The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Thought that Erwin surprisingly had a really good game yesterday, won a decent amount of headers and his link up play was very good. His through ball to Connolly early on in particular was superb.

Think he'll still play a fair bit til the end of the season so hope the big man can build on that [emoji1320]

20 minutes ago, jm1 said:

Thought that Erwin surprisingly had a really good game yesterday, won a decent amount of headers and his link up play was very good. His through ball to Connolly early on in particular was superb.

Think he'll still play a fair bit til the end of the season so hope the big man can build on that emoji1320.png

Totally agree. He was playing a bit deeper with Connolly, McAllister and McGrath going past him for the flick ons. Also worked hard at closing down.

1 hour ago, jm1 said:

Think he'll still play a fair bit til the end of the season so hope the big man can build on that emoji1320.png

I wouldn't say "very good".

He was certainly moving into the "resembling a footballer" category, and was significantly better than he has been.

Although he hasn't set a particularly high bar in that respect.

The 'Well fans were saying he played his best when alongside Scott MacDonald.

Maybe we could invest in a Scott MacDonald mask for whoever partners him.

No idea what you do if he's the lone striker though.

I wouldn't say "very good".
He was certainly moving into the "resembling a footballer" category, and was significantly better than he has been.
Although he hasn't set a particularly high bar in that respect.
The 'Well fans were saying he played his best when alongside Scott MacDonald.
Maybe we could invest in a Scott MacDonald mask for whoever partners him.
No idea what you do if he's the lone striker though.
The problem is he doesn't play to the teams strengths, the team needs to play to his strengths, which is very limited. His touch has to be one of the worst I have seen from a striker.

He played ok yesterday, done the minimum required. He needs support and players running beyond him.

21 hours ago, GAD said:

I'm absolutely loving this team at the moment. I know it's not always an easy watch, but they ground that out today running on fumes and I don't care how lucky it was. There are no talented wasters, just guys commited to doing the best they can. Everything just feels right about the direction this team, and club, are taking at the moment. We might get top six, we might not, but I'm already excited for next season.

Have wrote this has been a successful season top six or not. The team will be  strengthened in the summer that waters my mouth for next season.  

16 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Have wrote this has been a successful season top six or not. The team will be  strengthened in the summer that waters my mouth for next season.  

Yeah, and I honestly think if it hadn't been for our Covid issues (and I fully accept some of that was self inflicted) we'd already be sitting pretty in the top six and probably pushing for a European spot. It's good to have a bit of stability and a manager we can trust to get the recruitment right for next season, on the evidence so far anyway, especially given he's got the luxury of starting now.

12 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

20210228_164930.thumb.jpg.d1d825e28ed2a8c6f976de3d0d452c5a.jpg

Seen on Reddit! I don't think that was a dive yesterday, there was definitely contact. However,  we have definitely won a couple fortuitous penalties this season, and Jim did come out with that statement recently. 

u/uacpuncher.:bairn

Jim has become a bit of a rent a quote. I do wish he would STFU.

Just quietly do your job Jim and leave the mental quotes to Tony.................and maybe one day Gilles will play for the Rossiniere 👍🏻

Never a penalty in a million years. What I will say is this is the first season in a long time when I do actually feel that whole 'these things balance out over the season' cliché has come true for us. Whether that's true, or is just based on perception because we're not relegation-threatened, and therefore we collectively feel less aggrieved, I don't know. 

Chicken/egg scenario, really: are we higher in the league because we're getting key decisions, or do we feel less pissed off at referees because we're higher in the league?

16 hours ago, Ric said:

The lad is a Ross County fan so of course he's raging.

Enjoy their tears.. https://staggiesview.com/2021/02/27/st-mirren-vs-ross-county-27-02-21/

"Outrageous dive from Doyle-Hayes" and absolutely no contact? Didn't the guy clip his heels? Even so it's a freekick 70 yards from goal. 

The penalty is soft no doubt but it doesn't need as much heads gone from some folk. 

Between 5th December and last Saturday, we played 21 games. That's 21 games in 85 days or almost exactly one game every 4 days. 

From yesterday until the first post split fixture on 17th April, we have 2 games scheduled. That's one game every 24 days.

Have we decided on a spring break rather than a winter break this season? 

1 hour ago, AllyM said:

Between 5th December and last Saturday, we played 21 games. That's 21 games in 85 days or almost exactly one game every 4 days. 

From yesterday until the first post split fixture on 17th April, we have 2 games scheduled. That's one game every 24 days.

I suspect the SPFL were nervous of weather or covid causing further delays, particularly if they weren't sure about top 6 and bottom 6 teams. They've tried to get the 33 fixtures done ASAP to give them a few free weekends. Not the worst idea they've had to be honest, although it looks it won't be needed. 

The Scottish Cup delay has helped too which probably wasn't foreseen. 

1 hour ago, AllyM said:

Scotland games and dates set aside for the Scottish Cup account for the gaps.

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Never a penalty in a million years. What I will say is this is the first season in a long time when I do actually feel that whole 'these things balance out over the season' cliché has come true for us. Whether that's true, or is just based on perception because we're not relegation-threatened, and therefore we collectively feel less aggrieved, I don't know. 

Chicken/egg scenario, really: are we higher in the league because we're getting key decisions, or do we feel less pissed off at referees because we're higher in the league?

There's not a forward in the land who wouldn't have gone to ground in similar circumstances to Quaner on Saturday - in 2021 that's a penalty every day of the week.

8 minutes ago, btb said:

There's not a forward in the land who wouldn't have gone to ground in similar circumstances to Quaner on Saturday - in 2021 that's a penalty every day of the week.

Literally the side of their feet collided with each other. I just can't see it myself. I'd be fucking furious if that was given against us. To be fair, we've been on the receiving end of many similar shite decisions, so I'll take the likely top-six place that it's led to and won't lose any sleep over it.