The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

31 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Forgetting all this war of words nonsense I think St Mirren have really dodged a bullet getting Kearney away.  I know he kept you up but I felt he was like a rabbit in the headlights last year, I don't think he appreciated how big a club St Mirren were or probably how big Scottish football was in general in terms of the interest.

If it was my own club I would take Goodwin over Kearney every day of the week.  Hopefully St Mirren can stay up for a few seasons as its easy points for my lot.

27 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Can't disagree with this. Never really understood St Mirren's fans being steadfast in their belief that he was transforming the club. Thought he done a horrific job and was woefully out of his depth. He was massively fortunate that Dundee had the worst manager we've statistically ever had in our 126 year history.

I don't know if Goodwin will keep St Mirren up this year but I do reckon he'll give a better fist of it than Kearney would have done this season IMO.

Agree with pretty much all of those posts.  Including our awful record against Killie sadly (hopefully that’s about to change).   

I’m absolutely delighted the PE teacher has got his jotters to be replaced by living legend Jim Goodwin. Great stuff from GLS.

Whatever the means of it were, the end more than justifies them.

Guest Moomintroll

There are several easy greenies available for any kind poster who can remove Mains belmy coupon from the main page. 10 Greenie minimum x

12 minutes ago, Lex said:

Agree with pretty much all of those posts.  Including our awful record against Killie sadly (hopefully that’s about to change).   

I’m absolutely delighted the PE teacher has got his jotters to be replaced by living legend Jim Goodwin. Great stuff from GLS.

Whatever the means of it were, the end more than justifies them.

I'm more than pleased to have Goodwin. Fact is there is a legal binding agreement here. Why on earth did Scott go to the press. Then you have Oran accusing Scott of lies and mentioning the legal agreement.  Who knows maybe Scott has too much going on. I hope Scott's lawyers are bolting him down. Sadly the press will have a field day Mr Scott should say nothing and talk up Goodwin. 

Edited by Demented Zebra

Guest Moomintroll
Mains? Main page?
And "belmy", is that "modern shite patter"?
No, that is long established, I just cannot abide Alan Main any longer, surely someone can help rid me of the monstrosity?

9 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:
Mains? Main page?
And "belmy", is that "modern shite patter"?

No, that is long established, I just cannot abide Alan Main any longer, surely someone can help rid me of the monstrosity?

I feel genuinely bad I've stuck you with his face so I'll spam this post with photos of Jim Goodwin or something to resolve it.

Spoiler

Alan-Main-e1413454758305.jpg.fb674f247943aa019b664334c2f61b86.jpg

that should do the trick.

Spoiler

1556465035_tenor(7).gif.6ee81198f5d24cbf3ea9a8bf01cac9d5.gif

Guest Moomintroll
I feel genuinely bad I've stuck you with his face so I'll spam this post with photos of Jim Goodwin or something to resolve it.
Spoiler

that should do the trick.
Spoiler

1556465035_tenor(7).gif.6ee81198f5d24cbf3ea9a8bf01cac9d5.gif

f**k off you.

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Can't disagree with this. Never really understood St Mirren's fans being steadfast in their belief that he was transforming the club. Thought he done a horrific job and was woefully out of his depth. He was massively fortunate that Dundee had the worst manager we've statistically ever had in our 126 year history.

I don't know if Goodwin will keep St Mirren up this year but I do reckon he'll give a better fist of it than Kearney would have done this season IMO.

Not the first time on here I’ve read comments along the lines of ‘St Mirren were just lucky that Dundee were totally fcuking shite / had the worst Dundee manager ever / were lucky that an earthquake hit Dundee’s training ground / were lucky that Dundee’s best players contracted the plague.... all fcuking shite, and all fcuking wrong.

Again, have a look at our last ten to twelve results (or thereabouts). Many excellent St Mirren results, at places like Tynecastle and Pittodrie. Many good, tough wins, dug out at venues we traditionally struggle at. Fcuk all to do with Dundee being pish, everything to do with Kearney’s St Mirren taking care of our own business.

To your point, Kearney never transformed the club, but did a horrific job and was woefully out of his depth. Again, simply shite, and simply wrong. From where we were - in a brief period at our club, it was transformed under Kearney. It case you had forgotten, a part-time PE teacher, came into a disaster club, and the first thing he did was to get a valuable point off Celtic. A team who regularly roger us up the Neil Doncaster by several goals, and where getting a result off them is as likely as next year’s Dundee derbies being played in the top flight of Scottish football.

Next thing he achieved was to absolutely reconnect the fans to the club, to the players, and to build a whole positive vibe around what was a Norwegian Blue of a football club. Again, all achieved in a short time, by a part time PE teacher with little understanding of St Mirren FC. A man who was initially overlooked for our gig, came over at the second time of asking, with no outward sign of his nose being out of joint - and frankly, transformed the club from where it was.

Now, was Oran Kearney Pep Guardiola or Bill Shankley? Clearly not, but let’s nip this ‘he was shite and so were Dundee’ pish right in the bud once and for all. We achieved what had looked impossible under our own steam. We were never, ever, simply praying that Dundee kept losing - hell, we nearly reeled Accies in too.

So, away and shite. Now, we can move on to this unseemly Scott v Kearney bout. What a clusterfcuk. St Mirren’s PR... it’s not just bad, it’s non-existent. With Tony opening his gob and warbling ‘top four club’ pish, to Gordon opening his gob.... Jim Goodwin’s first act as manager should be to gag both of them and lock them in a cupboard for a week. Just shut the fcuk up, both of you, and get on with signing some fcuking players that might give Jim a fighting chance.

Rant over.

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

If we were lucky there was one team even worse than us, how jammy were Hamilton that there were two worse than them?

Oh, and Celtic only won the league because there were 11 clubs more shite than they were.

When Kearney came in, all I asked for was that we didn't go down with a whimper. Show some resolve and commitment, and regain a modicum of pride in our club. I wasn't optimistic, but had to hope that something would click.

Click it did - eventually.  Poz has already set it out perfectly, so no need for me to expand on that. Suffice to say, I feel no ill will to Oran Kearney whatsoever.

Gordon Scott's bout of slabbering information compulsion in the press was grossly unwise, and he needs to take a long hard look at himself. There was absolutely no need for it, regardless of the circumstances surrounding Kearney's departure. It achieves the square root of hee haw aside from miring the club once again in negative publicity.  Distraction that we - and Jim Goodwin especially - could well do without.

14 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Oh, and Celtic only won the league because there were 11 clubs more shite than they were.

When Kearney came in, all I asked for was that we didn't go down with a whimper. Show some resolve and commitment, and regain a modicum of pride in our club. I wasn't optimistic, but had to hope that something would click.

Click it did - eventually.  Poz has already set it out perfectly, so no need for me to expand on that. Suffice to say, I feel no ill will to Oran Kearney whatsoever.

Gordon Scott's bout of slabbering information compulsion in the press was grossly unwise, and he needs to take a long hard look at himself. There was absolutely no need for it, regardless of the circumstances surrounding Kearney's departure. It achieves the square root of hee haw aside from miring the club once again in negative publicity.  Distraction that we - and Jim Goodwin especially - could well do without.

Makes the club look like a basket case. Personally does not bother me what other fans think . Its Saints fans who do care and have the club at heart. This week should be about Jim Goodwin and  getting players who he wants not going over history especially with a legal contract. 

35 minutes ago, Drooper said:

I thought about being as silly as suggesting Celtic but decided that was pushing it. However, as Hamilton only got a point more than us then if we were lucky, they must have been even luckier.

I was quite surprised when I saw Gordon Scott go into as much detail about it on Tuesday and he surely isn't naive enough to think he wouldn't have been asked about it. I assumed any response would have been along the line of Kearney's - what's done is done, it's in the past, we're moving on etc. He could have used the excuse of saying he couldn't go into it for legal reasons and it would have been believed even if he was talking nonsense. Instead he's given chapter and verse of his version of events.

Somewhat ironic that when we were screaming for communication from the club about what was happening in the days before the official parting of the ways we got nothing, yet now when Scott should seemingly have kept his mouth shut for legal reasons he has gone in full pelt.

How many of our fans wanted an explanation from Gordon Scott about the clubs version of events during the OK departure. 

They get his side of the story and still he gets criticised from all angles. Why the f**k did Coleraine feel the need to issue a statement if they had done everything above board. 

Coleraine are fucking at it here and so is Kearney. 

55 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

How many of our fans wanted an explanation from Gordon Scott about the clubs version of events during the OK departure. 

They get his side of the story and still he gets criticised from all angles. Why the f**k did Coleraine feel the need to issue a statement if they had done everything above board. 

100&. I'm honestly no conspiracy theorist, but I'm even wondering if Coleraine's random approach to that other manager was just smoke and mirrors. "Why would we have sought permission to speak to him if we were going to employ Kearney..." is a reasonable and believable little line to throw out there.

It's fine. We move on, and I'm happier with that sexy b*****d Goodwin in charge.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

You might believe that to be the case, as might I, but that isn't the issue here. The issue is why Scott felt the need to blab about it to the press. Most, if not all of us, have moved on, content that we now have the right man for the job in position.

When I and others were looking for clarity from the club, we were in a state of limbo with press reports that Kearney was headed out the door and no indication as whether that was accurate, shit-stirring, or random conjecture. That was the time for some form of limited communication on the matter (any legal caveats permitting). Then we had the shambles of the Coleraine friendly being cancelled and the manner in which that was dealt with.

To be honest, I currently have no interest whatsoever in hearing any further communication from the club concerning Kearney's departure. It is done and dusted, and time to move on. Scott has achieved f**k all other than reopening what was a securely closed can of worms.

Edited by Drooper

14 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Forgetting all this war of words nonsense I think St Mirren have really dodged a bullet getting Kearney away.  I know he kept you up but I felt he was like a rabbit in the headlights last year, I don't think he appreciated how big a club St Mirren were or probably how big Scottish football was in general in terms of the interest.

If it was my own club I would take Goodwin over Kearney every day of the week.  Hopefully St Mirren can stay up for a few seasons as its easy points for my lot.

To be fair, he was definately better than Stubbs and there is no doubt that the squad he inherited were not up to the job and he did well to turn things around.. Better than Stubbs is not exactly the most fulsome praise, but I think eventually things were heading in the right direction and OK did seem to connect with the fans and motivate the players. He also seemed to do well/lucked out in the January transfer window. I don't think he's a bad manager, but not an outstanding one. Is Goody better? Time will tell. I'm hopeful he will be.

Dutch striker Thomas Verheydt heading over for talks. 13 goals for Go Ahead Eagles in their second division last season, still contracted to them. Seems to have been prolific enough back home but had a pretty poor season at Crawley going by the stats.

Not having all this criticism of GS. He’s our chairman and everything he does is for the good of our club. Kearney can f**k right off. He’s totally worked his ticket here to get back to his cushy non-stressful life. He couldn’t hack it and worked his way back to being part time boss of some shitty wee club. He should’ve had the balls to be honest about it.