The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

43 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Thats what happened with Danny Mullen.

No it wasn’t? You signed him from us in January and paid about £40,000 for him.

He joined you a few days before the window on an ‘emergency’ loan

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Callum Davidson made reference to "other Scottish clubs" "offering big pre-contracts" yesterday aswell, so presumably the chat amongst managers is that you've given Brophy a large wage.

Sounds like Callum Davidson has got the sniff of an excuse there.

Just now, ATLIS said:

No it wasn’t? You signed him from us in January and paid about £40,000 for him.

He joined you a few days before the window on an ‘emergency’ loan

So he DID join us on loan before the transfer window opened and then the deal was made permanent. 

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

So he DID join us on loan before the transfer window opened and then the deal was made permanent. 

I’d say there’s a big difference between joining days before a window opens and then making it official, compared to half a season. Imagine it’ll be the same outcome and he’ll sign any day mine you 

The reaction of the Killie board to Dyer's statement will have been interesting.... If the 2 clubs are negotiating then surely it plays right into St Mirren's hands?

If a deal isn't agreed then Killie will be, essentially, a player down for the rest of the season and have bad vibes on the training ground. For us, no great sweat if we don't get him immediately as we already have 3 centre forwards.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

I think this is a good move for Brophy and for St Mirren (and to a lesser extent for us too as there is no point keeping an unhappy player).

St Mirren have picked up a player who will score more goals every season than Erwin and Obika will in my opinion. Even with that being the case I wouldn’t mind either at RP as they are different types of player than Brophy.

Despite all the goals he scored Brophy was never the main man for us, probably due to the fact he was a bit of meh signing when he came in. This is quite a high profile move for our level so he will feel more loved and more important at St Mirren at least in the short term. 

16 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Changed days eh?

When the likes of Nigel Hassebaink jumped ship to a club offering him significantly more money.

That the chat amongst the managers then too.:rolleyes:

Considering Hasselbaink was a free agent when we signed him, and had long since rejected your offer of a new deal, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at tbh.

By all accounts he rejected your deal to get something down south, only absolute dross wanted him, and he ended up with us.

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I think this is a good move for Brophy and for St Mirren (and to a lesser extent for us too as there is no point keeping an unhappy player).

St Mirren have picked up a player who will score more goals every season than Erwin and Obika will in my opinion. Even with that being the case I wouldn’t mind either at RP as they are different types of player than Brophy.

Despite all the goals he scored Brophy was never the main man for us, probably due to the fact he was a bit of meh signing when he came in. This is quite a high profile move for our level so he will feel more loved and more important at St Mirren at least in the short term. 

Good post. For a change.:P

Brophy, like any signing, comes with a risk.

We obviously have offered him a fairly lucrative deal. The three year length was probably the clincher, given the uncertain situation just now. However, given that we're generally a financially well run club (see latest accounts), we definitely won't have "broken the bank. We tend to spend what we can afford.

If he can, stay fit and score between 10 - 15 goals a season for us, that would be great. We might even make some money from him in the longer term.

Of course he could flop, and we'll be left with egg on our face. However, we certainly wouldn't be the first club to experience this.

Hopefully JG can mould him into the player that he expects Brophy to be. 

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Considering Hasselbaink was a free agent when we signed him, and had long since rejected your offer of a new deal, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at tbh.

By all accounts he rejected your deal to get something down south, only absolute dross wanted him, and he ended up with us.

I'm sure you don't.;)

Talk on B & W Army at the time was that he wanted his wage more than doubled to stay with us.

Edited by FTOF

18 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

About 5 minutes in, he says he hasn't enjoyed football in a long while.

TBF to Morias, the question was teed up about Covid-19 and being stop start. Given he wasn't given a run in the team in his position I can kind of understand that. That said at least he tried. 

I'd still felt there was something there in him actually but then I felt the same about Marc Corcoran (except when he played Motherwell for some unknown reason)

48 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I’d say there’s a big difference between joining days before a window opens and then making it official, compared to half a season. Imagine it’ll be the same outcome and he’ll sign any day mine you 

Mullen played 5 games for us on loan before he signed. It definitely wasn't a few days before the window. Maybe about a month. 

Edited by djchapsticks

It makes me wonder...  if Dundee Utd are having their manager qnd first team players take a wage cut, how can we be out bidding the likes of Aberdeen?  

I'm delighted, but also a bit curious about how we are so well run compared to other same sized (and bigger) clubs.  ...  

1 minute ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

It makes me wonder...  if Dundee Utd are having their manager qnd first team players take a wage cut, how can we be out bidding the likes of Aberdeen?  

I'm delighted, but also a bit curious about how we are so well run compared to other same sized (and bigger) clubs.  ...  

Them losing about £5m last season probably plays a part...

We didn't squander millions to get out of the Championship

11 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Because we always seem to run as cautiously as possible, even in good times. 

Imagine how good we'd be looking without the catastrophic appointment of Stubbs. 

12 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Out bidding Aberdeen could be a bit of a misnomer. He'd have likely been Aberdeen's 3rd choice striker, whereas he'll almost certainly be our first choice. So it might be about how much the player is worth to the club.

24 minutes ago, Saint Shug said:

Surely Kilmarnock just need to return the favour of last January here and allow Brophy his move just now , just like St Mirren done with Kirk Broadfoot last year when he asked to go back to Kilmarnock. 

It's a fair point, if we are "owed" a favour then now is the time to call it in.

It's a fair point, if we are "owed" a favour then now is the time to call it in.
To be fair I'm pretty sure Broadfoot was that desperate to leave he stumped up a few grand of his money to buy out his own contract [emoji23] and then proceeded to gloat about that on Killie tv as if they should have forgiven him for trash talking the previous manager down in the papers.