The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

From looks of McCarthy and Famewo, we've added pretty decently in this window but you look further back at Hearts, who have significantly improved their squad and then around us at likes of St. Johnstone, Hamilton and maybe even Killie, who haven't and it becomes apparent how important these two proposed new faces being the correct folk for the job now becomes.

We can't 0-0 our way through to the end of the season. The defence is fine....most of us know that. But we need to have the correct folk up top.

The defence is fine, but if we lose Paul McGinn, we are back to only having five recognised defenders at the club, and Flynn deputising at right back, when he's really a midfielder and may be needed further forward. If Foley gets injured for example, Flynn would be the obvious replacement. If McGinn goes this window, we need a right back in to replace him.

The defence is fine, but if we lose Paul McGinn, we are back to only having five recognised defenders at the club, and Flynn deputising at right back, when he's really a midfielder and may be needed further forward. If Foley gets injured for example, Flynn would be the obvious replacement. If McGinn goes this window, we need a right back in to replace him.
Broadfoot has been very decent at right back, so we still have options.

If Paul McGinn is going to Hibs this window then I’m presuming there’s a fee involved. He’s been one of our best players and one of the most consistent performers for us. I’ll be gutted if he goes and we don’t replace him. But we most definitely need a decent striker this window, as what we currently have are nowhere near up to the job.

If McGinn goes, I dare say it's because he was already interesting Hibs anyway and would have left in the Summer regardless. He has a good working relationship with Jack Ross from their time at Dumbarton and JR signing him on for us again before bailing out to Sunderland.

Given Goodwin has said we're already looking at two players before this news came, I'd hope the money brought in for him leaving would be able to maybe squeeze one more signing out.

If he goes now, we'll get money I'd imagine. Any money should certainly be reinvested in the playing squad.

Edited by djchapsticks

If Paul McGinn is going to Hibs this window then I’m presuming there’s a fee involved. He’s been one of our best players and one of the most consistent performers for us. I’ll be gutted if he goes and we don’t replace him. But we most definitely need a decent striker this window, as what we currently have are nowhere near up to the job.

We'll need to replace him. Flynn has done well at right back but if he gets injured we then slot MacPherson in leaving us short in the middle.

McGinn is a solid 7/10 every week. Great pro. Helped us through the sticky patch with the injury crisis.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on at Hibs. Don't think hes as good going forward but he might have good chemistry with Boyle in front of him.

I hope we say to Hibs he can't play on Saturday.

What has turned into a decent wee week with us maybe bringing in a couple of new bodies, has all of a sudden become a lot more hectic since Wednesday night.

In that time we've lost Magennis for the season, likely to lose Paul McGinn and possibly even Mullen and everything has pulled in a bit closer beneath us.

What started as 'definitely one new face, maybe two' has seemingly just become 'definitely three'.

Edited by djchapsticks

Personally don't think McGinn is good enough for a team like Hibs. Guessing it's because Ross knows what he'll get and desperately needs a rightback at short notice.

Hopefully we bring another one in and can get Flynn back into midfield.

Can't blame McGinn for getting a wage bump for himself at a relatively late stage in his career. Considering he's always been a bit of a journeyman full back, to get a gig at Hibs is decent for him. The only issue is they'll probably give him an 18 month deal, and surely they'll be strengthening that position in the summer, so he could end up out of favour then.

Yeah, it's a fantastic move for McGinn to be fair, and I'm guessing for him it would have to happen now as Hibs will not be interested again in the summer. It feels like if he's not a guaranteed first team starter for us anymore then it would be pretty dickish to stand in his way.

Still, considering McGinn has played most of our games this season, and has played every position in the back four, we are losing a strong squad member, in a position you didn't really think we had to worry about. At this stage of the window that reliability and versatility is going to be very tough to replace.

I'd have him back in a minute to be honest. Maybe wont solve your goalscoring problem because he was inclined to miss a lot of sitters with us but he was excellent at holding the ball up, bringing others into play and worked hard for the team. Certainly not the work shy trouble maker we were warned about when he played for us.

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'd have him back in a minute to be honest. Maybe wont solve your goalscoring problem because he was inclined to miss a lot of sitters with us but he was excellent at holding the ball up, bringing others into play and worked hard for the team. Certainly not the work shy trouble maker we were warned about when he played for us.

Did he not start on fire for you last season then kinda tail off? What was that put down to?

I'd be quite happy to get him in. We clearly need something different up top and at least he knows the game here so would take less time to settle in than a lot of other possible options. Edit: that said, he has only played six games this season so will be rusty.

Edited by Coventry Saint

29 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We have the 'miss a lot of sitters' category but the other qualities are an improvement on the current incumbents.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Did he not start on fire for you last season then kinda tail off? What was that put down to?

I'd be quite happy to get him in. We clearly need something different up top and at least he knows the game here so would take less time to settle in than a lot of other possible options.

He was excellent until the winter break, scored in the cup game against Hamilton in his first game back and then talks over a new contract broke down in February. Was rarely seen after that. He's got a bad reputation but I saw no signs of why from the outside looking in. I suppose Tommy Wright may tell you differently but I really liked watching him play for us.

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

He was excellent until the winter break, scored in the cup game against Hamilton in his first game back and then talks over a new contract broke down in February. Was rarely seen after that. He's got a bad reputation but I saw no signs of why from the outside looking in. I suppose Tommy Wright may tell you differently but I really liked watching him play for us.

Fair play, cheers. I remember there being a bit of pointing and laughing on here when you signed him, which quickly stopped when he started banging them in 😂