The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 hours ago, FTOF said:

"I was at St Mirren and I was playing but me and the manager Tony Fitzpatrick were having a bit of a battle of egos. He had some strange thoughts that I never really agreed with and I knew I had to get out if I was going to get on in the game."

There's a story in there somewhere... 

When Lavety was sold to Hibs, I guess that's when Iwelumo could have been given a run. Mendes was brought in to partner Yardley instead though. McGarry was also  beginning to come onto the scene around then.

12 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Would you be happy to go along to watch what is on offer at the moment ? Think I would miss some games or maybe it's got something to do with soul less games on TV. Have been going on a regular basis since 1967 through the good and bad, the enthusiasm is slowly draining away.  Next few weeks will be telling for Jim. His sparkle has gone watching his interviews replaced with the strain of pressure that's how it looks to me. His comment still rings in my ears, if I'm given time. 

Probably not, but I've sat through many a  previous season, and watched a lot worse.

I've realised during this that what I enjoy about going to see St Mirren is much to do with the matchday experience.

The anticipation on a Saturday morning, meeting up with family for lunch and a pint, the walk up to the ground, the feeling of watching a game in the stadium, the craic..... Whether it's playing Motherwell in the Premiership or Brechin in the 1st Division a lot of the pleasure I get from football is rooted in the things that surround what's going on on the park.

The problem just now is that all of that's gone and football is distilled to 90 minutes sitting in front of a laptop. The result is everything. It's pish! 

I've realised during this that what I enjoy about going to see St Mirren is much to do with the matchday experience.
The anticipation on a Saturday morning, meeting up with family for lunch and a pint, the walk up to the ground, the feeling of watching a game in the stadium, the craic..... Whether it's playing Motherwell in the Premiership or Brechin in the 1st Division a lot of the pleasure I get from football is rooted in the things that surround what's going on on the park.
The problem just now is that all of that's gone and football is distilled to 90 minutes sitting in front of a laptop. The result is everything. It's pish! 

Agree with this. Finding I’m not as bothered about the results one way or another as I would normally be if I was there. There’s definitely a sense of detachment compared to normal times.
Sadly can’t see us getting back in the ground this season.

35 minutes ago, Ric said:

Oh, I don't know, we could in back in time for the relegation playoffs.. ;)

They cant get a cure for the comon cold which is a Covid. I think we will need to live with this for a while yet. Fans should get back into stadiums with some restrictions in place your sitting outside in fresh air.  You can go to a beer garden but not a stadium with restrictions.  You can open a cafe selling meals but not a restaurant.  Its nuts. Sturgeon has been doing well up till now but some new rules I pointed out are wrong. 

2 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

They cant get a cure for the comon cold which is a Covid. I think we will need to live with this for a while yet. Fans should get back into stadiums with some restrictions in place your sitting outside in fresh air.  You can go to a beer garden but not a stadium with restrictions.  You can open a cafe selling meals but not a restaurant.  Its nuts. Sturgeon has been doing well up till now but some new rules I pointed out are wrong. 

Yeah, I was more making the joke that we will be in the playoffs rather than making any great claims of eliminating the virus. ;)

20 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

The common cold can be any one of 200 or so different virus strains across about 9 different families of virus, only one of which is of the coronavirus family, around 10% of common colds are of the coronavirus strain, most are of the rhinovirus.

They can't get a cure for it partly because it's a wide-arching illness of any one of 200 different viruses and partly because it is not deadly and clears up itself in a couple of days, so really doesn't need a vaccine.... it's nothing like the Covid-19 situation which is from one family and is far more likely to have a vaccine targeted to combat it.

5 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

"I was at St Mirren and I was playing but me and the manager Tony Fitzpatrick were having a bit of a battle of egos. He had some strange thoughts that I never really agreed with and I knew I had to get out if I was going to get on in the game."

There's a story in there somewhere... 

When Lavety was sold to Hibs, I guess that's when Iwelumo could have been given a run. Mendes was brought in to partner Yardley instead though. McGarry was also  beginning to come onto the scene around then.

I used to work with a friend of the family and iirc his dad is a surgeon and Chris is a very intelligent guy, so I can imagine how a conversation with Fitzy would go. I also used to work with George Gemmill who was at Saints under Fitzy and some of his stories of playing under Tony were mental.

59 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I used to work with a friend of the family and iirc his dad is a surgeon and Chris is a very intelligent guy, so I can imagine how a conversation with Fitzy would go. I also used to work with George Gemmill who was at Saints under Fitzy and some of his stories of playing under Tony were mental.

Internet / mobile phone technology was in its infancy back in 98. Different kettle of fish moving out there back then compared to today.

For Iwelumo to go out there then, as a 19 year old, and stick it would suggest that he was cut from a different cloth than most. I think he did a degree in journalism after retiring.

14 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Internet / mobile phone technology was in its infancy back in 98. Different kettle of fish moving out there back then compared to today.

For Iwelumo to go out there then, as a 19 year old, and stick it would suggest that he was cut from a different cloth than most. I think he did a degree in journalism after retiring.

He was definitely a sharp guy. He first broke into the team at 16 when I was a ballboy and I used to have a lot of chats with him because he's be in and about the matchday squad but not actually kitted out, so he'd mill about and chat with folk, easy to forget he was just a kid then as well, really.

I remember being delighted for him with his Scotland call up and how gutted I was for him that it was him who missed that chance against Norway, of all the folk who didn't deserve that, it was him given the long, long route he took to get to that level.