The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

20 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Has there been anymore info on what the financial stuff might be? May have been an oversight or genuine accounting error?

It’s something to do with this.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55173402

Allegedly it dates back to when St Mirren players bet on a double correct score prediction related to Celtic winning 5-0 and Hearts losing 2-0 sometime around 1986....

The day after the announcement and I've had more time to think about it.

I'm still really pissed off and think the punishment was too severe, however, my anger has switched from the inept SPFL to the players and management at the club.

They knew they were breaking the rules and by their actions, have completely let down the supporters.

This punishment will more than likely be crucial come the end of the season. 

3 hours ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Hearts never got deducted points. Next🤘

Neither did St Mirren.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
3 hours ago, Gorgie greatness said:
Hearts never got deducted points. Nextemoji869.png

Would need to have points first for them to be deducted.

Not true. Many clubs have started seasons on "-x" points.

It costs 650K 

still made a profit [emoji57]

If you’d have spent that on your team maybe you wouldn’t be second in the league and you wouldn’t have just been papped out the cup by part time Alloa:
Thanks for popping up to remind us things could be so much worse, we could be Hearts fans [emoji122]

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

If you’d have spent that on your team maybe you wouldn’t be second in the league and you wouldn’t have just been papped out the cup by part time Alloa:
Thanks for popping up to remind us things could be so much worse, we could be Hearts fans emoji122.png

They didn't even "make a profit", FWIW.

They got ~£3.5m "gifted" to them, which kept them from having a seven figure loss. Same as has happened every season under Budge.

None as blind etc.

47 minutes ago, Blaze said:

The day after the announcement and I've had more time to think about it.

I'm still really pissed off and think the punishment was too severe, however, my anger has switched from the inept SPFL to the players and management at the club.

They knew they were breaking the rules and by their actions, have completely let down the supporters.

This punishment will more than likely be crucial come the end of the season. 

The punishment may not be a punishment, it is feasible that you may have won none of these points although you have been robbed of the chance to try.

In many other sports and leagues, if you don’t turn up you forfeit the game, this is what has happened here.

I feel detached from the issue but we have been awarded 6 points for no effort, it is feasible we could have gained these points anyway.  But now that we have them I am strangely attached to them and feel they cannot be removed as that would be toying with an innocent party.

Pretty embarrassing all round, but at least we've never lost to 9 men in a national cup final...

The Kibble angle that some supporters are talking about is interesting - albeit it's been the moon howlers saying "St Kibble FC" etc. Could it be that they are trying to implement some proper corporate governance into the club, hence why we're finding historic accounting issues?

I can't see Tony lasting the season as CEO, think that's pretty clear.

Maybe us and Killie should should go to court for a case we'll never win- just had a flashback to the summer there.
Don't know if you read the full submission from the SPFL but costs have still to be decided after yesterday's verdict. That will be decided by a separate process but given the length of the enquiry and the judicial parties involved they will be considerable. I suspect Saints and Killie may yet have to pay those too.

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Munoz said:
Maybe us and Killie should should go to court for a case we'll never win- just had a flashback to the summer there.

Don't know if you read the full submission from the SPFL but costs have still to be decided after yesterday's verdict. That will be decided by a separate process but given the length of the enquiry and the judicial parties involved they will be considerable. I suspect Saints and Killie may yet have to pay those too.

Great. Clubs are struggling because of Covid and now we are likely to take another financial hit because of our inability to follow rules.

Someone needs their bawz booted for this shambles. 

57 minutes ago, ropy said:

The punishment may not be a punishment, it is feasible that you may have won none of these points although you have been robbed of the chance to try.

The bit in bold. Yeah. I'm reluctant to complain too much as it's not dissimilar to the Hearts situation in terms of what has been lost. (Flashbacks to endless circular debates with some of the Jambo melters on here who couldn't get their heads around the fact that all they actually lost was the right to play eight games.)

Our negligence/stupidity (call it whatever you want) is at fault here, and as a result we have (rightly, IMO) forfeited the right to contest these games, plus also, as it sounds, some legal costs.

I remain a bit shellshocked by what's gone on, but as other posters have said, having slept on it, it's more a case of being appalled that we've been so fucking inept.

(I also do believe the rules remain a little bit contradictory/incongruous, but complaining about rules you knew about after you've been punished for breaking them makes you look like a  right c**t, so I'll not do that. I think we can all only hope that the rules are applied equitably from here on in. Not that I think anybody will be daft enough to makes these mistakes again.)

tl;dr - we'll take it on the chin because not doing so would be really Heartsy.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Wherever you stand on the punishment given out by the SPFL,still makes me cringe to think that they would never apply the same punishment to either of the arse cheeks. 

The club need to accept it and get their act together, but let’s not pretend the strict measures taken against St Mirren and Kille would be replicated, had this been either old firm team. 

Rules for some none for the old firm.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Rules were broken, punishment has been meted out, accept it and move on.

As long as the SPFL are as robust in dealing with any further breaches of the same nature no matter which club(s) are involved.

Pretty much it in a nutshell.

However, I await the mass outcry for a 3-0 walkover next time 2 or 3 players from another team are out with covid.

At the end of the day, if we failed to field a team for both games but it was found we'd adhered to all rules set out but had the misfortune of an outbreak - just one of those things - then there's no chance that we'd be forfeiting these games.

We've have to forfeit not due to players getting covid but due to negligence to prevent it happening.