The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

40 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

I’d be surprised. There isn’t a relationship with this current coaching staff so don’t see him getting a shot ahead of any other free agents. Or, perhaps the trial was to let Jim see?

Who knows, but there’s definitely some damp patches forming within our support.

One look on BAWA confirms there is some early leakage. One poster going as far as calling pre season a disappointment despite us being one of the most active teams in the division so far. 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

You have got some imagination there. Its pre-season usually means speculation. Goodwin has said he wants his full squad in as quickly as possible so he can work with the squad.  Dont see any panic anywhere except in your mind. 

He was in the press on Friday saying that although he wanted signings in, patience was key in getting the correct folk over the line. 

This has the hallmarks of last pre season when a few folk were actively lobbying that we should be signing hopeless shite like Louis Longridge because the squad was paper thin at that point. 

Just now, djchapsticks said:

One look on BAWA confirms there is some early leakage. One poster going as far as calling pre season a disappointment despite us being one of the most active teams in the division so far. 

We could sign all of our targets in one sitting, unveil them all on the first day of pre-season training, and people would complain that we've jumped the gun.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m with Coventry Saint I just love all the speculation and potential signings that pop up on social media outlets. It’s even better when players do actually sign, and they are not the ones touted by those in the know. 😜

To be fair Vince it read - heard Davies played can anyone confirm.  I just added my bit as Davis in the press saying he would like to come back. He is a decent player was disappointed he left he has quality.  

14 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

To be fair Vince it read - heard Davies played can anyone confirm.  I just added my bit as Davis in the press saying he would like to come back. He is a decent player was disappointed he left he has quality.  

Not a criticism bud, I’m just saying that I like this time of the proceedings , when you get all sorts of names flung in the hat as potential signings. As you know most are fanciful but it makes for some good pre season banter.

Edited by glenburn bud
Typo 😂

It's all good and well Harry saying he would like to come back, that doesn't necessarily mean the club has any interest to do so. He knocked back the chance to stay last time round after the club seen him through a long-term injury. 

He was a very decent player in the championship and looked the part vs Celtic in the cup as a test against stronger opposition, though I am not sure if he is the right fit now we are further down the line.

26 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

It's all good and well Harry saying he would like to come back, that doesn't necessarily mean the club has any interest to do so. He knocked back the chance to stay last time round after the club seen him through a long-term injury. 

He was a very decent player in the championship and looked the part vs Celtic in the cup as a test against stronger opposition, though I am not sure if he is the right fit now we are further down the line.

Such blasphemy, next you'll be suggesting Billy Mehmet and Andy Dorman aren't up to scratch.. ;)

Ok, so my thinking on Davis is this. If he's available then there is absolutely no reason not to get him up here and see what level his fitness is. As someone said, the management team (or even the playing staff) isn't the same. Goodwin wouldn't have played with him as he left us to go to Alloa the season before Davis joined us.

Like you, I think he showed himself capable of cutting it at a higher level than the Championship. There is the negative that he skipped out when he had the chance to stay, but on the flip side it seems that he retains a certain love for the club so maybe there were circumstances we weren't aware of. He hasn't been offered a new deal at Grimsby but with the current situation it's tough to make a call on that. It does raise an eyebrow none the less.

So a mix of positives and negatives, but I certainly think (if he was willing) I'd want to see him being given a look. He might be asking for way more money than we can pay though, as I can't imagine we could match what the English Leagues (even League Two) could.

Edited by Ric

19 hours ago, aldo_j said:

I’d be surprised. There isn’t a relationship with this current coaching staff so don’t see him getting a shot ahead of any other free agents. Or, perhaps the trial was to let Jim see?

Who knows, but there’s definitely some damp patches forming within our support.

Unusually for me I'm feeling quite positive about this season - JG came in quite late last summer after the OK, erm, fiasco and had a pretty good success rate with his signings and managed a squad that was a bit light in numbers (which will be crucial in the next 2/3 seasons) about as well as could have been hoped for - the only game I can remember going home thinking we didn't really compete in was the 0-3 against Motherwell and even then I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as that was when Gary-M was injured and he had learned the lessons and shuffled the pack by the weekend game moving MacPherson to midfield and putting Flynn at RB..

As ever there will be troubles ahead but I'm ready to face the music and dance...

1 hour ago, btb said:

the only game I can remember going home thinking we didn't really compete in was the 0-3 against Motherwell..

That 5-2 debacle against Hearts, but you are right, out of the whole season it wasn't that we weren't competing - more that the results weren't going our way.

25 minutes ago, Ric said:

That 5-2 debacle against Hearts, but you are right, out of the whole season it wasn't that we weren't competing - more that the results weren't going our way.

The biggest disappointment for me was the home cup game against Aberdeen. Thought we had shown we could take the game to a team at that approximate level vs Motherwell, but we were bitterly disappointing and really didn't lay a glove on Aberdeen at all.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

The biggest disappointment for me was the home cup game against Aberdeen. Thought we had shown we could take the game to a team at that approximate level vs Motherwell, but we were bitterly disappointing and really didn't lay a glove on Aberdeen at all.

Yeah, that one too. It shows that Goodwin is doing a fairly decent job organising the squad when we are struggling to list games where we threw in the towel, normally its a case of listing the games where we gave it our all.

Got an email from the club earlier stating that any season tickets sold from now, the funds will be going directly towards the playing budget. 

Hopefully a wee push of a few hundred will see us able to add an extra new face. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Got an email from the club earlier stating that any season tickets sold from now, the funds will be going directly towards the playing budget. 

Hopefully a wee push of a few hundred will see us able to add an extra new face. 

Not sure if good marketing or a bit cynical. Perhaps a touch of both.

Not complaining, we all know the situation the club is in even in "normal" seasons.

In a way its forward thinking. There is no question a second wave of covid19 will come back in the winter. Dont think there is a scientist who said it wont. I'm sure the club have done a forecast account taking another shut down a strong possibility.    EDIT Just watching News Night so covid19 thrives at 4c worrying that's a temperature Scotland hits frequently in winter months. Adds up given the problem meat product factories are having given they work at fridge temperature 5c / 4c

Edited by ZingaliMan

Year to the day since we were given a wake-up call by Dunfermline in the LC. OK, we made a game of it in the end, but they ripped us apart in that first half. I was very surprised they didn't go on to have a better season than they did.

When you look at that line-up, and that six/seven of them (Baird, Mack, Erhahon, McGinn, Mullen, Cooke, and arguably Andreu never became a guaranteed starter) struggled for game time last season and/or were bombed out altogether, I wonder if Jim made his mind up about many of them that day.

66819801_10157759843522345_187366810121666560_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=stdlGuIcE4AAX_Utw4H&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=76e2ed581137e708d214ebf758da15a1&oe=5F319160

20 hours ago, Ric said:

Yeah there were others outside the Well game but what I meant  to say was that was the only sub-par performance I attended.