressed with our first half performance that's the best I have seen from us this season.  Final third has to be worked on but goals will come if we play like that. Gives me a bit of hope now things are looking up. New players look quality.  

Agreed about Connolly...seemed like the obvious one for me. Bit of pace to drag their back line out. 
If Goodwin is determined to play the 3/5 at the back, the width is going to be provided by the wing backs so unless Connolly has the defensive capabilities to play that role I'm not seeing where he fits into that formation. It seems odd bringing him in if JG always had the wing back plan at the back of his mind unless he thought he could do that role but training has shown otherwise. Alternatively JG might see him as something other than a wide player in which case he can't be showing much if the likes of Cammy are getting the attacking support slot ahead of him.