The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

He didn't come out after the playoff because he was wanting a pay off when he left, so he worked his ticket until the end of June, with no intention of staying and left us in a shit state, with half the transfer window gone and about 10 first team players signed.
Ross left for a far bigger club in May after saving us from relegation then getting us promoted, and we got compensation for him. I dont think they are really comparable situations.
Definitely not comparable.

JR left us in a place where he promised to take us so his job was complete in a way, just felt like unfinished business. Would loved to have seen what he could do with us in the top flight but I fully understand if a job offer like that comes along you can't refuse it.

I'd have more sympathy for OK if it was for the fact that rumour came out before the playoffs and that Irish mob kept the vacancy open for months. When did OK supposedly fall out with Gus?

It seemed to me at the time he worked his ticket. Just my opinion though. The Irish mob couldn't afford the compo and he wouldnt wanna resign.

I bear him no ill will but there's no doubt Kearney worked his ticket. The Coleraine return rumours went on for too long (even before the end of the season) and it pretty much levelled us. 

The honorable thing to do would have been to bow out following the playoffs and let us go about our business of replacing him but the whole 'Oh but I wanted to stay' shtick doesn't fly. 

On 17/02/2020 at 14:09, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Surely the proof that Kearney was fucked over was the poor fella having to spend a year of his life living and working in Paisley.

Poor lad.

It could have been a whole lot worse for Kearney, he could have been employed by Morton and forced to live in Greenock for 6 months. That’s something you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy.

I can't see why people get so excited about either situation no. A bigger club offering a far bigger salary come in for Ross. Absolute no brainer. Whether Kearney 'worked his ticket' or not I have no idea, I dare say there was some blame on both sides. I wouldn't blame anyone for trying to get a few quid from their employer that they thought they were entitled to though.

Football is cut throat and had Kearney started poorly this season there would have been people calling for his head.

I liked both Kearney and Ross. I was happy to see Coleraine win the league cup and I'd be happy enough to see Ross succeed at Hibs, obviously not against St Mirren.

55 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I can't see why people get so excited about either situation no. A bigger club offering a far bigger salary come in for Ross. Absolute no brainer. Whether Kearney 'worked his ticket' or not I have no idea, I dare say there was some blame on both sides. I wouldn't blame anyone for trying to get a few quid from their employer that they thought they were entitled to though.

Football is cut throat and had Kearney started poorly this season there would have been people calling for his head.

I liked both Kearney and Ross. I was happy to see Coleraine win the league cup and I'd be happy enough to see Ross succeed at Hibs, obviously not against St Mirren.

This is it. People just seemed to take both so personally. It's just football. God knows, we've been a curse for managers' careers for long enough now. It's as if we're happier letting their performances for us dwindle and then chopping them back to league one or two.

9 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Might have something to do with the options given the squad is awash with strikers. We are in deep shit if Foley is injured.

In Goodwin's interview today, he said that Foley had felt tightness in his muscles, so had to go off.

Says there are no injury issues from last night.

What a win that was last night.

On the radio they mentioned pre match that in the games when we lost the first goal we went on to lose 14 out of 17 matches. We bucked the trend last night.

Really ballsy win.

A different sort of pressure on Saturday night where I have us as slight underdogs but if we show up for the 90 minutes (not really done that all season) then we have a chance.

20 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

A different sort of pressure on Saturday night where I have us as slight underdogs but if we show up for the 90 minutes (not really done that all season) then we have a chance.

There's been absolutely nothing between us and Aberdeen this season, and we've shaded them at home. We were arguably unlucky to lose away, too.

As you've said, they have to be slight favourites, but it could absolutely go either way.

There's been absolutely nothing between us and Aberdeen this season, and we've shaded them at home. We were arguably unlucky to lose away, too.
As you've said, they have to be slight favourites, but it could absolutely go either way.

For all we mock each other mercilessly you’re right - anything can happen. Looking forward to visiting next week and hopefully righting the many negatives of our last trip to St Mirren.
Absolutely no predictions though.

When Ian Murray was at you guys what type of manager was he cause we’re getting the constant

1. Lumping the ball up the park

2. Bizarre substitutions and team selections

3. It’s never his fault it’s the players or the fans

4.players ain’t sharp enough and we’re gonna work on it and other excuses in training

11 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

When Ian Murray was at you guys what type of manager was he cause we’re getting the constant

1. Lumping the ball up the park

2. Bizarre substitutions and team selections

3. It’s never his fault it’s the players or the fans

4.players ain’t sharp enough and we’re gonna work on it and other excuses in training

All of the above. Seemed to come across as quite weak from a decision making perspective and just don’t think he’s cut out for being a manager. Think it’s now widely recognised that his best spell as Dumbarton manager came when Jack Ross was his assistant.

8 hours ago, aldo_j said:

All of the above. Seemed to come across as quite weak from a decision making perspective and just don’t think he’s cut out for being a manager. Think it’s now widely recognised that his best spell as Dumbarton manager came when Jack Ross was his assistant.

Dumbarton remained the best p/t team in Scotland the season after Ross left - it's a convenient rewrite but the facts don't bear it out. 

At the time I thought it was a good appointment, someone who we should be going for at the time. Just like our current manager.

He was right up against it though and looked out of his depth pretty quick. Didn't have any sort of style or way of setting his teams up.

Not the most offensive manager we have had recently but looking at where we are now and where he has ended up is no surprise really.