The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, RossC93 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. All he really says is there's a space in the top 6 after the OF, Aberdeen, Motherwell & Hibs this season. There's no reason why we shouldn't have that mindset, when you see the likes of Livi, Killie & St Johnstone punching well above their weight in recent years. 

This is markedly different from saying we belong in the top six though. Something that he's gone on record as saying several times in the past. 

44 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fair point re the injury returns.

Re the bit in bold, though, I've always found the idea of bringing players in in the order that we need them to be an odd one and it's one of those weird football cliches that seems to pervade. They're going to have targets and it's completely impossible to work down that list in a linear way. We'd miss a lot of targets if we did, and it'd be mental to turn down Fitzpatrick just because we also still need a fullback.

I agree to an extent, however if Goodwin is sticking to his claim he's looking for three more players then I don't think a winger should be one of them.

I've no idea what Fitzpatrick is like though, if he's amazing then obviously sign him!

12 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. All he really says is there's a space in the top 6 after the OF, Aberdeen, Motherwell & Hibs this season. 

Hibs didn't even finish in the top half last season...

Fitzpatrick is wrong, plain and simple. If St Mirren acted the same way Hearts have done I would stop supporting the club - it really is as simple as that.

As for them finishing top 6, what many seem to forget is that for long periods St Mirren were a top 6 club. While that hasn't happened in recent memory, it's certainly not unreasonable to think we can achieve the same again.

Edited by Ric

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

I agree to an extent, however if Goodwin is sticking to his claim he's looking for three more players then I don't think a winger should be one of them.

Fair point.

Slightly side issue, but there's a decent chance that we - and other clubs - are hedging our bets at the moment until the outcome of the Hearts fiasco is known. I don't believe for a second that Hearts will get any meaningful compensation, but if they do, and we have to contribute, then that's at least a player gone from the budget. Once they've properly taken their rightful place at the bottom of the fucking sea, maybe the purse strings will be loosened slightly.

43 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. All he really says is there's a space in the top 6 after the OF, Aberdeen, Motherwell & Hibs this season. There's no reason why we shouldn't have that mindset, when you see the likes of Livi, Killie & St Johnstone punching well above their weight in recent years. He isn't putting JG under pressure to do achieve top four or top six, he just has the ambition to reach that level a few years down the line. He talks a lot about gradually moving forward and referenced coming up from the Championship and remaining the Premiership in the last couple of years. 

It also draws a lot of seethe from other supporters, which is always a bonus too. 

Spot on. Nothing wrong with optimism,  especially when you see clubs smaller than ourselves finish in the top 6.

46 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. All he really says is there's a space in the top 6 after the OF, Aberdeen, Motherwell & Hibs this season. There's no reason why we shouldn't have that mindset, when you see the likes of Livi, Killie & St Johnstone punching well above their weight in recent years. He isn't putting JG under pressure to do achieve top four or top six, he just has the ambition to reach that level a few years down the line. He talks a lot about gradually moving forward and referenced coming up from the Championship and remaining the Premiership in the last couple of years. 

It also draws a lot of seethe from other supporters, which is always a bonus too. 

Hibs didn't even finish in the top 6 last season, no idea why they would be such certainties to do so this time.

24 minutes ago, Ric said:

Fitzpatrick is wrong, plain and simple. If St Mirren acted the same way Hearts have done I would stop supporting the club - it really is as simple as that.

As for them finishing top 6, what many seem to forget is that for long periods St Mirren were a top 6 club. While that hasn't happened in recent memory, it's certainly not unreasonable to think we can achieve the same again.

This hilarity is not him saying St Mirren could finish in the top 6.

The hilarity is him claiming its where "St Mirren deserve to be", while simultaneously claiming St Mirren are a club who should be "regularly competing for trophies and playing in Europe".

Its mental, never mind him saying its "unacceptable" for St Mirren to simply want to avoid relegation as a main aim and the pressure that heaps on Goodwin.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just a wee reminder that St Mirren have historically been a top 10, if not top 6 club, throughout history. The last couple of decades (plus some time in the 70s) have seen our most fallow times.

Now you could argue it's putting too much pressure on Goodwin, I'm not so sure to be honest as Goodwin himself has been quite vocal that we should be finishing in a much better position than we are now.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The hilarity is him claiming its where "St Mirren deserve to be", while simultaneously claiming St Mirren are a club who should be "regularly competing for trophies and playing in Europe".

Its mental, never mind him saying its "unacceptable" for St Mirren to simply want to avoid relegation as a main aim and the pressure that heaps on Goodwin.

I'm not saying the quote from Fitzpatrick is correct. During Fitzpatrick's  playing day's  with Saints  he did finish in the top six quite regularly. Fitzpatrick bases these current comments  on his own success. The guy loves the club in short he is saying I did it you can do it also. 

Just now, ZingaliMan said:

I'm not saying the quote from Fitzpatrick is correct. During Fitzpatrick's  playing day's  with Saints  he did finish in the top six quite regularly. Fitzpatrick bases these current comments  on his own success. The guy loves the club in short he is saying I did it you can do it also. 

He's a moron.

Its the equivalent of Willie Miller coming out and claiming any Aberdeen side who doesn't win the Champions League is a failure, as that's where that club belong to be.

He's a moron.
Its the equivalent of Willie Miller coming out and claiming any Aberdeen side who doesn't win the Champions League is a failure, as that's where that club belong to be.

Yep that’s the same [emoji849]

2 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Yep that’s the same emoji849.png

Theres 2 years difference between Aberdeen winning a European trophy and St Mirren last finishing in the top 6.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We compete for trophies every season, to be fair. We just tend to lose.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres 2 years difference between Aberdeen winning a European trophy and St Mirren last finishing in the top 6.

So to be clear, you think Aberdeen winning the Champions League is exactly the same level of achievement to them as finishing 6th a few seasons in a row would be to St Mirren?