The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

January 2020: "What the f**k is that snake Broadfoot doing bailing out to go back to Kilmarnock? We only signed him 4 months ago."

January 2021: "We don't give a shit if we only signed him 4 months ago, can Killie please take Erwin back?"

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Are you even a real St Mirren fan if you've not considered Erwin going to Killie and assumed he's going to become a baller?

He did not bad the last time he was with us, got himself a nice wee earner in Iran out of it....

Honestly, please don’t get too excited about Brophy. He really isn’t all that. 

He can be a handful at times but some of the reactions to his signing have been massively over the top imo. Had a purple patch for 6 months when he was paired with Greg Stewart under Clarke but apart from that he has been pretty meh imo. 

He is also infuriating at times. Get used to his ridiculous decision making, i.e shooting from 30 yards at an angle rather than passing to a team mate in great positions. 

I think he is a decent enough player at this level but that’s it.

Edited by Nadroj

On 05/01/2021 at 14:27, Coventry Saint said:

Can you expand on that at all? Like, what the other reasons might be? That remains my only nagging doubt is that, given it's fair to say we're operating on about the same level this season, why he hasn't been an automatic starter and why he's not scored many when he has played.

He also has hamstrings made of chocolate. Not saying injury is the sole reason he doesn’t play for us but a combination of being very poor for months and injury would explain it. 

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Lots of bitter Killie fans about lol

Not bitter at all about Brophy, never  rated him that highly at us. Was constantly in and out the team

Jealous of a proactive manager at board though who are planning ahead. When we are stuck with a complete shambles of a manger.

7 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Lots of bitter Killie fans about lol

I hate this sort of patter. How is it bitter to say that we aren’t that bothered about him leaving? He’s a decent enough player but should be replaceable imo. 

I could understand if everyone was making out he is absolutely shite but all the comments so far have been pretty fair imo. 

8 minutes ago, ki11ie said:

Not bitter at all about Brophy, never  rated him that highly at us. Was constantly in and out the team

Jealous of a proactive manager at board though who are planning ahead. When we are stuck with a complete shambles of a manger.

At least we got him cheap- £3K per week is a bargain. 

Brophy is a player who is crying out to be coached, makes poor choices in games and his head goes down very quickly but in saying that I think there is a player there. By all accounts fell out with one of the management team which could be a reason for lack of game time. Great memories of his goals against the hvns but can’t say I’m overly bothered about him leaving more bothered about my own teams lack of forward planning.

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

He did not bad the last time he was with us, got himself a nice wee earner in Iran out of it....

Weirdly, 'I ran' is something he rarely says after a match.

11 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Brophy is a player who is crying out to be coached

Hmm. There are reservations (possibly just my own) about the ability of our coaching staff to get the best out of forward players.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Like any signing, until we actually see them in action in a St Mirren shirt, they might turn out to be great, meh, or Djemba Djemba. All we can realistically ask ourselves, prior to seeing them, is if we think they are better than what we already have. In this case, the answer surely is ‘yes’. 

Personally, I’m looking forward to watching him shoot from impossible angles thirty yards from goal instead of passing to a team-mate. For St Mirren fans, that will be a welcome change from watching strikers who never fcuking shoot from any angle or distance whatsoever.

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Weirdly, 'I ran' is something he rarely says after a match.

Hmm. There are reservations (possibly just my own) about the ability of our coaching staff to get the best out of forward players.

I would imagine he’ll have a better chance at you guys, if he wants to learn by all accounts rather huffy. As I said I think there is a player there but gets to a stage the player has to do his bit.

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Obika to Killie?

If so.....

Killie fans - ‘great signing, always liked him at St Mirren. Puts himself about. A handful for opponents. Just what we need’.

St Mirren fans - ‘all he does is fend people off with his arse, well rid, shite scoring record, you’re welcome to him’.

I think one of the soundest pieces of business St. Mirren could do would be to add a reputable attacking coach. 

We don't have one and someone who is well drilled in attacking movement, link up play and attacking set pieces would be as good as a new signing. We definitely have enough talent there in an attacking sense with Obika, McGrath, Durmus, McAllister and Brophy coming in but we still seem very disjointed going forward at times.

A coach who could implement some ideas and dedicated attacking drills would be a good addition.

Edited by djchapsticks

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think one of the soundest pieces of business St. Mirren could do would be to add a reputable attacking coach. 

We don't have one and someone who is well drilled in attacking movement, link up play and attacking set pieces would be as good as a new signing. We definitely have enough talent there in an attacking sense with Obika, McGrath, Durmus, McAllister and Brophy coming in but we still seem very disjointed going forward at times.

A coach who could implement some ideas and dedicated attacking drills would be a good addition.

I was watching an interview with Allan Shearer and he discussed how Kenny Dalgleish made such a difference to his career at Blackburn by teaching him a lot of little subtle ways to get the better of defenders.

It surprises me that you have a specific goal keeping coach at clubs, yet the hardest aspect of the game is scoring goals and that largely gets ignored. I think Jim and Lee are doing a great job but I’m not sure what either of them know about coaching a goal scorer.