The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, I literally emailed them once, got ignored, and have never emailed since.

Thought it might be handy to highlight a player since I'm aware the club have no scouts and that the manager was about a month into the job and likely focused on other things. 

I doubt they even read the email tbh.

Heh.. although I can see why you might have thought it, it wasn't a dig at you, or at DJC either.

I understand emailing your club about the odd player, I was more aiming at the obsessives who - while, perhaps well meaning - seem to think they are some sort of footballing 'uber sleuth'.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I doubt they even read the email tbh.

I think clubs are fairly unlikely to pay attention even allowing for the fact that, in this case, you were largely correct.

I know of a Saints fan who tried to tell Gus MacPherson about a young Andy Carroll, who was available for loan from Newcastle. Gus shrugged him off; didn't want to know at all.

Gary McAllister used to get very arsey in the press room at Coventry if we questioned his decisions. "What would you know, you've not played the game at the highest level..." kinda thing. This is probably similar.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think clubs are fairly unlikely to pay attention even allowing for the fact that, in this case, you were largely correct.

I know of a Saints fan who tried to tell Gus MacPherson about a young Andy Carroll, who was available for loan from Newcastle. Gus shrugged him off; didn't want to know at all.

Gary McAllister used to get very arsey in the press room at Coventry if we questioned his decisions. "What would you know, you've not played the game at the highest level..." kinda thing. This is probably similar.

..but Gary, he's really good at taking penalties. Something I realise you don't have much background in.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Heh.. although I can see why you might have thought it, it wasn't a dig at you, or at DJC either.

I understand emailing your club about the odd player, I was more aiming at the obsessives who - while, perhaps well meaning - seem to think they are some sort of footballing 'uber sleuth'.

I certainly hope not.

I've never emailed the club asking them to take a look at players. :lol:

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I certainly hope not.

I've never emailed the club asking them to take a look at players. :lol:

Sorry, I thought from this comment you'd done similar..

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Been there, done that. Is shite. :lol:

24 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Having beaten Aberdeen, and with one half of the OF out, we really have a reasonable chance of getting to the final if we can avoid Rangers, IMHO.

Normally a draw against one of the OF isn't the worst thing as cup game gate receipts are split. This season though it's possibly the worst draw you can get.

56 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Having beaten Aberdeen, and with one half of the OF out, we really have a reasonable chance of getting to the final if we can avoid Rangers, IMHO.

And I for one wish you every luck 

Have always enjoyed my away days in Paisley ( well apart from when we lose obviously)

We also have to thank you for Fergie, Weir, Frankie, Scanlon to name a few.

Maybe not so much Ricky Gillies

Edited by Sheep62

2 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Have always enjoyed my away days in Paisley ( well apart from when we lose obviously)

Really?

Tony said he could play for AC Milan 😂

5 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Scanlon came to us from Aberdeen as part of the Weir transfer.

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Unless you're Ross County, tbf.

They've got history with Celtic/Lennon.

I'm not sure when the draw is, but I'd happily take a home tie against them in the next round.