The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I like the stadium as it is the place can rock with seats. Saying that I get a younger generation would love a standing area. 

Yep I like the stadium as it is too, and wouldn’t be too fussed one way or the other if they didn’t install safe standing, but I think it would be good to give people a choice. I think I would enjoy standing to watch a game on the odd occasion. The grounds that people enjoy going to most are usually standing; Ayr United, behind the goals at QotS etc. 

I don’t see too many issues with turning W7 into safe standing now that the area is no longer used for away fan overspill, and as has been said most of the fans in that area stand anyway. I may be wrong, but is it not only fans in the North Bank group who have season tickets in W7 anyway, so it wouldnt see anyone being moved from their usual seat. The club/stewards seem to tolerate them standing in amongst the seats, which I would imagine is a bigger health and safety risk than the metal railings that would be installed for safe standing. 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yep I like the stadium as it is too, and wouldn’t be too fussed one way or the other if they didn’t install safe standing, but I think it would be good to give people a choice. I think I would enjoy standing to watch a game on the odd occasion. The grounds that people enjoy going to most are usually standing; Ayr United, behind the goals at QotS etc. 

I don’t see too many issues with turning W7 into safe standing now that the area is no longer used for away fan overspill, and as has been said most of the fans in that area stand anyway. I may be wrong, but is it not only fans in the North Bank group who have season tickets in W7 anyway, so it wouldnt see anyone being moved from their usual seat. The club/stewards seem to tolerate them standing in amongst the seats, which I would imagine is a bigger health and safety risk than the metal railings that would be installed for safe standing. 

I’d like to see a standing area as it would undoubtedly improve atmosphere at games. However, not entirely sure it would work in our place.

For example, if you took all seats out of W7 and made that standing, what sort of gap would you need between the standing and seating area so that the people sat on their arses can still see?

I’m overthinking this...

7 hours ago, aldo_j said:

I’d like to see a standing area as it would undoubtedly improve atmosphere at games. However, not entirely sure it would work in our place.

For example, if you took all seats out of W7 and made that standing, what sort of gap would you need between the standing and seating area so that the people sat on their arses can still see?

I’m overthinking this...

Not as much as you think

W7 is at the end of the stand so yes in W6 some seats may become restricted but not very many and the lower down the stand the less you would need to remove

If it was done at an angle you could create a way where people could stand and seat very close to each other.

It would be very different if the singing section was in the middle of the stand..

8 hours ago, aldo_j said:

I’m overthinking this...

Safe-standing in Scotland still involves rail seats like those used in Germany ie there are seats which are flush with the rail but only one person can stand between rails and each has, in theory, their own seat. Capacity remains the same. I realise people will pile in but it is not like the open terracing from the old days - there is one stanchion rail per row not per 10 steps like the old North Bank.

12 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I think we should rename the town St. Mirren, in honour of the team, if we finish top-six this season. 

That'd f**k the song completely, TBF.

"And it's St Mirren St Mirren, St Mirren St Mirren FC, we're by far the greatest team, etc etc"

4 games till the split.  3 at home and one at Ipox.  As of this morning, we're on 35 points.  Goodwin has mentioned the target that should secure a top 6 finish is 41.

On paper, our 6 points should  be achievable from Motherwell and County.  Genuinely believe we should be aiming for 5th.  

Goodwin will have the team pumped for 4 cup finals.  

4 games till the split.  3 at home and one at Ipox.  As of this morning, we're on 35 points.  Goodwin has mentioned the target that should secure a top 6 finish is 41.

On paper, our 6 points should  be achievable from Motherwell and County.  Genuinely believe we should be aiming for 5th.  

Goodwin will have the team pumped for 4 cup finals.  

It’s a three way battle for that final top six spot:
Dundee Utd are on 34 points and their remaining games are:
Rangers (a)
Killie (a)
Celtic (h)
Aberdeen (h)
Assume they will get six points from these games and that will put them on 40. Meaning 40 points should be enough for us to finish above them as we have a better GD.
St Johnstone are on 33 points and their remaining three games are:
Accies (a)
Hibs (h)
Ross County (h)
Can see them getting seven points there, which will also put them on 40. Their GD is closer to ours (we are two goals ahead) so 40
may not be enough to finish ahead of them.
We are on 35 points and our remaining games are:
Motherwell (h)
County (h)
Rangers (a)
Accies (a)
Six points will do it (assuming neither of them win 3/3) five points should do it, four points could do it. I think we will be going to Hamilton on the last day before the split needing something and goal difference is likely to be a factor. Hopefully we get out of Ibrox relatively intact in that regard because I can’t see us giving anyone a doing given our lack of attacking options.
We’re certainly in the best position out of the three but a few of twists and turns to come yet. Let’s hope The Blue Bigots do their bit against the Arabs at Ibrox today for a start.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

It’s a three way battle for that final top six spot:
Dundee Utd are on 34 points and their remaining three games are:
Rangers (a)
Killie (a)
Aberdeen (h)
Assume they will get six points from these games and that will put them on 40. Meaning 40 points should be enough for us to finish above them as we have a better GD.
St Johnstone are on 33 points and their remaining three games are:
Accies (a)
Hibs (h)
Ross County (h)
Can see them getting seven points there, which will also put them on 40. Their GD is closer to ours (we are two goals ahead) so 40
may not be enough to finish ahead of them.
We are on 35 points and our remaining games are:
Motherwell (h)
County (h)
Rangers (a)
Accies (a)
Six points will do it (assuming neither of them win 3/3) five points should do it, four points could do it. I think we will be going to Hamilton on the last day before the split needing something and goal difference is likely to be a factor. Hopefully we get out of Ibrox relatively intact in that regard because I can’t see us giving anyone a doing given our lack of attacking options.
We’re certainly in the best position out of the three but a few of twists and turns to come yet. Let’s hope The Blue Bigots do their bit against the Arabs at Ibrox today for a start.

Dundee Utd have also got Celtic at home, but not sure that will alter too much. Maybe a draw?

So tell me, what difference is the current run we're having compared to the sorts of runs wee Gus would get us to safety with.

The only difference I can see is that we're shitfesting half way up the league rather than at the bottom! ;)

On 21/02/2021 at 09:28, aldo_j said:

What’s happened to Mason? Is he still here?

Never mentioned when Goodwin talks injuries and I know we were close to another left back in the window. Just seems to have disappeared.

“Brandon has had a recurrence of the injury he picked up vs Livingston. Prior to that happening, Brandon was excellent in the three games he played up to then.

“He took a real serious knock on his ankle. It was touch and go whether it required surgery. We left it to try and settle down on its own. We were confident it was back to a manageable place. Unfortunately in the last couple of weeks it’s started to cause him some problems again. He’s had an injection in that, he won’t be available for this weekend” Goodwin concluded.

Looks like he's goosed.

13 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Looks like he's goosed.

Got to be difficult to gauge just how far to push a player when he is on loan. Clearly he's worth a few bob to Coventry (it is Coventry isn't it?) and I'm sure they'd rather he just sit the rest of the season out - especially if we're paying some of his wages.

I'd say it's like walking a tight rope, but not with that ankle it would seem.