Jump to content
djchapsticks

The St. Mirren FC 2020/21 Top Four/Six Party Thread

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I was most interested that aside from saying we were nearly there with the squad (one forward to come in), Goodwin mentioned Kieran Offord and Dylan Reid are not far away from being on the fringes of the first team picture. 

Kieran is 16 and a centre forward, although he wasn't one of the academy boys brought up to the seniors this season, Jim has been giving him game time in friendlies and has said he could well get minutes this season, particularly in the cups. 

Dylan Reid is a centre mid who has just turned 15 in March and is being watched by Benfica and Bayern Munich who both invited him out to train with them in December. There must be a new rule in place that restricts players under 16 from being in the first team squad as Jim has mentioned his frustration that he can't involve the lad in any matchday squads due to his age. 

If Dylan is as good as is suggested,  we should try and get him on a Jim McLean type of contract as soon as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FTOF said:

If Foley doesn't start, I wonder who the captain will be. Conor McCarthy?

Could probably pick any one of the back four to be honest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Could probably pick any one of the back four to be honest!

Expect Tait to get the nod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, elvis said:
50 minutes ago, AW saint said:
He had a hernia op

Oh shit not good.

Not really bad.

He's back in full training and will get minutes on Saturday, he'll just not be ready to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that Jim feels he was too negative at the start of last season, and that won't be the case this year. 4-4-2 on Sat?

Alnwick

Fraser McCarthy Shaughnessy Tait

McAllister MacPherson Sheron Durmus

Morias Obika

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ulysses said:

Interesting that Jim feels he was too negative at the start of last season, and that won't be the case this year. 4-4-2 on Sat?

Alnwick

Fraser McCarthy Shaughnessy Tait

McAllister MacPherson Sheron Durmus

Morias Obika

Pretty much my team apart from one change.

Possibly swap Morias for McGrath and move him back to attacking mid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m gutted that we don’t have the paper to bring Jakubiak back to the club. He was the perfect partner for Obika. If we are in for Bayo on loan from Celtic then it might not happen soon as he’s got a hamstring injury at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like @djchapsticks mentioned, the comment about Reid and Offord is interesting, especially as we've already added 3 new youth players to the squad, and Goodwin's desire to promote from within.

Foley having an hernia operation isn't a big worry, these things are pretty standard these days, it must have been a last minute thing though as I can't imagine it would be planned this close to the start of the season.

 

 

Edited by Ric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Pretty much my team apart from one change.

Possibly swap Morias for McGrath and move him back to attacking mid.

Agree can see Jim going with one up front backed up by an attacking midfield. With Livie you need a tight midfield.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ric said:

Like @djchapsticks mentioned, the comment about Reid and Offord is interesting, especially as we've already added 3 new youth players to the squad, and Goodwin's desire to promote from within.

Foley having an hernia operation isn't a big worry, these things are pretty standard these days, it must have been a last minute thing though as I can't imagine it would be planned this close to the start of the season.

The surgery was scheduled just as lockdown hit. Last week was the first opportunity to get it done. Hence, the untimely nature of the surgery.

JG said he should re- start full training on Thursday and probably be on the bench. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I was most interested that aside from saying we were nearly there with the squad (one forward to come in), Goodwin mentioned Kieran Offord and Dylan Reid are not far away from being on the fringes of the first team picture. 

Kieran is 16 and a centre forward, although he wasn't one of the academy boys brought up to the seniors this season, Jim has been giving him game time in friendlies and has said he could well get minutes this season, particularly in the cups. 

Dylan Reid is a centre mid who has just turned 15 in March and is being watched by Benfica and Bayern Munich who both invited him out to train with them in December. There must be a new rule in place that restricts players under 16 from being in the first team squad as Jim has mentioned his frustration that he can't involve the lad in any matchday squads due to his age. 

 

2 hours ago, RossC93 said:

Would be interesting to find out what this might be - I remember Hamilton bringing through 14/15 year olds in the last few years.

Maybe it's because they're so good, we don't want them getting poached before they've signed on properly. 😋

Agree with DJC, though: absolute scenes if we've got a couple of 16-year-olds already knocking on the door of the first team. One of my absolute favourite things about Saints has been seeing the young players coming through and, in some cases, going on to much bigger things, over the past decade or so.

As always, the two challenges are a) giving them game time to develop without hanging them out to dry and then b) also not letting them go for absolute fucking buttons. I think, as a club, we are much better geared up to achieving both of those now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2020 at 14:28, RussellV1 said:

Sam Foley at a hospital in Leicester, anyone heard anything?

That explains that then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

 

Maybe it's because they're so good, we don't want them getting poached before they've signed on properly. 😋

Agree with DJC, though: absolute scenes if we've got a couple of 16-year-olds already knocking on the door of the first team. One of my absolute favourite things about Saints has been seeing the young players coming through and, in some cases, going on to much bigger things, over the past decade or so.

As always, the two challenges are a) giving them game time to develop without hanging them out to dry and then b) also not letting them go for absolute fucking buttons. I think, as a club, we are much better geared up to achieving both of those now.

Totally agree, seeing young players progress is definitely one of my favourite things. Almost gives you a sort of proud dad feeling to see the likes of McGinn and McLean playing regularly and doing well in the Premier League or turning out for Scotland. 

At the likes of St Mirren we don't get a lot of silverware, so getting youth players to a high level feels a real achievement for the club. 

Edited by houston_bud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

Totally agree, seeing young players progress is definitely one of my favourite things. Almost gives you a sort of proud dad feeling to see the likes of McGinn and McLean playing regularly and doing well in the Premier League or turning out for Scotland. 

At the likes of St Mirren we don't get a lot of silverware, so getting youth players to a high level feels a real achievement for the club. 

100% - especially now I am actually old enough to be their dad! I'm not one of those 'who gives a f**k; they don't play for Saints any more' types. I love to see it.

Everything is cyclical and there was a danger the academy was falling into a fallow period after producing so many: much bigger clubs than us suffer with similar issues. I'm therefore very excited about the idea of a few guys coming through the ranks again. 

The weirdest thing is that neither Reid nor Henderson's surnames begin with M: McGinn, Mooy (f**k it, I'm counting him!), McLean, McGinn, Morgan, Mallan, Magennis, McAllister, McPherson is quite the run of talent.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

The weirdest thing is that neither Reid nor Henderson's surnames begin with M: McGinn, Mooy (f**k it, I'm counting him!), McLean, McGinn, Mallan, Mallan, Magennis, McAllister is quite the run of talent.

Neither does Josh Jack, Lewis Jamieson or Keiran Offord. ;) 

 

Anyway, you can have Mooy, you're not getting Mallan twice though :lol: .....sub him out for Cammy MacPherson. You've missed Morgan too.

Even at that, there's still another few non M players who came through and have had decent careers. Baird, Naismith, Kelly, Lappin.

We churn out an average of one or two players a year over the last 15-20 years who go on to have either very good or strong careers in the top flight which is a testament to the youth setup working.

In the 90s when there was nothing in terms of real youth, very few players made the move up and carved a consistently good top flight career out. Burton O'Brien and David McNamee came through at the same time and did relatively well. Gillies and Basher had their chance and did next to nothing. Murray and McLaughlin stayed with us most of their careers. McGarry started promisingly and tailed off quickly and the only other one to go out and make a decent fist of it was Chris Iwelumo but he was gone at 17.

The level of player we produce nowadays is night and day to what it was in the 90s and early 2000s. Simon Lappin and Stevie McGinn were the two that really kicked off the upswing in quality....funnily enough that would have been around the time Davie Longwell showed up and changed the way the club operated.

Edited by djchapsticks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Neither does Josh Jack, Lewis Jamieson or Keiran Offord. ;) 

 

Anyway, you can have Mooy, you're not getting Mallan twice though :lol: .....sub him out for Cammy MacPherson. You've missed Morgan too.

 

FFS! I'd forgotten Cammy, but one of those Mallans was meant to be Morgan. Balls.

Edit: was just wondering how Morgan was getting on, so Googled Inter Miami. This was what came up. 😬

Teething trouble for the franchise, perhaps. He does appear to be starting for them, which is something. Not sure I'd fancy the pressure of wearing number 7 in a team owned by Beckham, tbf.

image.thumb.png.691dcb1d65f31967a874d18383b9da75.png

Edited by Coventry Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup got logged in and working. Hopefully all will be good by Saturday. Hearing they are going to possibly do a training session or bounce match between the squad at the ground tomorrow to test it in a live environment as the live feed just now is last seasons highlights and the following:

 

image.thumb.png.f209e4483aa545afa4e65aab4789a988.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...