The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just listened to Goodwin's interview regarding Hay's serious mussle injury. That's terrible news a week before the semi  :( Was happy to donate to the fine appeal there should be no criticism to those who dont want to or not in a position to donate or to those who do it's a personal choice. 

13 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Looking at the upcoming fixtures, taking 2 points from 9 out of the last 3 games is going to become even more disappointing.

I don’t see a great deal of points coming our way in the next few games.

I see what you mean. :( 

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

Use the amount you ‘piss away’ towards the charitable foundation or youth academy rather than toward a fine the club have been issued for blatant arrogance toward and the breaching of Covid rules that all clubs agreed to at the beginning of the campaign.

It’s one that the club can and should pay pretty easily without help from any outside source.

As far as I can see neither St Mirren or Kilmarnock asked anyone to pay their fine, this is just what supporters do.

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

The formation simply did not work - the players did not seem to know what they were supposed to do.

I really like Tait however he was trying to be left back and left winger yesterday and considering he is very right footed and exposed he had a terrible game. He is no wing back. All his crosses were straight to their keeper and he more often passed inside and backwards (with his right foot) than forwards. When he has Ilkay in front of him he is far more effective. And yes the old formation where the players know what they are supposed to be doing is required next week.

Tait isn't as good as he is made out to be. Fraser is a more dependable full back. Mason, if fit, should be given a shot at left back despite the rough time he got at Hibs.

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

Use the amount you ‘piss away’ towards the charitable foundation or youth academy rather than toward a fine the club have been issued for blatant arrogance toward and the breaching of Covid rules that all clubs agreed to at the beginning of the campaign.

It’s one that the club can and should pay pretty easily without help from any outside source.

If you heard Tony on Sportsound I think you may change your views on the highlight above. There was some initial confusion over a lot of the guidelines that were being issued on a frequent basis but nothing was done to break any guidelines deliberately.

Car sharing. The Club did not endorse or suggest the players share cars. And when the club found out they told the players to stop. To add to the confusion Jason Leitch only a few weeks ago on national radio said it was acceptable to car share if it was the only means of getting to your work.  No arrogance on that one but an admission it happened.

Sitting too close at lunch. . Again and admission it happened once in a hotel on route to the game at Dumfries however the Club assumed the Hotel they were in had taken proper precautions. No arrogant there either but an admission it happened.

Sitting too close on a coach. Held their hands up to that one on the same journey to Dumfries. They thought one person per double seat was enough (as per public transport). No arrogance but an admission it happened.

Its bizarre. Seeing plenty of council vans with 3 or 4 workers in it at a time.

Folk are still picking up work colleagues and car sharing.

Driving home from work on Friday the motorway was mobbed and the town centre was heaving with cars.

It is amazing how many folk are counted as key workers by their employers this time.

Meh this is one for a covid thread but its peeing me off, probably because we are missing the cup semi at Hampden its hitting home this week.

56 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Looking at the upcoming fixtures, taking 2 points from 9 out of the last 3 games is going to become even more disappointing.

I don’t see a great deal of points coming our way in the next few games.

Yeah, it's a bad run of games, but hopefully it will prompt us to go back to what we were doing, with 3 in the middle and one up front. I think it suits us better. Last time we went to Perth Jim did the same, obviously trying to be more positive, but it just ended up with players out of position and we couldn't attack as we were overrun in midfeild. I actually thought we were better after the sending off because it forced us into a midfeild 3.

McGrath is the creative player in the team but he needs help. The 4-4-2 didn't work yesterday - midfield sat far too deep and we had no width. Cammy, unusually, kept playing the ball back to JDH when Jake had just passed to him. The midfield have to pass forward and support the front. Tait is hopeless on his own on the left - he needs Durmus in front of him.

I would revert back to the 4231 that got our best displays this season with McGrath behind Brophy and keep it on the deck. If Ethan starts he has to play a bit further forward and not in line with Jake.

We didn't play a 4-4-2 though, it was more of a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Erwin as a left-sided forward.

If it WAS meant to be a 4-4-2 it was dreadfully organised considering nobody was playing as the left-sided midfielder.

We lined up at the start as a 4-3-3 with Erwin as the left forward and McGrath left midfield. However Erwin, almost from kick-off kept running inside to a central position. In fact in the opening minutes he was out where Connolly should be on the right. Connolly started playing deeper as he wasn't getting the ball allowing Erwin to constantly drift inside making it a 4-4-2. As I have mentioned before the players did not seem to know what positions they were playing or were unable to follow instructions. It was a shambles that should have been sorted quickly.

19 minutes ago, FTOF said:

JDH out for 4-6 weeks.:(

Collin has some medial ligament damage, but not too severe.

St Mirren manager Jim Goodwin provides Jake Doyle-Hayes update ahead of Hampden showdown - Not The Old Firm

If anything reasonable is to come from this, it might be putting teams off with him being laid up for weeks, didn’t stop the likes of Arsenal I know

Just now, ZingaliMan said:

Goodwin has made enquiries regarding a loan for Stevie Mallan.  Posted by Hibs Central on twitter. 

It's only fair that our good friends (Hibs) send someone our way for a change.:rolleyes:

Mallan is a wonderful footballer, would be a very good addition.
Good statement by the club re supposed financial wrongdoing & reads to me like someone has leaked it wanting a headline or to get themselves a little earner. Not particularly clever by whoever it was that leaked.

I've been thinking Mallan is the kind if player we need for a while, and with Hibs now having a lot of midfeilders its worth asking at least. Obviously he comes with issues, but I think we have enough graft in the side to carry him. He's worth a few goals a season as well.