The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Correct. As I wrote in the thread about established Premiership clubs, we're in a group of clubs that will usually struggle to sustain Premiership football and will yoyo between the two top divisions. To be fair, Motherwell and Killie have somehow managed to establish themselves with similar resources, but I always think we will be struggling in the top flight.

According to the details published last season, in the Scotsman IIRC, only one or possibly two clubs were spending less money than us -  certainly Hamilton were. So I have no idea why we would suddenly be presumed to be big spenders.

8 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

In Bowie's interview with Spiers in The Times last weekend, he said they had reviewed and cut this seasons buget in March as lockdown hit...... by how much, he didn't say.

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

We also went public in May saying that our budget was to be significantly reduced. Indeed that was part of how Tait ended up at St Mirren as there was the whole revised contract affair (which Robinson actually hinted at below).

If we're turning this into a competition, St Johnstone have slashed their budget to the point we have 15 contracted senior (played more than 10 top flight games) players, yet can't sign anyone until players leaves. One of those players is apparently virtually on a "pay per play" deal with a incredibly low base wage bumped up by appearance bonuses.

Good luck to anyone trying to claim they've got a smaller budget.

Speaking of nippy wee p***ks, didn't James Grady have something to do with our club for a while there? Like, youth dev or something. I swear I haven't dreamt that.

Edit: never mind, I think his son plays for a Saints youth team and that's about it. 

Edited by Coventry Saint

I'm not in the #GoodwinOUT camp yet BUT we really need to up our performances/results soon or i'll be calling for change. We can’t f**k about waiting for a manager and team to come good if we’re wanting to stay in the Premiership. I'd even take a well performed loss to cheer myself up a bit...

The players need to shoulder some blame but most of it lies with JG and his mental tactics. What the f**k he was trying at Tannadice with Obika wide of a three behind Erwin is anyone’s guess and on Saturday to basically surrender possession of the ball to Kilmarnock and hope to stifle them for 90mins at home is close to a sackable offence in itself. This is a Kilmarnock team that hadn’t won away from home in 16 games and leak as many goals as they score btw…

There is no fight & no desire in our team at the moment – two things Goodwin had in an ample quantity as a player. So, it’s worrying that he cannot seem to get this out of his players.

Since their injuries and our downturn in performances Flynn & Magennis appear to have become better players in the eyes of our fans. I’m not entirely convinced that they’re the golden gems that we’re missing from the team or that they will return the same players they were pre injury. We need a creator and a goalscorer (and players than can defend, actually) and IMO Flynn & Magennis are neither of those kind of players.

Edited by Spam_Valley

18 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Genuine question, because I can't think of any examples: does anyone know of any manager who has ever successfully changed their style/philosophy? Certainly don't think it's applied to any of our managers.

Didn't Danny Lennon sort of manage it. We were far more direct in his first year- particulalry lumping it to Higdon, but when he got Teale, Hasselbaink in he became much more passing and pace based. 

19 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

There is no fight & no desire in our team at the moment – two things Goodwin had in an ample quantity as a player. So, it’s worrying that he cannot seem to get this out of his players.

Since their injuries and our downturn in performances Flynn & Magennis appear to have become better players in the eyes of our fans. I’m not entirely convinced that they’re the golden gems that we’re missing from the team or that they will return the same players they were pre injury. We need a creator and a goalscorer (and players than can defend, actually) and IMO Flynn & Magennis are neither of those kind of players.

The tactics have been bonkers and very frustrating. I do wonder about the closed door element, there is no way the fans would accept the shite on Saturday- that was tactics against the old firm not Kilmarnock. Tait even commented something similar about the fans would be on their backs. I don't think we are a bad team, but Goodwin has them playing way too defensively especially given lack of defensive cover and his solution to not scoring is 'buying more strikers' when it is our tactics at fault. 

I get what you mean about Flynn and Magennis and whilst neither are worldbeaters and going to turn us into top 4 material, both are very good players- indeed last season were regular starters. Flynn is good in possession and distributing the ball and Magennis too gives us a little bit more dig in midfield but I think MacPherson kind of fills that role. Worry is if Foley and Durmas are off the boil (possibly due to Goodwin's style) then...

On 27/09/2020 at 14:54, aldo_j said:

I think there’s a player in McGrath, but we never play on the front foot to benefit him. He’s the one that does try to find the right pass.

Heard Tait on the commentary saying McGrath is one of the best players he’s trained with. He’s so frustrating because you see one or two glimpses of quality a game, but at other points he’s over running the ball or misdirecting passes. St Mirren don’t seem to have any player in the midfield that’s got the composure to hold the ball, allow the team to reset and play a pass forward to start an attack. Their display on Saturday was one of the worst I’ve seen from a top division side in many years. 

12 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Heard Tait on the commentary saying McGrath is one of the best players he’s trained with. He’s so frustrating because you see one or two glimpses of quality a game, but at other points he’s over running the ball or misdirecting passes. St Mirren don’t seem to have any player in the midfield that’s got the composure to hold the ball, allow the team to reset and play a pass forward to start an attack. Their display on Saturday was one of the worst I’ve seen from a top division side in many years. 

I’d agree with all of that.

saw the goal again at lunch at it was so easy for Kilmarnock. McGrath and Durmus outmuscled pretty easily, Fraser absolutely kippered by a simple 1-2 and Erahon probably not positioned best to fill the hole in midfield. The space afforded to Burke was criminal. 

8 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Speaking of nippy wee p***ks, didn't James Grady have something to do with our club for a while there? Like, youth dev or something. I swear I haven't dreamt that.

Edit: never mind, I think his son plays for a Saints youth team and that's about it. 

He was a striking coach at the club for a while also, just in case you were going to seek help for dreaming about James Grady 😛

51 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

I’d agree with all of that.

saw the goal again at lunch at it was so easy for Kilmarnock. McGrath and Durmus outmuscled pretty easily, Fraser absolutely kippered by a simple 1-2 and Erahon probably not positioned best to fill the hole in midfield. The space afforded to Burke was criminal. 

The thing about the game on Saturday was Kilmarnock didn’t even have to play well. Burke I think had 2 or 3 runs at Fraser, one resulting in the goal, but apart from that I don’t remember any other clear chances. That’s not a good sign for St Mirren because at the same time as Kilmarnock not playing great they absolutely strolled it. Someone said earlier on they struggle to identify exactly how St Mirren play and it’s so true. When the Kilmarnock centre half’s had possession St Mirren dropped back to the sort of formation you would expect to see from a team holding onto a 1-0 lead in the 89th minute, but that was happening from the word go. 

Definitely losing patience with Goodwin. He has absolutely no idea what our best starting XI and formation should be. Now I don’t know this for a fact and can’t be arsed checking it tbh but I very much doubt we’ve played the same starting line up and formation two games running.

We have absolutely zero creative midfield players. If this is Kyle McAllister the fittest he’s ever been then just get him to f**k. He’s either not good enough or not interested enough. Or both.

Obika is shite. Barring one fortunate overhead kick every goal he’s scored has hit off a different part of his body.

I’m still not convinced Morias is actually a football player. Maybe he took a wrong turning going for a trial for Paisley Rugby Club.

Our decent players from last season (McCarthy, McPherson, Durmas and the skipper) have regressed so much since the restart. Maybe because of the constant change in formation.

Something has to change. If we carry on like this we’ll be down by Christmas.

54 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Given how poor we've been for the most part this season,  we really shouldn't be considering any bids for our better players.

We need Magennis back playing , not selling him. Hopefully the board hold firm.