The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

So Brandon Mason has a slight knock that should be cleared up within a week. Some amount of shit stirring going on at the moment. I just wish the club would improve the PR and clear up all of these daft rumours.

The daft rumours all come from fan(nies) on Social media who know nothing about a situation but take every opportunity to knock the club or push their own agenda. The Club did release a statement about Kyle and got slaughtered. Then it proves to be true, but I do not see anyone apologising. Goodwin gave an interview yesterday about signings -  the day after the transfer window.  But he was slaughtered about his two signings before that.  One person started a  rumour that we are installing a plastic pitch. How can the Club stop rumours before they start? It is up to fans to stop talking nonsense.

It takes time for the Club to read the shite that is posted then effort to denounce the rubbish. The Club can't win.

12 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

The daft rumours all come from fan(nies) on Social media who know nothing about a situation but take every opportunity to knock the club or push their own agenda. The Club did release a statement about Kyle and got slaughtered. Then it proves to be true, but I do not see anyone apologising. Goodwin gave an interview yesterday about signings -  the day after the transfer window.  But he was slaughtered about his two signings before that.  One person started a  rumour that we are installing a plastic pitch. How can the Club stop rumours before they start? It is up to fans to stop talking nonsense.

It takes time for the Club to read the shite that is posted then effort to denounce the rubbish. The Club can't win.

How can you blame fans for picking up offical statements from Coventry FC. I went through school with Ian B. something he is not is a liar. The fact is we have a very poor public relations department at the club. 

14 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Yeah, some real arseholes on Twitter with an axe to grind, yet they suddenly go very quiet when it turns out they were talking shite. They'll be desperate for us to lose tonight so they can get back into it.

9 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

How can you blame fans for picking up offical statements from Coventry FC. I went through school with Ian B. something he is not is a liar. The fact is we have a very poor public relations department at the club. 

But what he’s said on Twitter clearly contradicts what Kyle has said in a subsequent interview. Maybe he’s not a liar, but he clearly didn’t know the full story to be shooting his mouth off.

8 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

But what he’s said on Twitter clearly contradicts what Kyle has said in a subsequent interview. Maybe he’s not a liar, but he clearly didn’t know the full story to be shooting his mouth off.

Cant argue any of that having read the article.  

So the club told the truth, gave him the move he asked for, Kyle has admitted he wanted to go - and from his statement was clear an honest with the club.
The club were perhaps a little petulant in their statement, but given the disappointment I’m willing to forgive that.
Looks like the only people who have actually lied and have come out of this badly are those on the internet purporting to be Kyle’s family.

I would agree with that, the statement never read to me that Magennis was desperate to get away. I read it as he heard about interest from Hibs and then decided he would like to move on. People on twitter have twisted it to interpret it as club claiming Magennis was kicking down doors to force through the move.
It was petulant from the club but that was only because they were compensating for the unnecessary statement released last week. Bids get rejected all the time, we needn’t hear about any transfers until they are confirmed.
I hope to never read a post on the internet demanding the club clarify an unfounded rumour, SMiSA suddenly involve every single member in every club matter or anything of that ilk.

Tensions are high. 6 game losing streak, 4 subs on the bench in the last game and pur captain being sold. Fans are pissed off, the manager and players will be hurting just as much. The club didn't lie or throw Kyle under the bus, it was a bit crass the way it was put.

Then the Coventry article about the new signings injury sent a few over board (myself included).

Jim addressed it, probably a bit bemused by it, we can draw a line under it and move on.

The Aberdeen performance gave us a bit more hope, the players and manager haven't thrown in the towel and neither should we.

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

That being said, if we lose to a Ian McCall team we riot emoji51.png.

Let's be honest, if we don't put at least 5 past them there will be some claiming the world is ending.

While it's annoying we find ourselves in a "must win" category for both of the LC games, when you think about it they were always going to be. I do think we'll win the game, but we've seen from the Annan score the other night that the lower league teams will come out with a point to prove. Not least Thistle as no doubt they will still hold some grudge in the way they were treated at the end of last season.

Let's be honest, if we don't put at least 5 past them there will be some claiming the world is ending.
While it's annoying we find ourselves in a "must win" category for both of the LC games, when you think about it they were always going to be. I do think we'll win the game, but we've seen from the Annan score the other night that the lower league teams will come out with a point to prove. Not least Thistle as no doubt they will still hold some grudge in the way they were treated at the end of last season.
Oh aye, definitely. I'd probably take a scrappy 1-0 win just to stop the rot. Knowing McCall he will come to Paisley and have a go.

The pressure is on us in this group, we have the huge match fitness advantage. In normal circumstances this would have been a tricky group.

Still rubbing my eyes at that Annan score, 3rd time they have beat Accies in the last few years too.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Still rubbing my eyes at that Annan score, 3rd time they have beat Accies in the last few years too.

Out of chance I caught Rice's pre-match interview. While you'd hardly expect him to say, "aye, well, we'll be looking to ship 3 goals in the first half and see where it goes from there", his comments were definitely along the lines of "we should be taking the game to them" and "we know they've been a bogey team for us in the past but that was under a different manager and I'm here to put that record straight". :lol:

Still, it's nice to have a sobering scoreline like that so Goodwin has something to point to when warning of a potential banana skin. While it _shouldn't_ matter, it's also good to see both Morton and QoS draw last night.

I was going to take a break from the streamed games for a bit but I've been reeled right back in now.

Finlayson straight in to replace McCarthy, do we reckon, or maybe something similar to last Friday, with Tait, Fraser and Shaughnessy in a three? Rest of the team the same. That's probably what I'd go with.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Finlayson straight in to replace McCarthy, do we reckon, or maybe something similar to last Friday, with Tait, Fraser and Shaughnessy in a three? Rest of the team the same. That's probably what I'd go with.

I thought Finlayson was part of the U21 setup but it seems that he wasn't listed in the team that played last night, so perhaps he could just fill in for McCarthy. You would hope that a Thistle team playing their first competitive game in 7 months or so shouldn't pose too much of a problem but as sn1f and I have been discussing, Annan showed that might not be such a good attitude to take.

Mind you, if we are to give him and Mason (when fit) game time, then surely the opening rounds of the LC is the ideal time to do so.

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

So the club told the truth, gave him the move he asked for, Kyle has admitted he wanted to go - and from his statement was clear an honest with the club.

The club were perhaps a little petulant in their statement, but given the disappointment I’m willing to forgive that.

Looks like the only people who have actually lied and have come out of this badly are those on the internet purporting to be Kyle’s family.

Aye, they were petulant and yes, that's even to be expected. To be honest given his history of injuries I'd say we've definitely done the right thing.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

I don't post on BAWA anymore because some of the 'fans' there are so bitter and twisted. Aye, the club's not run perfectly, but the board have the its interest at heart...unlike some of their detractors who, it seems, constantly seek to undermine them and sow division and distrust.