The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

21 year old Brad Lyons formerly Coleraine midfielder now with Blackburn Rover will join Saints on loan in January 

Other than Dummett, Concalves, Charlie Adam and to a lesser extent, Conor Newton and Paul MCGowan, I cannot remember any loanees who have done well with Saints. There have been dozens who did not work out.

28 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Other than Dummett, Concalves, Charlie Adam and to a lesser extent, Conor Newton and Paul MCGowan, I cannot remember any loanees who have done well with Saints. There have been dozens who did not work out.

At least Oran has managed this lad so he knows him inside out. 

53 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Yeah, it's definitely easier to find duds than gems in our loans.

I think I'd file Scott Cuthbert and Graeme Carey under 'qualified successes', too, along with Cammy Smith for his part in the Great Escape. Also Harry Davis, even though he only played about six games, he helped turn things around.

That's not me trying to undermine your point - I reckon we have about a 10% hit rate with loan signings.

Edited by Coventry Saint

13 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I don't think loan signings have a higher or lower success rate that permanent signings. Some work out, some don't.

Probably fair. Especially over the past few years. Despite winning the league, our signing record has been fairly abysmal. Ross signed a huge number of duds as well.

That's clearly the reason behind the restructuring of support staff - bringing in Gus for continuity, more experienced assistants and coaches, etc. January will be an excellent early litmus test to see how it's going. 

I'm going to steer well clear if BAWA if we have a rubbish January, mind :lol:

Edited by Coventry Saint

12 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

What are we looking at then, 12 players out 5 players in, realistically?

I think those numbers seem to be about right. It's pretty easy to form a list of 10 players that we wouldn't miss for a single second, plus a couple of others that seem to be not performing/out of favour.

I believe that'd leave us with a squad of 23. It might even just be four in.

I think those numbers seem to be about right. It's pretty easy to form a list of 10 players that we wouldn't miss for a single second, plus a couple of others that seem to be not performing/out of favour.
I believe that'd leave us with a squad of 23. It might even just be four in.
Yep, agreed. It will cost us to shift a lot of these dead beats.

If we can sign 4-5 players to the same standard of Hammill we'll be laughing. Sadly the January transfer window is a minefield. Jack Ross was either very lucky or god like a couple of years ago.

Wonder if we'll at least put the question into Celtic about Lewis Morgan. Don't think he'll want to join though.

14 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Yep, agreed. It will cost us to shift a lot of these dead beats.

If we can sign 4-5 players to the same standard of Hammill we'll be laughing. Sadly the January transfer window is a minefield. Jack Ross was either very lucky or god like a couple of years ago.

Wonder if we'll at least put the question into Celtic about Lewis Morgan. Don't think he'll want to join though.

Absolutely no chance Morgan is coming on loan. 

I’d break our wage structure for hamill or incentive him with “survival” bonus or something - as there is very little chance we will replace him with anything close to his ability.

Unfortunately though I dare say league 1 / lower championship teams will be monitoring his situation and blow us out the water wage wise

Willock away back to Man Utd. Only surprise is he's gone now rather than the end of the month considering we have three games in a week.

Wonder how many minutes past midnight on January 1 the announcement will go up that Kpwekea and King have been binned. Too much to hope Edwards and Hodson go too?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Willock away back to Man Utd. Only surprise is he's gone now rather than the end of the month considering we have three games in a week.

Wonder how many minutes past midnight on January 1 the announcement will go up that Kpwekea and King have been binned. Too much to hope Edwards and Hodson go too?

I think there's a fair chance all the loan players may go back, for the simple reason they are easy to get rid of. None of them impressed enough to think we should keep them. While Jones has improved, he still regularly makes mistakes that often cost us goals, Edwards only gets a game because there's no-one else while Hodson looks better at right back but only on a par with McGinn. Rodgers has been very disappointing, so it wouldn't surprise me if Lyness gets the next three games, if he does well gets kept on as backup and we sign a more experienced keeper.

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Agreed,

Also given how many injuries we've sustained in the last few weeks.

OK is in a tight spot now. He's got to risk playing guys he wants rid of knowing that an injury will tie them here right through January.

Is Kyle McAllister fit? I'd like to see us try and bring him back up the road for the second half of the season.

I also expect we will at least ask the question about Morgan but so will other, far better sides.