The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

41 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Any feedback from SMISA meeting tonight?

It’s been officially agreed that we have the best looking manager in the league, the most smouldering eyes in the league, and the best looking ex-player pundit, plying their trade on the BBC.

It’s official. We are gorgeous. We knew it anyway.

4 hours ago, monthelie' said:

Yeah, probably. Am I being hyper critical of our medical team, who let him limp off after 5 mins of treatment, then it turns out he's done his cruciate ?

Probably fair criticism. The ACL is an odd one: it's actually possible to do it and not feel like you've had a bad injury. However, I'd suggest that based on Flynn's reaction when he was on the turf, they should not have been letting him walk anywhere.

We will alomst certainly be dipping the toe into the free agents market.

I'd argue that we need two in but one is a must.

I still give Goodwin my backing but he said at the start of the window that he didn't want a situation where the squad was short due to injuries and imbalances and we are now absolutely imbalanced less than a week after the window is shut.

I thought at the time, the decision to let Erhahon leave to go play in another team's reserves was madness and this has proven correct already.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Probably fair criticism. The ACL is an odd one: it's actually possible to do it and not feel like you've had a bad injury. However, I'd suggest that based on Flynn's reaction when he was on the turf, they should not have been letting him walk anywhere.

Walking off would have made no difference to an ACL injury.

If it was detached then it would have stayed detached. If it was stretched, then walking a couple of hundred feet would have made no difference.

I suffered from the latter and only discovered I had an ACL injury three months after the initial injury, after falling into a ditch when my knee collapsed when out running.

We will alomst certainly be dipping the toe into the free agents market.
I'd argue that we need two in but one is a must.
I still give Goodwin my backing but he said at the start of the window that he didn't want a situation where the squad was short due to injuries and imbalances and we are now absolutely imbalanced less than a week after the window is shut.
I thought at the time, the decision to let Erhahon leave to go play in another team's reserves was madness and this has proven correct already.

To be fair I think he has been unlucky. Broadfoot obviously came out of nowhere days before the window ended, and we have been extremely unlucky with magennis and Flynn. Assuming those two didn’t get long term injuries with Mcginn hopefully being avail. Again soon Erhahon wouldn’t be near the team.

Why is nothing ever easy for us ☹️

On 07/02/2020 at 21:30, FTOF said:

Walking off would have made no difference to an ACL injury.

If it was detached then it would have stayed detached. If it was stretched, then walking a couple of hundred feet would have made no difference.

I suffered from the latter and only discovered I had an ACL injury three months after the initial injury, after falling into a ditch when my knee collapsed when out running.

Fair play, cheers for clarifying.

We are completely fucked at the back now. Cammy has become a first-choice midfielder, and he's really not a great fullback. I hope we don't shift him back there... And based on other injuries, it'll only create a problem in midfield anyway.

We've had a few seasons where we've been relatively fortune with injuries. I know Magennis and Mullen were out last season, but the promotion year we ran with a fairly thin squad and it all went well. This season is just horrendous and I'm honestly not sure how we're going to put full teams out.

We've admittedly had some uncommonly good fortune with out-of-contract players in the recent past: Ferdinand, Hammill and Simeon Jackson all played a role last season.

Odds of repeating that trick with an RB now? 😬

I spoke to Goodwin in hospitality after game yesterday as I was half pished and full of bravado, so asked him directly if we're now going to go for anyone new. 

He said that the Hodson injury has just added to what already has been a shite time and we now need to look at free agents. Said he is concerned with freebies due to lack of game time and anyone coming in will need to be ready to go but we've been backed into a corner. 

Also said Chabbi is not injured but is just not fit yet and he's about a week out from where he needs to be. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Whilst I'm not a fan of throwing in youngsters before they are ready, surely this is a "needs must" moment and we should be looking for some if the young guys to start filling in some of the gaps? I know Glover had a bit if a mare on his debut, but to be fair to him that was against a tough team in horrendous conditions.

I don't really know much about the current academy team, but are they really that much worse than whatever leftover jobbers are still kicking about without a club right now?