The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

That was one of the worst performances I've seen in 40years supporting Saints
1998 losing 5-1 to Airdrie, 1987 losing 6-0 to Hearts are two games that stick in my mind and who can forget shipping 5 at home to Morton in 1999 after TH took over? That's just off the top of my head [emoji23]

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Nathan Sheron shouldn't be in that team again under any circumstances...

Yeah, I think Goodwin is going to have to admit this is one project that isn't going to work. In terms of saving face, if he can pick up a defensive midfielder from the LoI market (which I think we all expect him to dip into for free transfers) allowing him to cut short Sheron's loan on the basis we now have a permanent player as a replacement so he's surplus to requirements rather than he's been sent home because he's just not good enough.

It's a shame, but I'll not lie I had my concerns when he was brought in. A mix of the level he came from, the reports of the fans who saw him play, the experience he has and even his own comments in his first interview set him up as a bit of a headless chicken who is fast spoiler but that's about it.

I guess Goodwin thought he had all the ingredients he needed to mould someone into the role he wanted, but considering it was Gogic he was trying to replicate it's quite clear there was a long journey ahead. He looked like he might have turned the corner in the Aberdeen game, but rather than a gradual improvement it's been one of consistent below averageness.

Checking back on his original announcement, it seems Fleetwood Town have the option to recall him in January, so here's hoping they suddenly have a midfield injury crisis so bad they are desperate for Sheron to return down the road.

Edited by Ric

The first half yesterday was a disaster. We created nothing until McAllister's free-kick and the couple of chances after that. The defending was awful - we were ripped apart for the second goal.

We got better after half-time but couldn't really have got much worse. It was nice a freak goal like McGrath's went in our favour for once. There was a flurry after that but then we did bugger all until the last 5 minutes - and weirdly almost sneaked the win after we got the equaliser. Queens had plenty of chances to bury us at 2-1 and we're lucky they didn't take any of their chances. A few folk saying Durmus looked better than recent games - he did, but he was up against  a 36-year-old reserve team coach who was playing League Two football last season and was initially only registered because of a lack of players. Like DJchappers, I was impressed by Fitzpatrick and am also wondering what Connolly has to do to get a start. He looked far more impressive than McAllister when he came on.

Lots to be concerned about. At the end of July Queens officially had three players signed and a manager still on furlough. That was their second competitive game since the shutdown, they play at a lower level and look a far better side. Meanwhile, our manager doesn't seem to know his best system/formation/line-up.

So here's a question, have people ever walked out of a game because we were so bad? I'm the sort of person that normally stays even if we are playing pish, and will generally wait until the whistle is blown before leaving (...thankfully our 'large crowds' don't necessitate leaving early to avoid a crush!).

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

So here's a question, have people ever walked out of a game because we were so bad? I'm the sort of person that normally stays even if we are playing pish, and will generally wait until the whistle is blown before leaving (...thankfully our 'large crowds' don't necessitate leaving early to avoid a crush!).

Me and 4 others left Firhill when it was 4-0 at HT. In mitigation we watched the 2nd half in The Woodside as the game was on BT Sport.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Me and 4 others left Firhill when it was 4-0 at HT. In mitigation we watched the 2nd half in The Woodside as the game was on BT Sport.

I've only left once, I can think of, and it was before half time! :o

It was a game against Falkirk and we were 3 - 0 down by about 40 minutes. Mind you, I was in a miserable mood, the weather was shit, I'd come on my own and I just couldn't be fucked with it.

I think it ended either 3-0 or 3-1.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Me and my mates left before half time during the infamous 5-0 defeat against The green bigots, when Hearts shat the bed.

Went back to the round table in Corkers and proceeded to get absolutely trousered.

I remember leaving a game early against the **** at Love St. I was in the Main Stand that day with two knuckle draggers sitting next to me abusing me and the team on being a bunch of ****** b*****ds. The stewards did nothing when I reported them nor did the police.

Buddies may complain nowadays about giving the family stand over to the knuckle draggers but years ago they sold every non-season ticket in the Main Stand to them and we had to sit in amongst the sectarian diarrhea that spewed out of them. Never went back to the Main Stand when we played them. Letter of complaint also ignored.

I left a game at Dens Park in the 80's (I think) when we were getting pumped 4 or 5 nil and went back to the bus. St Mirren then pulled back 3 goals so we headed back to the game just in time to see Dundee score their sixth. 

I left early when we got pumped 7-1 at Parkhead under Fitzy. 
Though the ‘best’ was the 7-1 game in Kircaldy, we got stuck in traffic and by the time we were parking up we were 4 down, so we went to a chippie and headed home.

A 0-4 at home to Aberdeen at the beginning of the 90s always sticks in my mind. I remember a guy throwing his scarf in a skip on Love St! It was when Eoin Jess was breaking through for them.

Incidentally, does anyone know the story of Chris Iwelumo with us? Has he ever spoken about it? I remember him scoring as a 17 year old but never became a regular, despite us being poor back then. Considering the career he had, I never got my head round that. He left us to to play in Denmark I think, which was pretty unusual for the mid 90s. An early Bosman maybe?

Edited by Buttocks Brown

21 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

A 0-4 at home to Aberdeen at the beginning of the 90s always sticks in my mind. I remember a guy throwing his scarf in a skip on Love St! It was when Eoin Jess was breaking through for them.

Incidentally, does anyone know the story of Chris Iwelumo with us? Has he ever spoken about it? I remember him scoring as a 17 year old but never became a regular, despite us being poor back then. Considering the career he had, I never got my head round that. He left us to to play in Denmark I think, which was pretty unusual for the mid 90s. An early Bosman maybe?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/8511898/brits-abroad-chris-iwelumo

Patrick Thistle 5-0 St Mirren in 2017 for me.
Immediacy bias definitely a factor but I remember watching a fairly average Thistle side absolutely thump us - 5-0 did us a favour - and thinking this is the worst I’ve ever seen.
The 90’s was a dark decade for us. One of the games that stuck with me is watching Stirling Albion come to Paisley and hump us - I think it was 3-0 - and it not being much of a surprise to anyone.
We’ve certainly came a long way since then.

The 5-1 defeat at home to Airdrie was particularly grim. Fitzpatrick’s last game as manager, I think?

It was the first game I had been at where there was zero applause when the team reappeared after HT.

Would you be happy to go along to watch what is on offer at the moment ? Think I would miss some games or maybe it's got something to do with soul less games on TV. Have been going on a regular basis since 1967 through the good and bad, the enthusiasm is slowly draining away.  Next few weeks will be telling for Jim. His sparkle has gone watching his interviews replaced with the strain of pressure that's how it looks to me. His comment still rings in my ears, if I'm given time.