The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Yet there were only 2 outfield Kearney signings in the plays offs and one of them was McAllister.

Some of Kearney’s signings were clearly woeful too.

Three of them were injured and there were more than two outfield players that played in the playoffs.

Other than that you're spot on.

Edited by FTOF

On 18/05/2019 at 14:41, ali_91 said:

Being called up for being a homophobic c**t isn’t a bite. Have a word with yourself.

Can you quote what was actually said, as I can’t seem to find where anyone makes a homophobic comment. 

Did Kearney confirm he's staying with you guys or not?

He did after the match... but it wasn’t entirely convincing. He said he was having issues commuting away from his family, but that he had known that when he signed up.

18 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Yet there were only 2 outfield Kearney signings in the plays offs and one of them was McAllister.

Some of Kearney’s signings were clearly woeful too.

There were a couple out injured. Only 2 that started were Stubbs' signing and none of the subs were signed by Stubbs, so only 2 out of 18 were signed by Stubbs.

Of the outfield players starting yesterday Stubbs wanted rid of 5 and was replacing them with no-marks. Thankfully, unlike Stubbs, Kearney knew a half-decent player when he saw one and replaced some of Stubbs' rubbish with players already at the Club unwanted by Stubbs but it still meant we had the shittiest squad in the League. Kearney's hands were tied until January when he could augment those players with some decent signings. Not every signing at any Club is a success but Stubbs must have the lowest ratio of signing a good player as a St Mirren manager and that is some going. And we should not forget in particular Anton Ferdinand and Adam Hammill who were signed as free agents by Kearney who significantly helped keep us within touching distance while waiting for January.

It's also the job of the manager to work with and improve the players he has, something that is overlooked in the UK where the fix is just to get rid of the players and bring in a load of new ones. Admittedly, we're not in a good position to lecture folk on that one given the last few transfer windows!

Danny Mullen is the perfect example of the difference a good manager can make. He looks a totally different player to the one we had before his injury.

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

Hladky is gathering interest we may struggle to keep him. 

That's why we need to offer him a contract extension asap, then if he is tempted away in subsequent transfer windows we hopefully get a decent amount for the deal

5 hours ago, AW saint said:

Hladky is gathering interest we may struggle to keep him. 

Not surprising. 

On top of his overall performances, you don't save 3 penalties in a playoff final and don't draw attention. 

He's one of the very best keepers in a division with plenty of talent in that department. I hope we can add another year to his deal as it'd be a shame for him to stay another year before inevitably moving to and being wasted by Celtic as he plays understudy to the inferior Scott Bain. 

11 hours ago, Stu said:

It's also the job of the manager to work with and improve the players he has, something that is overlooked in the UK where the fix is just to get rid of the players and bring in a load of new ones. Admittedly, we're not in a good position to lecture folk on that one given the last few transfer windows!

Danny Mullen is the perfect example of the difference a good manager can make. He looks a totally different player to the one we had before his injury.

This is absolutely spot on. Annoys me when you hear pundits saying the board must back a manager as if the only way to improve fortunes is to dump a squad and bring a whole load of new faces. 

Steve Clarke took over a squad at the bottom of the league and transformed them. He added a few players here and there but there wasn't a mass cull. He focused, from what I could see, on finding a system that suited the players then working with them to not just make it work but improve and make it really successful. 

I think Oran Kearney has done a really good job at St Mirren. I like him. 

22 minutes ago, Radford said:

This is absolutely spot on. Annoys me when you hear pundits saying the board must back a manager as if the only way to improve fortunes is to dump a squad and bring a whole load of new faces. 

Steve Clarke took over a squad at the bottom of the league and transformed them. He added a few players here and there but there wasn't a mass cull. He focused, from what I could see, on finding a system that suited the players then working with them to not just make it work but improve and make it really successful. 

I think Oran Kearney has done a really good job at St Mirren. I like him. 

I think Oran took a lot of stick at the start as he couldn't buy a win but most of us accepted that it was an extended feeling out process for the squad. He couldn't do too much (of course he got to add Jackson, Hammill and Ferdinand on short term deals) but also every player available got the chance to impress with game time. 

By time January rolled around and the excess was trimmed off, no-one could honestly say they didn't get a chance to show what they could do. 

I’d take Mackenzie popescu and Kyle McAllister that are out of contract.

Try and get rid of heaton kellerman from contracted players. Tansey prob deserves another chance but looks like a shell of the player he was a few years ago

A lot of work to be done in the summer!

9 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I’d take Mackenzie popescu and Kyle McAllister that are out of contract.

Try and get rid of heaton kellerman from contracted players. Tansey prob deserves another chance but looks like a shell of the player he was a few years ago

A lot of work to be done in the summer!

Tansey will be lucky to kick a ball again by sounds of things.

It's a chronic bone disease he has that causes inflammation and infections on a whim - can only really be controlled.

Shame as he was starting to come good in his last game or two after an awful start.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Speaking of the squad, Div has tweeted this.

What do we reckon, who stays and who goes?

The one that sticks out to me is Gary MacKenzie. Get him on a pay as you play deal. He was colossal in the run in.

I adore that big man. What an inspirational figure he was/is. Just what was needed in those big games - credit to him for holding himself together for two games in four days.

I also very much hope we get Hodson back. Nearly the forgotten man, he stated weeks ago he was hoping to get back fit for the run-in at a point when I'd assumed his loan had been cancelled. He played a key role (out of position in a very challenging/unfamiliar wing-back position), kept the only vaguely dangerous United player quiet and covered crazy amounts of turf.

On ability, but especially attitude, I'd take him back, no bother at all, if we can afford him.

Goes without saying I'd have Popescu back if we can reach an agreement. I can't imagine Dreyer coming back, and I think McAllister will be desperate to try and force his way into the Derby reckoning now that he has some match fitness, but I'd happily take both of them, too. 

Edited by Coventry Saint

Meant to add Hodson to my list as well, thought he was excellent over the 2 legs.

Big decision for McAllister over the summer, he’s no where near fit enough to even get close to that Derby side - he should be aiming to go out and get regular first team football, whether that be us or someone else

33 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Meant to add Hodson to my list as well, thought he was excellent over the 2 legs.

OK obviously rates Hodson - he played him every game for which he was available until he was injured and phased him back in when he recovered. If he's available within our price range I'd snap him up! 

Just now, btb said:

OK obviously rates Hodson - he played him every game for which he was available until he was injured and phased him back in when he recovered. If he's available within our price range I'd snap him up! 

He's out of contract at Sevco now, so hopefully he can be persuaded to take a pay cut and join the good guys permanently.

Times like this that managerial continuity, combined with having a manager that players actually want to play for, really comes in handy.