The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I've just been watching the first 45 mins of the Celtic v Livingston game, as I refuse to pay £17.50 for a stream. We have our work cut out next weekend, as Livingston really pressed Celtic, who're admittedly weakened, and created a number of chances. :(

Watching the St Johnstone game, it’s really obvious our midfield isn’t good enough to play 2 upfront. They don’t impose themselves enough and the game just passes them by, we have plenty of strikers but until we can strengthen the middle of the park, we will need to stick with one up top.

6 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I disagree, we are crying out for Goodwin to get the best out of the very capable creative players we have at our disposal.

Agree. For example, we have a guy who won us numerous points last season in Durmus, warming the bench and barely getting a sniff - while we try to squeeze a hapless "target man" into his natural position. Absolutely baffling. Granted, Durmus didn't have a great time of it early in the season, but he's made a difference coming on in recent games and is a goal threat. In fact, Durmus has scored more at this level than Erwin in the last two seasons, and that's with him being a bit-part player this year.

I find it unacceptable that we have players who clearly don’t match other teams work rate. 

Why cant we roll the sleeves up and match the opposition work rate. It’s never going to go all your own way in games. But at least show some desire and hard work ethic If we aren’t firing on all cylinders. 

Agree. For example, we have a guy who won us numerous points last season in Durmus, warming the bench and barely getting a sniff - while we try to squeeze a hapless "target man" into his natural position. Absolutely baffling. Granted, Durmus didn't have a great time of it early in the season, but he's made a difference coming on in recent games and is a goal threat. In fact, Durmus has scored more at this level than Erwin in the last two seasons, and that's with him being a bit-part player this year.
I think covid has affected these players much more than we realise.

17 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I think covid has affected these players much more than we realise.

Fair comment, but Durmus has been involved in every matchday squad since late November - barring Killie when he supposedly had a neck injury - and has started games in that period, as well as coming off the bench in most of them, so I'm not sure it's an excuse in his case.

I don't deny that there may be long-term effects from the illness, but he's looked sharp when introduced in recent weeks. Regardless, he's not the only one who seems to be down the pecking order at the moment.

What gets me is the mystifying formations. Maybe a 4-4-2 would have been suicidal, but at least everyone on the park would be playing in their correct positions. Erwin hasn't been great for us, but we saw signs of something last week, so he gets shunted out wide? It's absolutely fucking bonkers.

I know we've joked about the tombola tactics, but I really do wonder how these line-ups are getting picked. We've got enough options across the park to have everyone in their right positions. 

I disagree, we are crying out for Goodwin to get the best out of the very capable creative players we have at our disposal.
It's an odd one. We could have gone 1 up and played the extra midfielder but Brophy has never been a lone striker hence bringing him in really indicates to me he's intending to go more with 2 up. That said he then played Erwin wide today which has basically had a negative effect both in midfield and up front. It either needs to be 1 up allowing another (presumably) more creative player in midfield or a proper 2 up top not today's halfway house.

Problem in midfield recently is the last few games Erharon and today McPherson aren't doing the dirty work required meaning JDH coming deeper than ideal, he ends up sitting in front of the back 4. This then left the other 2 in midfield fighting a losing battle to exert any influence.

I don't think another playmaker is needed it's a more consistent partner alongside JDH. Foley is the next in line, I hope he gets the nod at Hampden assuming he's fully fit as he's due his chance again. It's then a question of 1 up and the extra midfielder or a proper front 2 with Foley replacing the suspended McPherson in a 4

14 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

PLAY RYAN FLYNN PLEASE

With JDH and MacPherson suspended, JG's hand might be forced in that direction.

We've been stumbling towards today's defeat for a couple of weeks now. In our last three games you'll be lucky if we've created chances approaching double figures for our strikers, despite having had "creative" players like McGrath, Connolly, McAllister and Durmus on the pitch. They all have their moments, but we lack a midfielder who is capable of taking the game by the scruff of the neck, linking back to forward and running directly at defences through the middle. Our midfielders couldn't beat an egg, never mind beat anyone on their way to setting up a chance for our forwards.

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

With JDH and MacPherson suspended, JG's hand might be forced in that direction.

We've been stumbling towards today's defeat for a couple of weeks now. In our last three games you'll be lucky if we've created chances approaching double figures for our strikers, despite having had "creative" players like McGrath, Connolly, McAllister and Durmus on the pitch. They all have their moments, but we lack a midfielder who is capable of taking the game by the scruff of the neck, linking back to forward and running directly at defences through the middle. Our midfielders couldn't beat an egg, never mind beat anyone on their way to setting up a chance for our forwards.

When you put it like that, though... How we feeling about McGrath in the middle alongside Ethan (or whoever)?

He's absolutely got the work rate, is great at moving the ball along, works well in tight spaces... I'd be tempted to try it, tbh.

MacPherson not suspended.
image.png.8f06a045bcf2410eeb4132b2d1cab27c.png
ETA...this is from the SPFL website so according to this MacP will be available for the cup semi and suspended for the DU game.
At least that is something, although will Jim put his faith in Cammy after that yesterday? He is young so will hopefully learn from it.

Is Erhahon suspended?