The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
On 06/11/2020 at 22:33, aldo_j said:
Agreed about Connolly...seemed like the obvious one for me. Bit of pace to drag their back line out. 

If Goodwin is determined to play the 3/5 at the back, the width is going to be provided by the wing backs so unless Connolly has the defensive capabilities to play that role I'm not seeing where he fits into that formation. It seems odd bringing him in if JG always had the wing back plan at the back of his mind unless he thought he could do that role but training has shown otherwise. Alternatively JG might see him as something other than a wide player in which case he can't be showing much if the likes of Cammy are getting the attacking support slot ahead of him.

I think you could make a case for Connolly slotting in instead of McGrath in that line-up. We were basically playing a 3-6-1 on Friday - I was genuinely surprised to see how advanced Tait and Mason were, and it made a real difference.

But I've gone a bit cold on McGrath, tbh. He's just not quite doing it. He's tidy enough in possession but he's creating little to nothing, and it's not like he's popping up on the edge of the box, Dorman-style.

While it wouldn't be a pure wide role, I think giving Connolly that free role to play off the striker could work, based on what I've seen of him. His pace means he would either force defences back, creating space for others to get forward from midfield, or he would have room in behind if they push up.

I honestly would be looking for any way I could to get him in the team, even if he just runs himself ragged for an hour.

5 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
On 06/11/2020 at 22:33, aldo_j said:
Agreed about Connolly...seemed like the obvious one for me. Bit of pace to drag their back line out. 

If Goodwin is determined to play the 3/5 at the back, the width is going to be provided by the wing backs so unless Connolly has the defensive capabilities to play that role I'm not seeing where he fits into that formation. It seems odd bringing him in if JG always had the wing back plan at the back of his mind unless he thought he could do that role but training has shown otherwise. Alternatively JG might see him as something other than a wide player in which case he can't be showing much if the likes of Cammy are getting the attacking support slot ahead of him.

Maybe not starting, but as our structure changed in the game I think he’d have been a decent option.

If 3-5-2 is his chosen formation, then why did he make such a big deal about going after a winger with pace? Or have we just fallen into that formation recently?

Anyway, hope every player in the first team squad gets at least 90 mins over the next two games. Chance for the likes of Kyle and Connolly to change some opinions.

59 minutes ago, Yflab said:

This has got all the hallmarks of a top comedy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08wwpyx

On tonight at 9pm on BBC 1 Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54849991

I have a feeling it'll be done in a style more like the bowling club documentary on Chewin the fat rather than Sunderland till I die.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I'm not sure, but I think Tony Fitz has just put a hard backed book down the back of his trousers.

Hoping to bribe the panel with some copies of his autobiography?

Edited by aldo_j

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's an independent committee who hear these cases. The clubs will have made representation to them over the last couple of days, and they'll now have to go away and assess the facts before they make a decision.

It's less obvious that you're sweeping something under the carpet if you wait a couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's less obvious that you're sweeping something under the carpet if you wait a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile another few potential midweeks go by where we could have played Motherwell, unless they made their minds up at the beginning.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
1 hour ago, Killiefan said:
Meanwhile another few potential midweeks go by where we could have played Motherwell, unless they made their minds up at the beginning.

There's still going to be every single UEFA midweek in 2021 available - I think there are 9 of them in total.

Would imagine there’s going to be more postponements in the coming months to squeeze in 

It’s not sounding good for St Mirren in their disciplinary hearing. A Kilmarnock spokesman has said they “haven’t done anything wrong”, however Jim Goodwin saying that St Mirren “don’t believe we have done a great deal wrong.” So not nothing then.

Poor second half and it’s the same problem again.

Really concerned that Goody isn’t a manager that can ever play on the front foot. Will do ok at the likes of Alloa, just just need progressive enough up the levels.

In the main, I think we’ve got a decent enough squad. We just create f**k all and lack any sort of movement. 

Just now, aldo_j said:

Poor second half and it’s the same problem again.

Really concerned that Goody isn’t a manager that can ever play on the front foot. Will do ok at the likes of Alloa, just just need progressive enough up the levels.

In the main, I think we’ve got a decent enough squad. We just create f**k all and lack any sort of movement. 

Sad to say, he's not cut out for it unfortunately. Think we've seen quite extensively that he just doesn't have a clue in terms of an attacking sense. I'm completely convinced a better manager could pull performances out of that squad, which on paper, isn't at all weak.