The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, Green Day said:

That was the Hearts physio - Stubbs was pumping the Hibs one.........

Ew.

Magennis is 100% going. We've only put that statement out to show we're playing the game, and to push the price up. I can imagine a swap deal of some sort taking place: £250k and Mallan for the season, or something like that. (Ok, Mallan is pie in the sky, but I'm sure we'll push for a player of some sort.)

Edit: had a quick glance on Twitter and nobody (that I've seen) seems that bothered. Either that's reflective of Magennis' relatively poor season for us pre-injury last year, or, as a support, we're just on such a downer at the minute that news like this is just standard.

Edited by Coventry Saint

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Ew.

Magennis is 100% going. We've only put that statement out to show we're playing the game, and to push the price up. I can imagine a swap deal of some sort taking place: £250k and Mallan for the season, or something like that. (Ok, Mallan is pie in the sky, but I'm sure we'll push for a player of some sort.)

Edit: had a quick glance on Twitter and nobody (that I've seen) seems that bothered. Either that's reflective of Magennis' relatively poor season for us pre-injury last year, or, as a support, we're just on such a downer at the minute that news like this is just standard.

Bit of a weird one for us tho - paying decent cash for a guy thats not played since Jan cruciate injury.

Not exactly going to hit the ground running, is he (unless he wants to injure himself again..............)

Bit of a weird one for us tho - paying decent cash for a guy thats not played since Jan cruciate injury.
Not exactly going to hit the ground running, is he (unless he wants to injure himself again..............)
He is back training and is only a week or two away from a return to playing.

We need all the decent players we can get. Jim hasn't got the best out of Kyle and I suspect he won't get the most out of any replacements. How about you take Goodwin instead? A real midfield enforcer. You do not need another ball player.

54 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Get him in our team then emoji23.png.

If we can get a good pile of cash, Mallan (even just on loan for the season) and another tasty sell on (emoji8.png) I think it could be a good deal all round.

Dont get why some think we can get a load of cash given  Maginnis can sign a pre contact in January.  Would imagine Goodwin would have weighed up is the cash worth against what he sees as his captain helping him to get out the bit. Not saying I agree with that but maybe the clubs way of thinking. Dont think Hibs will put a third bid in as they have moved onto a Motherwell midfielder.  

18 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Dont get why some think we can get a load of cash given  Maginnis can sign a pre contact in January.  Would imagine Goodwin would have weighed up is the cash worth against what he sees as his captain helping him to get out the bit. Not saying I agree with that but maybe the clubs way of thinking. Dont think Hibs will put a third bid in as they have moved onto a Motherwell midfielder.  

We'd get circa £200k development fee next summer, as long as we offer him a new deal, which we would.

So any offer now, while he remains in contract, would need to be significantly in excess of that.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We'd get circa £200k development fee next summer, as long as we offer him a new deal, which we would.

So any offer now, while he remains in contract, would need to be significantly in excess of that.

I knew you get a development fee did not realise it was 200k. So it would need to be a big club who sign him at the end of his contract.  

32 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just read the case of Dundee United signing of a 19 year old Rangers player who went through their youth system.  United ordered to pay £170,000 plus vat. As you wrote parent club needs to offer a contract in a certain time scale. 

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Magennis back for start of Betfred cup. Flynn two weeks after that. Dennis has a serious injury no time scale mentioned.  P.D.E.

Let's hope they're all still St Mirren players by then. If the Betfred cup games turn out to be a platform for Magennis getting fitness back then they'll be a really welcome break from league action. I'd also like to think they'll be a chance to remove the shackles from the midfield. On the flipside, if we happen to struggle in games against lower-league teams who've barely kicked a ball while we've played a quarter of our season, then the knives could really be out for Goodwin. Probably best to play a tight, counterattacking 4-5-1 just in case, eh? 😬

Realm shame about Dennis: as @djchapsticks mentioned earlier, he looked promising against Hibs. He was making space in the box, and moving in a way that our other strikers don't seem to. Only a snapshot, but enough to suggest he's got something about him.

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Let's hope they're all still St Mirren players by then. If the Betfred cup games turn out to be a platform for Magennis getting fitness back then they'll be a really welcome break from league action. I'd also like to think they'll be a chance to remove the shackles from the midfield. On the flipside, if we happen to struggle in games against lower-league teams who've barely kicked a ball while we've played a quarter of our season, then the knives could really be out for Goodwin. Probably best to play a tight, counterattacking 4-5-1 just in case, eh? 😬

Realm shame about Dennis: as @djchapsticks mentioned earlier, he looked promising against Hibs. He was making space in the box, and moving in a way that our other strikers don't seem to. Only a snapshot, but enough to suggest he's got something about him.

If the two week lockdown is true from the 9th of October think that would be good for us time to get Magennis and Flynn back for when the restart kicks in.