The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

For what Jakubiak showed while he was with us, I'm pretty surprised he's not cemented himself into that Dundee line up. Nice to see wee Danny get a goal to sink the miserable lot from Gorgie mind.

I think he got injured preseason and has been out since.

2 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I think he got injured preseason and has been out since.

Considering he turned down the wages we were willing to pay him for a bumper deal with the 'sugar-daddy' Derry funsters, you'd guess it has to be something. They aren't short of strikers though.

8 minutes ago, Ric said:

For what Jakubiak showed while he was with us, I'm pretty surprised he's not cemented himself into that Dundee line up. Nice to see wee Danny get a goal to sink the miserable lot from Gorgie mind.

Jakubiak was massivley overrated by some St Mirren fans to be honest, considering he couldn't pass and never scored. Dundee are paying him an absolute fortune as well.

Brophy is a decent enough signing. I think Craigkillie is right, a bit overrated, but definitely not pish. We will need to create chances for him if he's going to score though.

34 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Coming from a fan of a club who paid an absolute fortune for  Jakubiak that’s a bit rich.

Dundee paid a fortune for Jakubiak? The only team we beat to his signature, was St Mirren. A team we will be matching wages wise despite being a league below. 

You have (going by reports) managed to outbid the likes of Aberdeen and Hibs, both of whom pay well over and above what is affordable or sustainable for a club of St Mirren's size. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Dundee paid a fortune for Jakubiak? The only team we beat to his signature, was St Mirren. A team we will be matching wages wise despite being a league below. 

You have (going by reports) managed to outbid the likes of Aberdeen and Hibs, both of whom pay well over and above what is affordable or sustainable for a club of St Mirren's size. 

Someone will surely correct me here, but from memory he doubled, and perhaps trebled his wage demands when we showed interest on singing him permanently. His agent not reading the room at all, while we were paying him nowhere near what he was on at Watford, as a loanee of course, seemed to be playing hardball.

Next thing he rocks up at Dundee, so either he (or his agent) learnt to settle for much (much) less or Dundee are paying over the odds.

I feel there might be more to this, as I say, I await someone to correct me on the exact script. I'm sure it'll be something similar to what I've written though.

Edited by Ric

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It's wholly conceivable that we would be willing to pay more to make him our first choice striker than Aberdeen or Hibs would be willing to part with to make him their third choice. 

If it was a straight shoot of offering a wage befitting of a first choice striker at each respective club, a bid to make him the main focal point of the team, then Aberdeen and Hibs would both blow us out of the water. There's no doubt about it. 

Similar to the Jakubiak situation. His agent came to us with a number in terms of his wage expectations and taking into consideration his squad place and overall worth he'd provide to the team, we didn't believe he was worth it. Dundee did though. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Dennis Wyness.

That's the fella! f**k me I couldn't pull his name out from the murky of my memory and I was determined not to Google it.

Here's one, not St Mirren related, but wasn't one of his family members part of the Inverness board or did they just share the same name?

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Dargo was an excellent player who was physically broken by that point. When he was on the park his intelligence and movement shone through in a Gus MacPherson side that was far too ponderous for him. 

Dargo made Dorman the player he was with us as his runs made space for Dorman. He was noticeably poorer when Dargo didn’t play - Rangers SF a prime example when he was being talked up as a £1m player.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Has suffered from injuries all season, out for a few months right now. From when he's played, despite trying to get back to full fitness, he played pretty well. Mullen's doing fine too.

Don't think Brophy is shite fwiw, think if he gets going he'll be decent. Certainly a statement of intent for Saints which is nice to see.

Also, the Osman Sow deal looks like excellent business right now, I can't believe some would try to diss it at this particular point.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Brophy is a bang average top fight striker at his best, but thats a fair better than what you've got, aside from Obika.

Guess it comes down to money how this deal will look. If you spent a fortune on him then its stupid, if not its a very good deal.

Issue is he needs a huge amount of shots to score, and he'll waste a huge amount of your attacks by shooting from 25 yards even when a simple pass is on. If you get him out those habits though...

He looks pretty much like a standard low double figures return if given enough game time (which, again, raises the question about Obkia - unless we look to play 2 up front far more).
That said, we've seen considerably more prolific strikers come to the club and struggle to find the net. Dargo being a prime example, imo.
Dargo that only ever scored 31 top flight goals in his whole career and 14 of them were in 1 season and it took him 150 odd games plus he was a permanent sick note so that spanned way more than the 4 years or so Brophy has been at that level to notch just 2 less by age 24 in about half the games.

The only similarity is him being at Killie before we made a move !!!

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Dargo that only ever scored 31 top flight goals in his whole career and 14 of them were in 1 season and it took him 150 odd games.

Brophy has 36 goals in 158 top flight games.

18/19s tally of 11 the only time he's scored more than 10.

Most stats sights I see say 29 from 90 starts with a few sub appearances over that. Anyway your figs back me up Brophy has a far better record at 24 than Dargo did in his whole career at this level.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Most stats sights I see say 29 from 90 starts with a few sub appearances over that.

That's nice.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Much fairer to go with his record at his current club. 28 goals in around 70 league starts and 35 sub appearances for Killie. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Much fairer to go with his record at his current club. 

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how you'll play him really.

As I say, he's a top flight quality striker so easy to see why you've gone for him. If you've genuinely outbid Aberdeen/Hibs for him though, then its potentially not that great a deal.

One of those you'll have to judge at the end of next season, as it could go either way. I just wouldn't get your hopes up for a striker who'll get much more than 5/6 goals in your side (put money on him bagging 20 now I've said this).