The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I dont buy the fitness level. Second half proved it was our attitude to the game in the first half. That the players did not understand  Goodwin's diamond shape. No doubt we will get stronger as new players come in. My biggest concern is Stevie McGinn last season I thought he was carrying an injury and Oran hinted on that in a interview. Yesterday he looked well of the pace Goodwin had no hesitation taking him off. Fingers crossed he comes good. I'm sure we can all agree Goodwin has his work cut out. 

I'll agree to disagree on the fitness thing - but it's a proven fact that sharpness will take a while to come, and that heavy training will blunt that sharpness in the very short term. We'll see a different team in two games' time, and not just because we're hopefully signing players.

Re McGinn... yeah, it is concerning, though as with the rest of the team, he did wake up slightly in the second half - but that might have been because Dunfermline were backing off and giving him more space. They hounded our midfield in the first half.

If we brought in a new DM (though it's not an immediate priority), I think McGinn's place in the side could be in trouble.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Yeah, we are so far short.
If you think, Erhahon was our third-choice LB by the time the season ended and right now we literally have nobody else who could play there. He was also our only attacking outlet down the left for much of the match, too, which is hardly going to help him concentrate on his defence.
I did notice Djorkaeff ran on to the right hand side of the pitch, but then repeatedly popped up on the left, so I suspect that might be his preferred position (Not blaming him - all our shape had gone by the time we were chasing a goal at the end.)
If it was up to me, these would be the absolute bare minimum incoming:
2x CH
1x LB
1x versatile L/RB
1x pacey winger
1x striker
And even then we're probably a bit short/praying we're lucky with injuries.

Thought Djorkaeff looked decent when he came on. Nice touch and looked quite strong on the ball.

2 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Thought Djorkaeff looked decent when he came on. Nice touch and looked quite strong on the ball.

Yeah, agreed: plus, he was playing with his head up, moving with the ball, looking for options, etc. He was also getting himself into spaces in the first place. Cautiously optimistic about him (based on 10 minutes 😂 )

After much humming and hawing, I'm glad I never went along yesterday.

I can't shake off that these games have the feel of preseason friendlies, despite the competitive tag. I went along to a couple last year, and couldn't muster any genuine interest. That's unfortunate given it is a national cup competition. This new format isn't for me.

The squad is nowhere near where it needs to be, and Goodwin will require more time to shape the team and establish who offers most, where, and when. If anything, yesterday's game will have assisted in that respect, so the piss poor performance has perhaps served a useful purpose.

Edited by Drooper

46 minutes ago, Drooper said:

After much humming and hawing, I'm glad I never went along yesterday.

I can't shake off that these games have the feel of preseason friendlies, despite the competitive tag. I went along to a couple last year, and couldn't muster any genuine interest. That's unfortunate given it is a national cup competition. This new format isn't for me.

The squad is nowhere near where it needs to be, and Goodwin will require more time to shape the team and establish who offers most, where, and when. If anything, yesterday's game will have assisted in that respect, so the piss poor performance has perhaps served a useful purpose.

I never hummed and hawed about going. I was never going. This League Cup / pre season friendly bollocks is, well, bollocks. A national cup competition, part of our treble, that has given diddies like us a shot at glory, now takes the place of ‘glamour’ friendlies v Sunderland. They even allowed this shite to be live on BT Sport. With the men’s singles final at Wimbledon, the cricket world cup final, the British Grand Prix, and our lethargic pre-season warm up with half a squad, all live on TV.... fcuked if I was going anywhere near the game yesterday. Fair play to those who did though. Each to their own. I’m entirely happy in my ‘part time supporter skin’. 

As an aside, those big black ‘H’ kits are just fcuking awful, even when worn by the first team, rather than a fat spotty herbert eating a steak & gravy pie in the stands. Leiderhosen indeed.  IMHO, naturally.

Edited by pozbaird

I hope mcginn is carrying an injury as his performances in centre mid have been nothing short of shambolic for a good while now. Does the old stevie thompson falling over and claiming for non existent fouls every two minutes. Lost count of how many goals were conceded from his half hearted challenges or bad passes. In fact it's almost reminiscent of when stevie thompson near enough got us single handedly relegated as we persisted with him when he was clearly done, purely because he was a st mirren man.  Erhahon looks a decent prospect, hopefully his development won't be impeded by being constantly played out of position and getting jeered by fat wallopers in the stand every 2 seconds as soon as a bad touch is taken.

27 minutes ago, christinanade said:

Erhahon looks a decent prospect, hopefully his development won't be impeded by being constantly played out of position and getting jeered by fat wallopers in the stand every 2 seconds as soon as a bad touch is taken.

He definitely looks good on the front foot. We are absolutely ruining him playing him out of position. We either need to give him a shot in his preferred position, or send him out on loan to develop because we'll end up with no player at all if he keeps getting hung out to dry at fullback.

The point I (badly) tried to make about Erhahon was that for all his rawness and youth, and being played out of position, he usually looks switched on, plays with energy. I am not claiming he is Paolo Maldini or anything, but against Dunfermline, he looked for the world like a trialist thrown into the deep end, and after 90 minutes, is never seen again in a Saints lineup. He’s better than that, better than Sunday’s showing. Still a kid, hope we don’t keep throwing him under a bus, against better teams than the Pars.

I watched the game on BT Sport despite already knowing the result. It was chronic. The goals conceded were dreadful. Erhahon is rightly being criticised but Jack Baird and Gary McKenzie were also dreadful. 

What was really cringeworthy about the TV coverage though was the pre match interview with Tony Fitzpatrick where yet again he insisted St Mirren should be a top 4 club. Surely even he struggles to believe his nonsense. 

19 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

I watched the game on BT Sport despite already knowing the result. It was chronic. The goals conceded were dreadful. Erhahon is rightly being criticised but Jack Baird and Gary McKenzie were also dreadful. 

What was really cringeworthy about the TV coverage though was the pre match interview with Tony Fitzpatrick where yet again he insisted St Mirren should be a top 4 club. Surely even he struggles to believe his nonsense. 

Tony, to his credit, did qualify his comments by saying something like.... ‘look, to be honest, it’s because I played in St Mirren teams where we were up at the top, in Europe all the time, and am’ no’ just sayin’ that to be honest....’

No-one genuinely believes we ‘should be’ a Top 4/6 club. Not these days. Tony doesn’t believe it, not in his heart of hearts....Not with Bosman, not with players and agents holding the aces, with short term contracts and loanees padding out Saints squads. Not with five clubs always guaranteed to be far stronger than St Mirren -Sellik, Sevco, Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen, and not with us frankly being a bit shit compared to the days of Fitzpatrick, Abercromby, Stark, Richardson.... and Sir Alex of Grumpy Nuts.

Tony is a dreamer. Gawd’ bless his cotton socks.... now Tony, take a tablet and go do some of that CEO shit.... gie’s a signing (six preferably).

I don’t know what St Mirren ‘should be’, but what I think we could be, is to be more like St Johnstone - not automatic relegation battlers, pretty safe bet to retain top flight status, be hard to beat.... yadda, yadda.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Tony, to his credit, did qualify his comments by saying something like.... ‘look, to be honest, it’s because I played in St Mirren teams where we were up at the top, in Europe all the time, and am’ no’ just sayin’ that to be honest....’

No-one genuinely believes we ‘should be’ a Top 4/6 club. Not these days. Tony doesn’t believe it, not in his heart of hearts....Not with Bosman, not with players and agents holding the aces, with short term contracts and loanees padding out Saints squads. Not with five clubs always guaranteed to be far stronger than St Mirren -Sellik, Sevco, Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen, and not with us frankly being a bit shit compared to the days of Fitzpatrick, Abercromby, Stark, Richardson.... and Sir Alex of Grumpy Nuts.

Tony is a dreamer. Gawd’ bless his cotton socks.... now Tony, take a tablet and go do some of that CEO shit.... gie’s a signing (six preferably).

I don’t know what St Mirren ‘should be’, but what I think we could be, is to be more like St Johnstone - not automatic relegation battlers, pretty safe bet to retain top flight status, be hard to beat.... yadda, yadda.

You probably heard the Goodwin interview two signings close take that to be the Dutch striker and the defender who has been doing preseason with St Johnstone.  He said two are not so and work has still to be done there. It's time the format of the league Cup was changed or at least held back till the league starts. Attendance is way down across the board it being one of the national cups.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Aye I guess that's true. Paisley is certainly a big enough town to provide the revenue to fund greater success. If only the club had a CEO and a board of directors that knew how to harness the local population to the benefit of the club. 

Does anyone know what the story is with Sam Jamieson? I was surprised he wasn't on the bench yesterday with our lack of striking options. I liked the look of him on his sub appearances last season but I see he didn't get any goals on loan at Brechin.

57 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Does anyone know what the story is with Sam Jamieson? I was surprised he wasn't on the bench yesterday with our lack of striking options. I liked the look of him on his sub appearances last season but I see he didn't get any goals on loan at Brechin.

Sure he signed for Brechin. Could be wrong

Who was the forward that came on against Hibs or Killie last season and put himself about a bit? Made a change having a youngster that didn't look as if he'd be blown away by a plane landing at the airport. 

It was one of Jamieson and Breadner but can't remember which.

Edited by Stu

Who was the forward that came on against Hibs or Killie last season and put himself about a bit? Made a change having a youngster that didn't look as if he'd be blown away by a plane landing at the airport. 
It was one of Jamieson and Breadner but can't remember which.
Jamieson. Looked strong for a youngster, aye.

While McGinn wasn't at his best and his passing was poor, like many others in the team, I thought he often had very few options. It looked to me like most of those in front of hime were marking the opposition and not the other way round. We need far more movement. Most passing was to someone with a defender right on top of them. And while some thought Cooke and Mullen got poor service I thought they did vefy little running off the ball to make things happen.

There is absolutely no chance we are only bringing 4 or 5 new faces in. 

Perhaps 4 or 5 permanent signings and 2 or 3 loan deals. 

Say we brought in Verheydt and this hypothetical left back this week and we only had 2 more to bring in, where would they be for? Clearly a winger and a centre half would have to be top priority but if that was the case, we'd have a squad with only one winger, 3 centre halves (and one of those is very patchy with injuries), no actual cover in either full back position and only 3 centre forwards. 

There is no way we're going to bring in any less than 7 more players by end of August. Surely to feck. 

Edited by djchapsticks