The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

There are many times you could call into question Collum's decision making. Some times it's fair criticism, many times it's not. On this occasion though, it's just down right incompetence. We don't know what the assistant or the 4th official might have contributed but they really should have been making it known how bad a tackle this was.

This video clip shows Collum had an unobstructed view of the whole incident...

https://i.imgur.com/0i38CIW.mp4

What is utterly galling is his eagle eye as the 4th official, from even further away, in a previous game. All I ask is for consistency. With the position of the current compliance officer somewhat up in the air (she's resigned but remains in post) I doubt this will be looked at.

How Collum, the assistant and 4th official  didn't spot it really shows how bad scottish officilas are. Did we even get a free-kick.? will Holt receive "trial by Sportscene"?

7 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

How Collum, the assistant and 4th official  didn't spot it really shows how bad scottish officilas are. Did we even get a free-kick.? will Holt receive "trial by Sportscene"?

Didn't get a free-kick, gave the thrown in. The 4th official was happy to intervene when there was a dubious throw in call so perhaps unlike Collum, as a 4th official, he didn't want to get involved when it came to a controversial decision. In real time the challenge looked like Holt was just harder in the tackle however on replay it showed how nasty it was. He was well off the ground. Referees are on the park to spot these in real time without the need of a video replay.

Collum has been quick to spot other challenges in the past, he is a terrible referee as we've witnessed in every game he has officiated us in. Sportscene showed the clip with a replay and I think the commentator may have passed comment on it but given we had a 3 minute slot last night the studio didn't bother their arse to mention it. Perhaps they will change that tonight, I doubt it though. 

29 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

The 4th official was happy to intervene when there was a dubious throw in call so perhaps unlike Collum, as a 4th official, he didn't want to get involved when it came to a controversial decision.

I believe it depends on the referee on whether the assistants are to call anything other than line decisions.

It's beyond frustration, back in the olden times when you could go to games, watching a player being obviously fouled literally a few feet away from the assistant and they blithely ignoring it hoping the referee calls it.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

I believe it depends on the referee on whether the assistants are to call anything other than line decisions.

It's beyond frustration, back in the olden times when you could go to games, watching a player being obviously fouled literally a few feet away from the assistant and they blithely ignoring it hoping the referee calls it.

Unless it was Douglas Ross, he's always been power mad that one.

Just now, oaksoft said:

Fucking hell.

That's the first time I've seen the tackle in slow motion. That is horrific and Mason is very lucky to be walking after that.

I don't have as strong a stomach as I though I had.

These sorts of things always look worse slowed down, but, yeah... not pretty.

Was there not a ref a few years ago that had a pretty bad record against St Mirren, to the point I think he was caught saying something to Gus MacPherson along the lines of "you'll never get a decision while I'm in charge"? He got quietly removed from doing our games in the league, only for the SFA to give him a cup game against Dundee United just before he retired, causing a bit of a row (if I remember correctly we won the game thanks to a Craig Dargo goal). Anyone else remember this?

Was there not a ref a few years ago that had a pretty bad record against St Mirren, to the point I think he was caught saying something to Gus MacPherson along the lines of "you'll never get a decision while I'm in charge"? He got quietly removed from doing our games in the league, only for the SFA to give him a cup game against Dundee United just before he retired, causing a bit of a row (if I remember correctly we won the game thanks to a Craig Dargo goal). Anyone else remember this?
Eddie Smith? I remember he wasn't allowed to officiate our games after the Nakamura incident (I think).

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Just now, Mordecai said:

Eddie Smith? I remember he wasn't allowed to officiate our games after the Nakamura incident (I think).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/other-sports/furious-st-mirren-boss-gus-986692.amp

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

13 minutes ago, Mordecai said:
15 minutes ago, GAD said:

It wasn't Eddie Smith I'm sure, that was a different issue, and it wasn't just us who had an issue with him, it was anyone who played Celtic. I'm sure he was also quietly retired due to "injury".

I'm sure it was this and the ref in question was Alan Freeland-

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/gus-blows-whistle-scottish-cup-2639248

Edited by GAD

It wasn't Eddie Smith I'm sure, that was a different issue, and it wasn't just us who had an issue with him, it was anyone who played Celtic. I'm sure he was also quietly retired due to "injury".
I'm sure it was this and the ref in question was Alan Freeland-
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/gus-blows-whistle-scottish-cup-2639248

Was there not an issue MacPherson had with Crawford Allan as well? I seem to remember Gus having a particular gripe about us getting him each time we travelled east.
Eddie Smith is the only corrupt referee I have seen, the rest are inconsistent. Apart from Dallas who is an angry wee man hopelessly out of his depth due to nepotism.

We've got a better team than any of the other bottom 6.
I do like your confidence [emoji51].

I think it's hard to judge as Goodwin doesn't know his strongest team yet and for the majority of players this season, they haven't been good enough. Maybe that is down to the manager too and covid.

Of the current bottom 6 I'd say Motherwell and StJohnstone have a better team than us but not by much. Maybe County are on a par but they are hamstrung by their manager imo.

Was interested to see Durmus on the bench again at the weekend. I'm not exaggerating to say I'd forgotten he existed; yet another disappointing performer this season.

If he and Flynn can come back and play like they did last season then - cliché warning - it's like two new signings.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Of the current bottom 6 I'd say Motherwell and StJohnstone have a better team than us but not by much. Maybe County are on a par but they are hamstrung by their manager imo.

Motherwell are comfortably better, but I'm not sure you class them as bottom six these days. 

St Johnstone/St Mirren seasons problem depend entirely on their main striker. So far May is doing well for us, I've no idea how Obika is doing for you lot.

I doubt either will be close to Hamilton, and I'd be disappointed if we finished below County so guess you lot are the same.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Motherwell are comfortably better, but I'm not sure you class them as bottom six these days. 

St Johnstone/St Mirren seasons problem depend entirely on their main striker. So far May is doing well for us, I've no idea how Obika is doing for you lot.

I doubt either will be close to Hamilton, and I'd be disappointed if we finished below County so guess you lot are the same.

Yeah, plus Livi (teams we should be above). You'll be above us again this year; I think we'll be 9th.

You have to assume Accies will twist first in terms of binning Rice. Can't see it making much difference though.

I was just going by the current bottom 6, I'd say Motherwell are a top 6 club now.

Aye its eerily similar. Obika hasn't been first choice all season, I think he is our most potent striker though. Same with May. StJohnstone must be pretty close to battering someone soon, when do we next meet [emoji15], couple of games away isn't it?

7 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

IAye its eerily similar. Obika hasn't been first choice all season, I think he is our most potent striker though. Same with May. StJohnstone must be pretty close to battering someone soon, when do we next meet emoji15.png, couple of games away isn't it?

I've honestly no idea, hard to keep an interest without getting to games, apart from when the games on, if that makes sense.

Surprised Obika isn't playing more, to me he's your best CF by a distance.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've honestly no idea, hard to keep an interest without getting to games, apart from when the games on, if that makes sense.

Surprised Obika isn't playing more, to me he's your best CF by a distance.

Obika had Covid,  hence his time out of the starting lineup.