The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Our youth players weren't available for the Motherwell game because they weren't part of the testing regime, and we only found out about our need to self-isolate on the morning of the game.

We were subsequently able to test them in order for them to be available for the Dunfermline game. They could have been available for the Falkirk game too but we chose to forfeit that because there would have been no first team guys available to play alongside them.

Edited by craigkillie

I’m led to believe that a family member of one of our players tested positive just before he did. Which at least explains one of the cases. 

I think it is inevitable that once it is in the bubble that it can then pass round. However I should say that regarding football clubs the term bubble is at best misleading as it then encompasses every household in the squad. 

I'm not going to lie, I am not unsympathetic towards forfeiture. Heh, maybe that's just because I don't see a 3-0 defeat as a bad result the way our form is just now! :lol:

Seriously though, my biggest concern is that it wouldn't be applied evenly, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider the virus to be key in society for at least another 6 months, even if a vaccine is produced it will take time to filter through society and during that time young, fit and healthy footballers are not likely to be prioritised. With that in mind and with the winter period coming up (where infection rates down to all sorts of reasons will rise) and with a traditionally more packed footballing calendar in December I can see more clubs falling foul of infection/isolation. I believe there is no winter break though, so maybe that will help ease any congestion.

Also it totally benefits the bigger teams - as they will have the larger squads. Whether there is factual basis for this, I cannot be sure because I've not checked every single teams' squad size, but it certainly feels like most of the league are operating on smaller squads than last season - purely down to the financial impact of having no fans in the ground.

From a purely St Mirren point of view, I suppose the more of the squad (if they all return healthy) exposed can only "help" for future infection cases, but that is a very shallow view when a player infected can also mean family and friends of that player also infected, or at the very least exposed.

Fucking moron: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54592850
If it can be found that a player or member of staff has contracted coronavirus because they haven't followed protocol or because players have gone to the pub/Spain/wherever, then by all means punish them by forfeiting the game.
If, however, guidelines and protocol are being followed and the players have contracted the virus through no fault of their own - which could happen to anybody - then you are an utter fuckwit to suggest there should be any sort of penalty or forfeiture. It's not as if we've fielded an ineligible player or couldn't filed a team through a combination of suspensions or injuries. Some of our squad have a highly contagious, potentially deadly virus FFS.
I have no idea how our players got coronavirus and if it's because someone went on a night out then passed it on to their team-mates we should be punished. If they've got it some innocent way then we shouldn't. Same goes for all clubs, not just us.
The only real question I have is how could Kilmarnock get their youth players available for their game the other night while we didn't have ours for Saturday? Is it because they knew a week or so in advance they'd be needing the kids for the first time so were able to do what was necessary for that to happen? Are our under-20s (aside from Jamieson and the ones we've punted back on loan) back in training yet even if they're training and playing among themselves and not involved with the first team? If they're not and other teams have their youths back I can't imagine the SPFL will be too happy unless there's a good reason for it.

I don’t think what Maurice Ross is saying is wrong though. The rules currently, definitely do leave teams with the opportunity to get out of games if they’re savvy enough and not comfortable with the players they have available. I must admit, the late call off left me thinking that this is exactly what we’ve done (and I wouldn’t think less of us doing so)

I still believe, after the league made us play despite having no keepers it should be a blanket rule that all clubs must fulfill fixtures regardless of the circumstances. If that means getting youth players involved in testing then so be it, I understand the cost to this but it’s the only way to ensure the season isn’t turned into a farce (more so than it already is) and that every club is treated exactly the same

32 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I don’t think what Maurice Ross is saying is wrong though.

I do wonder if Ross reads this site (*waves* .. hiya, Maurice! Hiya, pal!) as what he said in that article is pretty much what I posted in here the other day. There is, of course, a world of a difference between online musings and a published piece by a national broadcaster.

4 minutes ago, RussellV1 said:

You’d think the SPFL would have to be provided with some kind of evidence before they would postpone a game

That's what I thought after reading Ross's opinions. Presumably, decisions are being made on the basis of actual testing (and Test & Protect follow-up) - where is the opportunity to game the system? Is it by lying about who the close contacts of positive players have been?

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

I still believe, after the league made us play despite having no keepers it should be a blanket rule that all clubs must fulfill fixtures regardless of the circumstances. If that means getting youth players involved in testing then so be it, I understand the cost to this but it’s the only way to ensure the season isn’t turned into a farce (more so than it already is) and that every club is treated exactly the same

There is a blanket rule, but the blanket rule is that you need to have 13 players available, regardless of position. This is consistent with UEFA's rule for their competitions.

Maurice Ross said a few things about being Motherwell's youth team manager about 2 year ago that were on point and made you think he knew what he was on about. Since then I have read about 3 articles that make me think otherwise.
I hadn't previously paid him any attention in my defence. 

2 hours ago, billyg said:

Hearing it 's an employee's (kit man?) wife who has confirmed Covid. If that's true then the kit man will likely have been in contact with all the players on Saturday !

This wouldn't require players to self-isolate, since it's only if you are directly in contact with someone who has tested positive - ie if the kitman's wife had turned up at training for some reason.

5 hours ago, billyg said:

Hearing it 's an employee's (kit man?) wife who has confirmed Covid. If that's true then the kit man will likely have been in contact with all the players on Saturday !

I wonder if your source is getting a bit confused with what Maurice Ross said.

"We could say the kitman's wife has Covid and we all need to self-isolate until we get all our good players back."

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This wouldn't require players to self-isolate, since it's only if you are directly in contact with someone who has tested positive - ie if the kitman's wife had turned up at training for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I wonder if your source is getting a bit confused with what Maurice Ross said.

"We could say the kitman's wife has Covid and we all need to self-isolate until we get all our good players back."

Ross is talking even more shite then.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Are you starting stories about the kitman’s wife?