djchapsticks

The St. Mirren FC 2020/21 Top Four/Six Party Thread

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

That being said, if we lose to a Ian McCall team we riot emoji51.png.

Let's be honest, if we don't put at least 5 past them there will be some claiming the world is ending.

While it's annoying we find ourselves in a "must win" category for both of the LC games, when you think about it they were always going to be. I do think we'll win the game, but we've seen from the Annan score the other night that the lower league teams will come out with a point to prove. Not least Thistle as no doubt they will still hold some grudge in the way they were treated at the end of last season.

Let's be honest, if we don't put at least 5 past them there will be some claiming the world is ending.
While it's annoying we find ourselves in a "must win" category for both of the LC games, when you think about it they were always going to be. I do think we'll win the game, but we've seen from the Annan score the other night that the lower league teams will come out with a point to prove. Not least Thistle as no doubt they will still hold some grudge in the way they were treated at the end of last season.
Oh aye, definitely. I'd probably take a scrappy 1-0 win just to stop the rot. Knowing McCall he will come to Paisley and have a go.

The pressure is on us in this group, we have the huge match fitness advantage. In normal circumstances this would have been a tricky group.

Still rubbing my eyes at that Annan score, 3rd time they have beat Accies in the last few years too.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Still rubbing my eyes at that Annan score, 3rd time they have beat Accies in the last few years too.

Out of chance I caught Rice's pre-match interview. While you'd hardly expect him to say, "aye, well, we'll be looking to ship 3 goals in the first half and see where it goes from there", his comments were definitely along the lines of "we should be taking the game to them" and "we know they've been a bogey team for us in the past but that was under a different manager and I'm here to put that record straight". :lol:

Still, it's nice to have a sobering scoreline like that so Goodwin has something to point to when warning of a potential banana skin. While it _shouldn't_ matter, it's also good to see both Morton and QoS draw last night.

I was going to take a break from the streamed games for a bit but I've been reeled right back in now.

Finlayson straight in to replace McCarthy, do we reckon, or maybe something similar to last Friday, with Tait, Fraser and Shaughnessy in a three? Rest of the team the same. That's probably what I'd go with.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Finlayson straight in to replace McCarthy, do we reckon, or maybe something similar to last Friday, with Tait, Fraser and Shaughnessy in a three? Rest of the team the same. That's probably what I'd go with.

I thought Finlayson was part of the U21 setup but it seems that he wasn't listed in the team that played last night, so perhaps he could just fill in for McCarthy. You would hope that a Thistle team playing their first competitive game in 7 months or so shouldn't pose too much of a problem but as sn1f and I have been discussing, Annan showed that might not be such a good attitude to take.

Mind you, if we are to give him and Mason (when fit) game time, then surely the opening rounds of the LC is the ideal time to do so.

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

So the club told the truth, gave him the move he asked for, Kyle has admitted he wanted to go - and from his statement was clear an honest with the club.

The club were perhaps a little petulant in their statement, but given the disappointment I’m willing to forgive that.

Looks like the only people who have actually lied and have come out of this badly are those on the internet purporting to be Kyle’s family.

Aye, they were petulant and yes, that's even to be expected. To be honest given his history of injuries I'd say we've definitely done the right thing.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

The daft rumours all come from fan(nies) on Social media who know nothing about a situation but take every opportunity to knock the club or push their own agenda. The Club did release a statement about Kyle and got slaughtered. Then it proves to be true, but I do not see anyone apologising. Goodwin gave an interview yesterday about signings -  the day after the transfer window.  But he was slaughtered about his two signings before that.  One person started a  rumour that we are installing a plastic pitch. How can the Club stop rumours before they start? It is up to fans to stop talking nonsense.

It takes time for the Club to read the shite that is posted then effort to denounce the rubbish. The Club can't win.

I don't post on BAWA anymore because some of the 'fans' there are so bitter and twisted. Aye, the club's not run perfectly, but the board have the its interest at heart...unlike some of their detractors who, it seems, constantly seek to undermine them and sow division and distrust. 

The thing that scunners me a little bit with the Magennis move is that he didn’t want to stay and captain the club till at least January (when he could sign a PCA with anyone).

When he was given the captaincy there were quotes from him declaring it was ‘a dream’ to captain St.Mirren & It’s a massive honour for him and for his family. If true, then why not make the bold decision to stick around, get fit and captain the team to better results? We’re in desperate form at the moment and a show of loyalty from our club captain could’ve given everyone the boost that has been needed for a little while.

He’d have got his move in Jan or the summer anyway so I wont buy the excuse that he needed to jump at the move to Hibs as it’s an opportunity that might not have come round again.

It looks like the only thing that the club actually did wrong in the Magennis transfer was word the statement badly. 

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

Not having a go at you but its funny how some of our fans have done a complete turn around on Ethan. Many were happy to see him go. 

Aye, some craic.

I mentioned in here months ago that I never wanted to see him in a situation where he was a left back again and the mental strain on the lad getting hung out to dry there set him back about a year.

Chuffed the boy is getting his shot in there now.

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

Not having a go at you but its funny how some of our fans have done a complete turn around on Ethan. Many were happy to see him go. 

I totally agree, myself not being one of them. 

I think sometimes our supporters forget the age of the players coming through. 

Is the game tonight free for season ticket holders? I don't expect it to be, but just wondered.

1 minute ago, Ralstonite said:

Is the game tonight free for season ticket holders? I don't expect it to be, but just wondered.

Yep...

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

The thing that scunners me a little bit with the Magennis move is that he didn’t want to stay and captain the club till at least January (when he could sign a PCA with anyone).

When he was given the captaincy there were quotes from him declaring it was ‘a dream’ to captain St.Mirren & It’s a massive honour for him and for his family. If true, then why not make the bold decision to stick around, get fit and captain the team to better results? We’re in desperate form at the moment and a show of loyalty from our club captain could’ve given everyone the boost that has been needed for a little while.

He’d have got his move in Jan or the summer anyway so I wont buy the excuse that he needed to jump at the move to Hibs as it’s an opportunity that might not have come round again.

I would be the same as you if it was a Killie player but from a neutral point of view, it's hard to slag a kid for not gambling on a move in Jan in the middle of a global pandemic, especially when offered a 6 year deal by a club the size of Hibs.

Even if he's on say 2k a week, that's a lot of money to ignore.

21 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I would be the same as you if it was a Killie player but from a neutral point of view, it's hard to slag a kid for not gambling on a move in Jan in the middle of a global pandemic, especially when offered a 6 year deal by a club the size of Hibs.

Even if he's on say 2k a week, that's a lot of money to ignore.

Totally understand the reasoning behind the move and why he's grabbed the 6yr deal at Hibs but after all the stuff spouted about 'local lad made captain' i'd have thought he'd have at least wanted to stick around a tad longer.

A real strange one having a club captain sold before he could ever captain the club :lol:

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

That being said, if we lose to a Ian McCall team we riot emoji51.png.

If we dont beat Thistle easily at home something is far wrong. I expect Thistle to be well organised and stuffy but nothing more. 

Just now, Spam_Valley said:

Totally understand the reasoning behind the move and why he's grabbed the 6yr deal at Hibs but after all the stuff spouted about 'local lad made captain' i'd have thought he'd have at least wanted to stick around a tad longer.

A real strange one having a club captain sold before he could ever captain the club :lol:

It's frustrating to lose players in this way. But, unfortunately clubs like Hibs will always be able to poach our players and we cannot compete with that, unless Tony's dreams of us packing the stadium, filling in the corners, etc, come to fruition.

At Hibs he's more likely to win silverware, play in Europe, earn more money and get a longer contract. It'd be wrong to stand in his way, and it'd be naive to expect his loyalty to be strong enough to resist that kind of offer. 

With fan ownership, we should be asking ourselves how we can grow the club and fulfil our potential. Indeed, the first question we should be asking ourselves is what is the extent of St. Mirren's potential?

1 minute ago, Ralstonite said:

It's frustrating to lose players in this way. But, unfortunately clubs like Hibs will always be able to poach our players and we cannot compete with that, unless Tony's dreams of us packing the stadium, filling in the corners, etc, come to fruition.

At Hibs he's more likely to win silverware, play in Europe, earn more money and get a longer contract. It'd be wrong to stand in his way, and it'd be naive to expect his loyalty to be strong enough to resist that kind of offer. 

With fan ownership, we should be asking ourselves how we can grow the club and fulfil our potential. Indeed, the first question we should be asking ourselves is what is the extent of St. Mirren's potential?

Kibble in theory should see our profits rise given maintenance costs should come down. If only we could finish mid table with the league payout reflecting that. How to get more home fans through the gate is the hard one we have been trying that for decades. Getting our salary up to a level of mid table clubs should help us to stay away from a relegation battle. Until we can up the income we will always flirt with relegation.  

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Kibble in theory should see our profits rise given maintenance costs should come down. If only we could finish mid table with the league payout reflecting that. How to get more home fans through the gate is the hard one we have been trying that for decades. Getting our salary up to a level of mid table clubs should help us to stay away from a relegation battle. Until we can up the income we will always flirt with relegation.  

Indeed, money increases the likelihood of success, success attracts fans and fans attract money. But then again Kilmarnock and Motherwell have both been reasonably successful and not really increased their fan base, or at least not by much. Can we realistically increase ours? What's our catchment area? 

I'm sure I read that Kilmarnock only attracted 6,500 crowds in their Championship winning season! Tony has said that he's trying to forge relationships with Renfrewshire businesses, in fact I think he even quoted numbers and stats. Realistically are we just looking to survive at the moment, though?