The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Strange that Jakubiak has gone to Dundee, they're cutting players' wages and apparently we couldn't afford him. 

I think JG may have been telling porkies , unless Dundee are paying 6-7K a week for him.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

How was Alex Jakubiak for you? Soften the blow of losing Hemmings? Good link up with Mullen?

Goodwin said he could sign three players for the price of Jakubiak's wages. Hence, why we're not signing him.

Didn't really link up with Mullen, as Mullen wasn't getting a look in.

Linked really well with Obika though.

Just now, Munoz said:

I think JG may have been telling porkies , unless Dundee are paying 6-7K a week for him.

The average weekly salary at Watford was £30K in 2019.

I doubt that JG was telling porkies.

It is Dundee we are talking about here. They’ve been full of dodgy money for years.

FWIW I never really seen the big deal with Jakubiak. 10 appearances and 1 goal, which was in the cup. That’s awful numbers for a striker and I hope and think we can do better.

Does seem a little odd, even if we could/couldn't afford him he certainly seemed to be capable of hacking it in the Premiership. Maybe Dundee gave him a guarantee of first pick which he wouldn't have got with us, albeit he'll be playing just 3/4 of a season.

Dundee have got 2 very good strikers for Championship level. Surprised Jakubiak hasn't got a club in the Premiership as he's a very nifty player. Danny Mullen everything you need in a striker for Championship, won't be thrown about by the diddies most clubs have at centre half. 

Dundee fans would be able to enlighten on this but....

They signed Steven Caulker a couple of years ago to everyone's surprise. However, he had a clause in his contract which meant he could walk away from the club at any time. He did just that not long after the club had reportedly turned down a £££££££ offer for him.

Might be a similar deal for Jakubiak. Would allow him to sign for someone else outside the transfer windows. Back to England once a suitable club expresses an interest?

Edited by Buttocks Brown

Good foil for Obika, that's all he was. He scored 1 in 10 games for us at the end of the day.

He came to us following his Watford release with a price via his agent, we instantly baulked at it and that was the end of it.

Dundee have came back in and got him on a significantly lesser wage than he asked us for initially about 6 weeks ago (presumably we know this as his agent has come back to us to try and match the revised offer) and we've still not taken him up on it, so Goodwin clearly didn't think he was worthy of the wage he was asking. 

No big deal, really.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Good foil for Obika, that's all he was. He scored 1 in 10 games for us at the end of the day.

He came to us following his Watford release with a price via his agent, we instantly baulked at it and that was the end of it.

Dundee have came back in and got him on a significantly lesser wage than he asked us for initially about 6 weeks ago (presumably we know this as his agent has come back to us to try and match the revised offer) and we've still not taken him up on it, so Goodwin clearly didn't think he was worthy of the wage he was asking. 

No big deal, really.

You seem very ITK these days, which strikers does JG have his eyes on?

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Dundee fans would be able to enlighten on this but....

They signed Steven Caulker a couple of years ago to everyone's surprise. However, he had a clause in his contract which meant he could walk away from the club at any time. He did just that not long after the club had reportedly turned down a £££££££ offer for him.

Might be a similar deal for Jakubiak. Would allow him to sign for someone else outside the transfer windows. Back to England once a suitable club expresses an interest?

Caulker was a one-off. He had relatives in Kinross so he could stay with them while he was getting himself sorted out. Neil McCann realised there might be a deal and sold the idea to Caulker. He was always going to be with Dundee for as long or as short a period as it suited him. Yeah, Dundee got a big bid, but the idea that Caulker could be packed off to sign for another club so Dundee could cash in was fanciful. It was about four months later that he chose to go. I don't have any problems at all with Caulker's or Dundee's actions. It was a special case that only arose because of the player's personal problems.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No big deal, really.

His agent being this man might also be a factor:

Dundee Football Club on Twitter: "BORN ON THIS DAY 1980: Former ...

Once said his only regret in his career is that he never got to join Dundee when he was in his 20s and became a supporter for life.

I never really got the hype with Jakubiak either, I just thought he gave the ball away far too much. He always seemed too slow in passing, a there was a lot of head down, aimless dribbling. Obika did seem to play a lot better after he arrived mind you, but I'm still not convinced that wouldn't have happened anyway, I certainly don't remember many assists from him either.

I wonder if we might be sniffing around Hemmings now?