The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Decent player but I don't think he is better than either McCarthy or Shaughnessy.

Agree if we can keep our back line fit it's far superior with out popescu.  Hearts will romp that league no problem.  Was impressed with Charlie Adam. Not because he scored a goal we should never have let Mullen leave .  That was a right good entertainment tonight.  We are so far behind hell knows how we will survive this season. Fingers crossed.  

Apparently we have only 12 players available and that is including 4 keepers. That was the SPFL statement reported on Radio Scotland. I'm thinking maybe someone has got the numbers a bit mixed up as we don't have 4 goalkeepers.

Apparently we have only 12 players available and that is including 4 keepers. That was the SPFL statement reported on Radio Scotland. I'm thinking maybe someone has got the numbers a bit mixed up as we don't have 4 goalkeepers.
Is Langfield listed as a player? Think he was on the bench earlier on this season.

Just now, jm1 said:
2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Is Langfield listed as a player? Think he was on the bench earlier on this season.

Ooh, good point, he did register during the Zlamal situation.

22 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

The chances of the Hamilton game going a head must be slim you would think. There is a free Saturday in a couple of weeks. 

That is a concern, the isolation period doesn't tie up well with weekly games. I wonder if the club are being informally asked to arrange it so those in the U21 side are entered into the first team bubble so that we'll at least have the minimum available required in order for the game to go ahead.

Which would be worse? A forfeit or playing a weakened side?

Assuming the infected players and staff come out the other side of this with no health problems.......

From a footballing point of view, you'd be as well everyone in your squad getting it at the same time early on in the season and having games postponed. Other teams might be pleased at the moment to have avoided positive tests but there will inevitably be more. Yes, disruption for St Mirren now but immunity is building up amongst our staff meaning that Covid should be less of a problem for us further down the line.

There is a fair chance that there will be teams, perhaps at a crucial stage of the season, who are having to put out weakened teams, for weeks on end, because they keep having positive cases / self-isolators but not at the numbers required to trigger a postponement.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

27 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Yes, disruption for St Mirren now but immunity is building up amongst our staff meaning that Covid should be less of a problem for us further down the line.

I suppose the situation here is whether the players are isolating because of contact or because they are infected. AFAIK, our covid infection rate is currently at 5, perhaps 6, players.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

The forfeit,iirc, is a 3-0 loss.  I'd imagine that blooding some of the younger lads and having a roll of the dice would always be better than meekly accepting defeat.

I would be of a similar mind, that said considering how tight some of the GD has been over the years, losing 5-0 with kids compared to a standard 3-0 forfeit may seem reckless if it came to that.

Interestingly, in terms of the OF, I wonder if the average scoreline would work out worse than the 3-0 forfeit.

Just now, NorthBank said:

We have 3 positive cases and 5 isolating.

Also note that catching covid does not necessarily make you immune. You can test positive again.

So add those 3 to the 2 goalkeepers and wasn't there some chat that Foley caught it early on or am I making stuff up now?

Either way, you are right, it's not guaranteed that catching it provides immunity. That said, it's a very very low rate of reinfection - essentially one or two confirmed cases amongst the millions that have contracted it.

52 minutes ago, Ric said:

I suppose the situation here is whether the players are isolating because of contact or because they are infected. AFAIK, our covid infection rate is currently at 5, perhaps 6, players.

There's a good chance though that some of those self-isolating for the next 2 weeks will be infected. When they return they'll probably be back to testing negative again. The number who have already had it may be considerably higher than our recorded positive cases.

3 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Also note that catching covid does not necessarily make you immune. You can test positive again.

If that's the case, then Erhahon and whoever else tested positive, if they subsequently test negative, will only be self-isolating for 10 days. I believe they first tested positive on the Monday.

If they are available, and assuming we have no further positives, then we might creep above the minimum threshold for fielding a team v Hamilton next Saturday.

Fucking moron: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54592850

If it can be found that a player or member of staff has contracted coronavirus because they haven't followed protocol or because players have gone to the pub/Spain/wherever, then by all means punish them by forfeiting the game.

If, however, guidelines and protocol are being followed and the players have contracted the virus through no fault of their own - which could happen to anybody - then you are an utter fuckwit to suggest there should be any sort of penalty or forfeiture. It's not as if we've fielded an ineligible player or couldn't filed a team through a combination of suspensions or injuries. Some of our squad have a highly contagious, potentially deadly virus FFS.

I have no idea how our players got coronavirus and if it's because someone went on a night out then passed it on to their team-mates we should be punished. If they've got it some innocent way then we shouldn't. Same goes for all clubs, not just us.

The only real question I have is how could Kilmarnock get their youth players available for their game the other night while we didn't have ours for Saturday? Is it because they knew a week or so in advance they'd be needing the kids for the first time so were able to do what was necessary for that to happen? Are our under-20s (aside from Jamieson and the ones we've punted back on loan) back in training yet even if they're training and playing among themselves and not involved with the first team? If they're not and other teams have their youths back I can't imagine the SPFL will be too happy unless there's a good reason for it.

Edited by Stu

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

The only real question I have is how could Kilmarnock get their youth players available for their game the other night while we didn't have ours for Saturday? Is it because they knew a week or so in advance they'd be needing the kids for the first time so were able to do what was necessary for that to happen? 

Undoubtedly

6 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Yeah, It seems that the antibodies themselves tend to disappear after a few months or so, which means plays could potentially catch the virus again in January/February time. Any mass postponed games during that period could really wreck the ability to finish the league.

But its only a game. Peoples lives are definitely the priority, even if it means the season gets buggered.