The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Have to say I didn't see Sammy calling it a day. 

He gets criticised  a lot by other clubs, but he's largely done well for us for whatever reason! 

It's weird, every St Mirren fan I know likes him so there must be a reason, but he was an absolute disaster for Killie in both spells. Sure he's a nice guy, but I couldn't stand him as a player.

(Ok in the first one he only played once, but he made an absolute howler. Away at Aberdeen I believe.)

5 minutes ago, killiefan27 said:

It's weird, every St Mirren fan I know likes him so there must be a reason, but he was an absolute disaster for Killie in both spells. Sure he's a nice guy, but I couldn't stand him as a player.

(Ok in the first one he only played once, but he made an absolute howler. Away at Aberdeen I believe.)

He's pulled off crucial saves that have been really important over the time. Two come to mind, penalty saves v Celtic in the semi-final at Hampden and then again via Dundee United in the home game when we were fighting for the title last year. 

Sure he's dropped howlers, but he's never been truly terrible for us, despite his reputation when he signed. 

3 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

He's pulled off crucial saves that have been really important over the time. Two come to mind, penalty saves v Celtic in the semi-final at Hampden and then again via Dundee United in the home game when we were fighting for the title last year. 

Sure he's dropped howlers, but he's never been truly terrible for us, despite his reputation when he signed. 

I remember playing you at St Mirren Park the year you went down, and he just wandered out of the box with the ball in his hands.

About 4'35 in this:

I guess it's like Jamie MacDonald for us, who isn't rated at all by Hearts and Falkirk but has made some really crucial saves for us. Except recently. Which earned him a Scotland call for some reason.

37 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

He gets criticised  a lot by other clubs, but he's largely done well for us for whatever reason! 

His contribution to the cause last season in particular was an integral part of us winning the league in style. He made some incredible saves in crucial games that made all the difference in the end. 

I couldn’t give two fucks what he was like for other clubs, he was immense for us.

Speaking as a Motherwell fan Samson easily goes down as one of the worst goalkeepers I've seen at Fir Park.

You could tell that the defence he had in front of him the season he played with us absolutely fucking hated him. The game that finished his Motherwell career absolutely summed him up. Heading in to half time 0-0 against Dundee in what was pretty much a relegation 6 pointer, he literally drops the ball at Mark O'Hara's feet. His presence alone just seemed to suck any confidence out our back 4.

Everything about him being at Motherwell was just weird. He got himself out of his deal at Killie where he was apparently unhappy sitting on the bench, signed for us...where he sat on the bench behind Connor Ripley for almost an entire season. He signed on 15th September 2015, he didn't actually make his debut until 23rd April 2016 when we were already safely top 6.

Then...for reasons only known by Mark McGhee we extended his contract and made him first choice goalkeeper seemingly because he was still hanging around. I honestly can't think of another keeper we've had where it felt like we were almost guaranteed to ship at least a goal a game. Absolutely brutal.

Edited by capt_oats

It's a strange time to go but maybe didn't fancy a relegation to end his career. Does this mean Lyness isn't going out on loan to Airdrie?

Craig Samson has been solid in the Scottish game for a number of years now. Although he was never spectacular he did a job for a number of teams. 

He was bloody awful for Ross County. And we have had some absolute stinkers in goals. He was one of the worst. Up there with Colin Stewart and Dave Cormack. Dreadful.

Edit: and even if that weren’t true, the last adjective I’d use would be solid. Wildly inconsistent would be closer to the truth.

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He was bloody awful for Ross County. And we have had some absolute stinkers in goals. He was one of the worst. Up there with Colin Stewart and Dave Cormack. Dreadful.

Edit: and even if that weren’t true, the last adjective I’d use would be solid. Wildly inconsistent would be closer to the truth.

Only team's fans that say he's anything other than shite are St Mirren fans.

A goalkeeper I've never liked and it astounds me when i see St.Mirren supporters rave about him.

Apparently loves the club and is in the fight to keep us up in the Premiership yet 'retires' and fucks off to join the other snake at Sunderland.

I'm sure we'll recruit a much better goal keeper in January.

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Only team's fans that say he's anything other than shite are St Mirren fans.

In fairness there are a few that see through the 'loves the club' shite.

He's one of the worst I've seen. Gets away with his mistakes in the championship, but found out every time in the big league.

The only compliment I could give him, is that he can save pens.

32 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

A goalkeeper I've never liked and it astounds me when i see St.Mirren supporters rave about him.

Apparently loves the club and is in the fight to keep us up in the Premiership yet 'retires' and fucks off to join the other snake at Sunderland.

I'm sure we'll recruit a much better goal keeper in January.

You've already got one on the bench :)

Samson was an awful keeper who only complete jammie wearers try and suggest wasn't. One good save per month to distract from the multiple blunders