The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Those three added to Coulson and Willock - that's 5 of your summer signings that have been a complete write off. 
I know Stubbs signed them, but our board and chief exec in particular are getting off lightly. They sanctioned the deals after all. 
Don't forget Brock-Madsen.

26 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Those three added to Coulson and Willock - that's 5 of your summer signings that have been a complete write off. 

I know Stubbs signed them, but our board and chief exec in particular are getting off lightly. They sanctioned the deals after all. 

What are they supposed to do? It's the managers job to sign players. Imagine if the board told Kearney he wasn't allowed to sign certain players in January.

They did but they could hardly appoint him then refuse to back him. The board of course have to shoulder some of the responsibility for Stubbs but given his track record in the game, including coaching/management, there was no legislating for Stubbs’s gross incompetence as manager.

An uninspiring, arrogant fraud.

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

No win situation for the board in this instance. Had they not sanctioned these after making funds available, there would have been massive questions raised regarding their interference. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No win situation for the board in this instance. Had they not sanctioned these after making funds available, there would have been massive questions raised regarding their interference. 

Also worth saying, why would they hire someone and then not trust them to make signings?

3 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

Lee Mair implying on twitter that there is something dodgy with the deal for Heaton. Anybody have any info?

Absolutely nothing verified but the suggestion is that certain former staff members were on the books of the V9 academy where Heaton (and Cooke) came from and were due a commission for any players signed from the academy to full time teams.

14 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Also worth saying, why would they hire someone and then not trust them to make signings?

Agreed. The club certainly backed him do do things his way in the summer, despite the almost immediate misgivings about his approach. They definitely decided not to interfere.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolutely nothing verified but the suggestion is that certain former staff members were on the books of the V9 academy where Heaton (and Cooke) came from and were due a commission for any players signed from the academy to full time teams.

That story was doing the rounds in the summer after the pair were signed, it's hard to believe Stubbs would mess up his main gig for a bonus from V9, still as a wise man said "it's a funny old game".

2 hours ago, btb said:

That story was doing the rounds in the summer after the pair were signed, it's hard to believe Stubbs would mess up his main gig for a bonus from V9, still as a wise man said "it's a funny old game".

Agreed bud. Not my own personal opinion, just what has been suggested.

Though I also see after Mair's vague tweet, a follow up from another Twitter user mentioning some type of cloak and dagger operation revolving around Middlesbrough (who were interested in Heaton before we signed him) signing Stubbs' son in exchange for letting us have Heaton but it's clearly bollocks. If Boro wanted any player, they could have had both on a fraction of our budget without having to eke out some sort of a deal.

Josh Heaton has a break clause in his contract that means St. Mirren won’t need to pay his full compensation, although both parties will still need to come to an agreement on how much that compensation is. Heaton came highly rated, with an EPL team and an English Championship team wanting to put him into their development squad. For that reason I think it would make more sense for St. Mirren to send him out on loan for at least the rest of this season, maybe even the next season as well. Seems to be a strange situation with a player who St. Mirren have paid a transfer fee for, to then allow him to leave after never making a league appearance. 

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Josh Heaton has a break clause in his contract that means St. Mirren won’t need to pay his full compensation, although both parties will still need to come to an agreement on how much that compensation is. Heaton came highly rated, with an EPL team and an English Championship team wanting to put him into their development squad. For that reason I think it would make more sense for St. Mirren to send him out on loan for at least the rest of this season, maybe even the next season as well. Seems to be a strange situation with a player who St. Mirren have paid a transfer fee for, to then allow him to leave after never making a league appearance. 

I can't help but think if an EPL or Championship club had actually wanted him then that's where he would be to be honest.

31 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Well thank Christ that is over............let the big clear out, rumoured signings and hope begin.

You said it. I'm still amazingly optimistic after 5 months of hell that we can somehow escape.  

Blind faith. 

Can't believe we somehow made it to the window not only not cut adrift but not even bottom of the league and within a win of 10th.

Id have bitten your hand off for being 4 points behind back in October as I was sure we'd be about 10 behind at this point. 

Im pretty shocked we are still in it as well to be honest, and I suppose the credit mostly has to go to Kearney who was dealt a pretty bad hand. Whilst none of Ferdinand, Hammill or Jackson haven't  exactly been worldbeaters, I dread to think where we would have been without them. This break is now huge for us. Get the right players in asap and basically have a second pre season and hopefully be ready to kick on straight after... when we play Celtic, Hibs and Rangers in our first three games.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

Im pretty shocked we are still in it as well to be honest, and I suppose the credit mostly has to go to Kearney who was dealt a pretty bad hand. Whilst none of Ferdinand, Hammill or Jackson haven't  exactly been worldbeaters, I dread to think where we would have been without them. This break is now huge for us. Get the right players in asap and basically have a second pre season and hopefully be ready to kick on straight after... when we play Celtic, Hibs and Rangers in our first three games.

Credit should not go to Kearney - At all.

We've been horrific.