djchapsticks

The St. Mirren FC 2020/21 Top Four/Six Party Thread

I’d like to think by this stage GS and Fitzy know what they’re doing, although this does seem slightly short sighted.

Signings have massively improved since he has been appointed and can’t be coincidence, I’d happily sacrifice a players wage to minimise the chances of signing an absolute dud.

Amount of money we have wasted in wages and pay offs in recent seasons on players would pay for 10 technical directors!

Gus' role has apparently become more and more of a bit part since Goodwin arrived.

Kearney leaned quite heavily on Gus at the start and he was hugely instrumental in January 2019. We were told at the time that a manager leaving on short notice would never put us in a position where we'd fallen behind on transfer targets but clearly in practice it didn't quite work last summer when OK left.

Since he's got into the role, Goodwin has said that almost all recruitment is sourced by himself and then handed over to Fitzy for negotiations. Gus seems to have been shunted into the background somewhat. A shame as I hate to see anyone lose their job and Gus, polarising figure though he is, is definitely a modern day St. Mirren legend for what he achieved.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Robert Grieve of the Sun is reporting that Gus Macpherson is leaving. 

Appears that he's done a good job, I suppose with these behind the scenes roles we never really see how much of an impact he's had but I think he'll be a loss. I wonder if they'll look to replace him or use this as a cost cutting exercise. They should bring in Danny Lennon for a nice piece of symmetry. 

I don't think his departure will be any great loss. 

A bit surprised about this. I assumed that Gus's appointment was a long-term change to the club's structure. Maybe it was just to help out Kearney as he was in his first FT post?

Considering his relationship with Gordon Scott, I would doubt we're sending Gus onto the dole. SFA post? Anyone in the lower leagues looking for a boss?

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Gus' role has apparently become more and more of a bit part since Goodwin arrived.

Kearney leaned quite heavily on Gus at the start and he was hugely instrumental in January 2019. We were told at the time that a manager leaving on short notice would never put us in a position where we'd fallen behind on transfer targets but clearly in practice it didn't quite work last summer when OK left.

Since he's got into the role, Goodwin has said that almost all recruitment is sourced by himself and then handed over to Fitzy for negotiations. Gus seems to have been shunted into the background somewhat. A shame as I hate to see anyone lose their job and Gus, polarising figure though he is, is definitely a modern day St. Mirren legend for what he achieved.

Pretty much sums up my opinion -

Whether it was GMs fault or we're just to small a club for a DoF role it didn't work out last summer, also our signing policy changed to focus on more experienced players on 2 year contracts once JG arrived - all this was pretty much acknowledged by GLS  last autumn when he said events had left us "behind the curve".

Again as you say GM had a pivotal role in The Great Escape Mk II so he leaves with my best wishes.

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

How come we were able to sign Thorvaldsson on loan?

Probably clubs wanting to sign players before signing off on the players coming to us?

Think McPherson leaving is more down him being surplus to requirements than anything else.

Goodwin himself, and Sharp, will have a very good knowledge of the transfer scene, and will be using the online recruitment tools that seem to be the norm nowadays.

Why pay a wage when you don't have to? Especially when times are tough.

In some ways I suppose it's a bit like switchboard operators losing their job because a company uses a computerised phone answering service instead.

Edited by FTOF

18 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Has anyone seen any pictures from the cardboard cut out fans? 

Naw, they keep dropping the camera. 😘

22 minutes ago, Silvio said:

The very brief highlights on the BBC website homes in on some at one point.

Raging. How did Ann Budge get into the stadium when we aren't allowed in? Screenshot_20200803-120106_WhatsApp.jpeg

Yeah that’s bad news for us.

Compare recruitment pre Gus and post Gus and it’s night and day. Don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Would have been other, more outspoken, guys at the top I would have cut before Gus.

He certainly leaves us in a much better position than he found us. Just like he did when he left for the first time in 2010.

I’m sure he’ll get another job - either in the dugout or upstairs - fairly quickly and his new club will be lucky to have him.

Sky Sports News call Him Gus Walker!!! They really don’t give a f*** about anyone other than the bigot brothers

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Raging. How did Ann Budge get into the stadium when we aren't allowed in? Screenshot_20200803-120106_WhatsApp.jpeg

It's the only way she'll be seeing top-flight football this season.

I would have got rid of Tony before Gus.  

Yes i know how much the fans love him,  but i just feel Gus is a better person to have at the club than Tony. 

The out cry when Gus came in , the out cry when Gus leaves. The club income has been slashed. Goodwin towork with a smaller squad so if you can save a wage on backroom staff for a player it's a no brainer.  

The out cry when Gus came in , the out cry when Gus leaves. The club income has been slashed. Goodwin towork with a smaller squad so if you can save a wage on backroom staff for a player it's a no brainer.  

Depends who the player is, if it’s for a Josh Heaton, Cole Kpekawa, Jeff King etc then it’s obvious the value Gus brought.

19 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Depends who the player is, if it’s for a Josh Heaton, Cole Kpekawa, Jeff King etc then it’s obvious the value Gus brought.

To be fair there is only one fool who would have signd these players. I'm not saying I'm happy Gus is gone. I'm saying our income has dropped by quite a margin.