The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

33 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Whilst I obviously am delighted we won today, I'm also thinking how raging I'd be if our once-per-decade trip to Hampden comes around this year. 

Tbf , if we do make the semis it will be our 4th Hampden trip ( not including Queens Park games) this decade,  but your point still stands.

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Tbf , if we do make the semis it will be our 4th Hampden trip ( not including Queens Park games) this decade,  but your point still stands.

Are you sure about that? We're only 11 months into it... 😉

Good result for you boys. I believe Aberdeen were short of some key players, but admirably they've not said much about that at all.  

Fed up with MacInnes and Dons fans bleating about 3 players out. Saints minus Shaunessey, Erharon and Flynn is no different. If 3 players missing turn you into bottom 3 dross then I would suggest the club haven't recruited well at all in terms of a squad. If your unable to compete with St Mirren and Hamilton with the resources Mcinnes has then I would strongly suggest he chucks it.

Fed up with MacInnes and Dons fans bleating about 3 players out. Saints minus Shaunessey, Erharon and Flynn is no different. If 3 players missing turn you into bottom 3 dross then I would suggest the club haven't recruited well at all in terms of a squad. If your unable to compete with St Mirren and Hamilton with the resources Mcinnes has then I would strongly suggest he chucks it.
It was still a pretty strong Aberdeen team. They managed to bring Hayes and McGinn into the starting line up tonight [emoji50]. They didn't have a midfield though and we capitalised.

We now look like a team again. Delighted for Jim and the players. If we play like that most weeks we will have a good season.

A favourable draw could see us back at Hampden.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, TonyFerrino said:
Good result for you boys. I believe Aberdeen were short of some key players, but admirably they've not said much about that at all.  

Mason was missing too.

He's been very good for us so far too.

I'll give @RandomGuy. his fair dues.

He marked Jake Doyle-Hayes as a baller the day we signed him and he's been proven absolutely correct.

Boy is firmly in the 'too good for this level' mould and given he's still a youngster, will have some clubs much larger than us courting him in the summer.

Hopefully Goody can work some of that silver tongued charm that the players seem to love him for and convince him that another 2 or 3 years here won't do him any harm.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll give @RandomGuy. his fair dues.

He marked Jake Doyle-Hayes as a baller the day we signed him and he's been proven absolutely correct.

Boy is firmly in the 'too good for this level' mould and given he's still a youngster, will have some clubs much larger than us courting him in the summer.

Hopefully Goody can work some of that silver tongued charm that the players seem to love him for and convince him that another 2 or 3 years here won't do him any harm.

I emailed Saints about him way back in September 😭

Screenshot_20201128-233552_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5e84a54a9bcc1dabe6fb3307468b4101.jpg

Got completely blanked, so our loss your gain, I guess.

He was on trial at Championship/League One sides this Summer. Apparently the new squad rules/wage caps, plus Covid money worries, caused those deals to fall through.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I emailed Saints about him way back in September 😭

Screenshot_20201128-233552_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5e84a54a9bcc1dabe6fb3307468b4101.jpg

Got completely blanked, so our loss your gain, I guess.

He was on trial at Championship/League One sides this Summer. Apparently the new squad rules/wage caps, plus Covid money worries, caused those deals to fall through.

Maybe you emailed it to us by mistake...

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Maybe you emailed it to us by mistake...

Just checked and it was actually August...

Untitled.thumb.png.af13b4a9f3fdb885464444a1bdf1e9b4.png

Emailed a few folk at the club tbh, wasn't sure who to contact. Youve maybe got a mole at McDiarmid though...

Edited by RandomGuy.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Who else have you emailed them about?

Asking for a pal.

Was Doyle-Hayes, and a boy called Kenny Dougall, released by Barnsley due to Covid aswell. Both were players better than our level, yet likely to end up their due to circumstances.

Dougall signed a 2 year deal at Blackpool, already being talked about as impressing for them...

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/hes-going-be-really-important-us-season-blackpool-boss-lauds-early-impact-former-barnsley-midfielder-3044870

Also have a list of players worth keeping an eye on this Summer. Ones I'm keeping an eye by positon...

CB: Mattie Pollock (Grimsby)

CM: Ryan Wintle (Crewe)

W: Luke McCowan (Ayr)

ST: Ryan Hardie (Plymouth)

Some could be shite. Just players whos numbers come out well to me, and I'm not doing this a job so its nothing more than me fucking about, seeing how they end up, and feeling chuffed if I turn out to be right.

Although I made that list in August and haven't looked at it since, and it looks like the first two are already being linked with clubs well beyond Saints level.

Edited by RandomGuy.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was Doyle-Hayes, and a boy called Kenny Dougall, released by Barnsley due to Covid aswell. Both were players better than our level, yet likely to end up their due to circumstances.

Dougall signed a 2 year deal at Blackpool, already being talked about as impressing for them...

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/hes-going-be-really-important-us-season-blackpool-boss-lauds-early-impact-former-barnsley-midfielder-3044870

Also have a list of players worth keeping an eye on this Summer. Ones I'm keeping an eye by positon...

Some could be shite. Just players whos numbers come out well to me, and I'm not doing this a job so its nothing more than me fucking about, seeing how they end up, and feeling chuffed if I turn out to be right.

Been there, done that. Is shite. :lol:

In all honestly, Hardie played in a really, really poor team and he just didn't look at all interested by the end. He was a massive disappointment.

It's measure of how badly a hold he had of the situation that Alex Rae had Hardie, Lawrence Shankland, Lewis Morgan and Stevie Mallan in the championship and built such a pile of shite around them that he couldn't get a tune out of those four.

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Although I made that list in August and haven't looked at it since, and it looks like the first two are already being linked with clubs well beyond Saints level.

3 out of 4 on that list are shite.

You are right about Doyle-Hayes being a player though.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

In all honestly, Hardie played in a really, really poor team and he just didn't look at all interested by the end. He was a massive disappointment.

It's measure of how badly a hold he had of the situation that Alex Rae had Hardie, Lawrence Shankland, Lewis Morgan and Stevie Mallan in the championship and built such a pile of shite around them that he couldn't get a tune out of those four.

I think Hardie was when I was looking for a player similar to Steven MacLean. So searched for strikers who poach goals and complete a lot of deep passes. Haven't looked at him this season yet.

8 hours ago, dumpweed said:

3 out of 4 on that list are shite.

Aye that's always the worry finding players through numbers alone, they might be horrendous 😅

As I say, just a f**k about for me to see what players I find and how their careers go.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Hardie was constantly played out if position for us as well, because Rae had signed five strikers. He was just left wandering about on the right wing looking demotivated and shite. When he played as a striker for Raith, then Livi after us he always looked a lot better. 

A lot of the guys that played for us under Rae weren't actually as bad as he made them look. Rae's strategy of signing hundreds of strikers and defenders, whilst hoping the midfeild could be held together by a broken Rocco Quinn was never going to work in hindsight.

Got to say, imo, contacting your club on a regular basis based on your reading of statistical data absolutely reeks of a basement dwelling, nae mates, type. Dropping the odd email? Sure, no harm in that. Living in far flung shores? Again, drop them a quick email. To assume you somehow have access to more data than people who are paid to do the job, about a player who is playing in the same country is bordering on arrogance.

Anyway, that's just a sidenote, I'm posting to drop in a gif of that Lewis howler should anyone wish to use it for sharing..

UcYJ5gE.gif

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Got to say, imo, contacting your club on a regular basis based on your reading of statistical data absolutely reeks of a basement dwelling, nae mates, type. Dropping the odd email? Sure, no harm in that. Living in far flung shores? Again, drop them a quick email. To assume you somehow have access to more data than people who are paid to do the job, about a player who is playing in the same country is bordering on arrogance.

Yeah, I literally emailed them once, got ignored, and have never emailed since.

Thought it might be handy to highlight a player since I'm aware the club have no scouts and that the manager was about a month into the job and likely focused on other things. 

I doubt they even read the email tbh.