The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:
13 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:
Pleased with that result today. Didn't watch the game, but coming from two goals down to get a draw implies strength of character. To win on penalties is good, and overall should boost the team's morale. 

That was one of the worst performances I've seen in 40years supporting Saints

Probably wasn't even in the top 20 worst performances I've seen in 35 years supporting saints.

Didn’t see it today. Was this a case of wrong formation again?

Did JG change things up when things weren’t going his way?

I really do hope he can work out the best system for our players by the time we play our next league game

I can probably think of 5 worse performances just fom the league cup group stages over the last few years.

It’s not even the worst performance I’ve seen at Palmerston in the league cup. They put us out in the first round there the year after we won it.
Our fans never cease to amaze me.

Didn’t see it today. Was this a case of wrong formation again?

Did JG change things up when things weren’t going his way?

I really do hope he can work out the best system for our players by the time we play our next league game

Convenient excuse but I felt the pitch played a role, particularly in the first half. We got caught out misreading the odd bounce you get from these surfaces a few times in a way that the Queens players weren’t. Our attacking midfielders - McAllister, McGrath and Durmus - also weren’t getting close enough to Erwin. We to start with a bit of complacency and both their goals were from poor defending.
Second half certainly an improvement. Obika offers more than Erwin IMO and he certainly unsettled there defence. Connelly and Morais both caused problems when they came on.
To go 2-0 down after 12 minutes and not lose the game is certainty a positive.
This group stage seems to throw up strange results every year, we’ve already had Annan 3-1 Accies and Dundee Utd 0-1 Peterhead this season.
It’s all about getting through, we have five points after two games and we are on course to qualify from the group for only the second time in five seasons

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Convenient excuse but I felt the pitch played a role, particularly in the first half. We got caught out misreading the odd bounce you get from these surfaces a few times in a way that the Queens players weren’t. Our attacking midfielders - McAllister, McGrath and Durmus - also weren’t getting close enough to Erwin. We to start with a bit of complacency and both their goals were from poor defending.
Second half certainly an improvement. Obika offers more than Erwin IMO and he certainly unsettled there defence. Connelly and Morais both caused problems when they came on.
To go 2-0 down after 12 minutes and not lose the game is certainty a positive.
This group stage seems to throw up strange results every year, we’ve already had Annan 3-1 Accies and Dundee Utd 0-1 Peterhead this season.
It’s all about getting through, we have five points after two games and we are on course to qualify from the group for only the second time in five seasons

We train on a plastic pitch no excuses for todays plastic pitch. 

Jim better get his act together if there is a other shut down in the coming months the bottom team will replace the top team in the championship. It's quite possible this will happen again. Why Jim does not know his best 11 is worrying, 

There’s no way the season will be called if less than half the games have been played.

3 hours ago, Gosport Buddie said:

That was one of the worst performances I've seen in 40years supporting Saints

Jinkies, you couldn't have seen many performances in those 40 years.

It certainly wasn't pretty but doesn't even rank as one of the worst performances we've had this season!

Definitely not a good performance. The first half was especially tragic. Moments of defending in the second half continue to concern me too.

I said in the summer I wanted us to try and get Aidan Fitzpatrick on loan from Norwich and nothing I saw from him today makes me feel any differently. Compare him to the frankly tragic story developing in front of us every week that is Kyle McAllister and I don't think anyone can deny we'd be far better off down the right with Fitzpatrick in that side. He's some coup for Queens. 

Nathan Sheron shouldn't be in that team again under any circumstances, we have about 12 weeks until the transfer window opens and he should be punted on the first day of the window. He is of Hutton and Carswell levels of hopeless and its certainly not a coincidence that he got hooked at half time and we played better. It's the case any time he isn't in the side. 

Worst performance in X amount of years though?! f**k no. Not even in worst 30 in the last half a dozen years.

3-1 vs Morton at Cappielow in the early days of Jack Ross is still the hands down worst I've seen any St Mirren team play. How we weren't 7 or 8 down in that first half is a major let off.  But folk seem to forget most of the Tommy Craig and Iain Murray eras. The performances at the tail end of Alex Rae. 

Edited by djchapsticks