The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I've said already that we were looking for cover for the LB and CB positions. We've got that. I'm interested to see what the Finlayson lad look like. I'm not buying into the "he's shite because we have a buy-on clause which means he wasn't good enough to cut it at Rangers" as there is an absolute f**k ton of decent players milling about this league which "couldn't cut it" at either OF.

In terms of flexibility this is possibly the most (tactically) flexible squad I've seen us have, perhaps ever. That's not to say they are the best ever squad, that would be daft, but not only is there cover for all positions we are capable of lining up (given injuries and suspensions going our way) in a multitude of formations from 3, 4 or 5 at the back or in midfield.

Obviously the main thing is whether Goodwin can get a tune out them, as it's clear on paper there is talent throughout the squad. If he does, then I feel we'll see some FoC signings from the Irish league come the next window and hopefully that will be covered by whatever money is left over from the Magennis sale (along with keeping the club afloat while fans can't attend).

I mean, fair play with what he says but it certainly wasn't a fanciful notion started by 'Internet rumour mongers', it was reported last week on Coventry's official website less than a week ago that he'd be out for 6-8 weeks which is as first hand as you can get. 

Granted, we reported Cody Cooke would be out for 9 months last season and it wasn't correct but we followed it up with clarifying that the injury was not as bad as first thought and revised that. So you can't blame folk for being gobsmacked at signing a guy whose own club have had him pegged as being out for 2 months only a few days ago. 

Edited by djchapsticks

That bring said, I'd kill just now for a couple of free agents in the Ferdinand, Hammill or Jackson mould. Someone with plenty of experience and still a lot to give who wil come in and give a boost to the squad. 

Get a bit of Cameron Jerome or Ikechi Anya action going on, something like that would be cracking. 

Edited by djchapsticks

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, fair play with what he says but it certainly wasn't a fanciful notion started by 'Internet rumour mongers', it was reported last week on Coventry's official website less than a week ago that he'd be out for 6-8 weeks which is as first hand as you can get. 

Granted, we reported Cody Cooke would be out for 9 months last season and it wasn't correct but we followed it up with clarifying that the injury was not as bad as first thought and revised that. So you can't blame folk for being gobsmacked at signing a guy whose own club have had him pegged as being out for 2 months only a few days ago. 

Wishful thinking from the club that Cody Cooke was out for 9 months, a typical Stubbs signing & hopeless player. 

7 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Is there still any truth to the rumours of Goodwin being close to leaving? That came from a usually reliable source on here if I remember right.

The interview NorthBank posted sounds as if Goodwin may be a bit more positive now than he was on Friday night since he has been given funds from the Magennis sale to bring in 3-4 players. Certainly hope he is not considering his future, would be the biggest loss we could have. 

8 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Is there still any truth to the rumours of Goodwin being close to leaving? That came from a usually reliable source on here if I remember right.

So, imo, Goodwin wouldn't walk. For several reasons, not least because it's hardly a flexible job market at present (both in and out of the game) and while he's clearly pissed because Magennis chose to jump (and you can debate either side of that decision, it's irrelevant because it's happened) but what offer is he going to get by dropping tools now? I also think he's too stubborn to admit defeat when he's created a team (a least on paper) that's not just capable of staying in this league but pushing on up towards the split.

Do I think the BoD might be looking at a certain free agent who did wonders on a shoestring budget for a club whose fanbase rewarded him with pitiful attendances, and thinking that if Goodwin is still struggling in 3 or 4 weeks time the opportunity to do a quick shuffle of the managerial deck would be tempting? Yeah, I think it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they might.

42 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Looks like Goody has received money for up to 4 players mainly due to selling Kyle. I reckon that will offset most of his anger.

It'll also make him feel like he got his point across with the subs thing on Friday. Assuming that was even a point, and not simply a lack of available tested players.

It'll also make him feel like he got his point across with the subs thing on Friday. Assuming that was even a point, and not simply a lack of available tested players.
Aye. Many folk were asking why no Academy players were on the bench (including a journo who should know better :) ). Well Academy players are not being tested for Covid so that rules them all out. Jim only had his available first team squad on the bench.

7 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Agree with what you say , however the romour came directly from the Coventry manager. Unfortunately no story was followed up to say. The injury is not as bad as first feared.  Remember the Coventry manager said a scan was done. A medical expert said he would be out for 6 to 8 weeks. A medical expert.  Something does not add up. 

Oh FFS

19 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Interesting interview with Magennis online in the Evening Times.

He did say to Fitzpatrick he’d like to go, but wasn’t going to down tools, etc. 

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18774465.kyle-magennis-opens-st-mirren-departure/

No no no, that's not right. All Kyle's family have been on saying he really didn't ask to go. It's all lies by the board apparently.

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

No no no, that's not right. All Kyle's family have been on saying he really didn't ask to go. It's all lies by the board apparently.

I can see why his friends and family were defensive, as the article portrayed him unfavourably, perhaps implying he was an ingrate. However the article quotes him thus:

“I had a conversation with the manager [Jim Goodwin] and [CEO] Tony Fitzpatrick and said it was a good opportunity for me and I’d like to go - but I wasn’t going to fall out with anybody over it.

It is a good opportunity for him. Who can honestly say he's not better off at Hibs? But it seems some folks just want to put the boot into the board and will seize on anything to air their grievances.

We should all wish him well, move on and unite behind the club.

So the club told the truth, gave him the move he asked for, Kyle has admitted he wanted to go - and from his statement was clear an honest with the club.

The club were perhaps a little petulant in their statement, but given the disappointment I’m willing to forgive that.

Looks like the only people who have actually lied and have come out of this badly are those on the internet purporting to be Kyle’s family.