The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Poor start to the season for you guys - too small a club to sign enough goalkeepers to cover an injury crisis, best LB in years has been a Kilmarnock 4th choice - lost him and replaced him with an injured player.  Sold your captain to a fellow yo-yo club.

Top 4 looking good for the Paisley Pandas

5 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Poor start to the season for you guys - too small a club to sign enough goalkeepers to cover an injury crisis, best LB in years has been a Kilmarnock 4th choice - lost him and replaced him with an injured player.  Sold your captain to a fellow yo-yo club.

Sort yourself out with some decent patter.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Which is what I was initially referring to, but as @Ranaldo Bairn points out, the farmer also suffered this fate.

Aye, but we gave our failed loanee about 2 months and a couple of appearances before writing him off.

46 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

What part of my statement is incorrect? 

The bit about the injury crisis: two goalkeepers were fit and healthy. If we'd had ten goalies all training together, the situation would likely have remained the same.

The bit about Waters being our best left back for years: he was fucking gash. Mateo Muzek was better.

The bit about us replacing Waters with an injured player: we replaced him with Richard Tait.

The bit about us finishing in the top four: we're obviously not going to.

Aside from those bits, you did very well. Nice one m8.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

EPfxC7pUwAEAHVw.jpg

I think a lot of 'fans' need to take a step back and calm down. We don't need to know EVERYTHING.

Too many people are ready to jump on anything and everything the club announces. The young lad on loan from Rangers is another example - Looks like a decent signing on paper and possibly one for the future yet when you look online you see a good number of fans claiming it's a disgrace we got rid of Baird for an old firm youth and questioning why we can't blood our own.

We quite obviously were not going to sign a player that was going to be injured for a significant period of his loan term. Especially when it's a player in a position that we desperately need filled. We'd have done our basic due diligence on the guy.

15 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

I think a lot of 'fans' need to take a step back and calm down. We don't need to know EVERYTHING.

Too many people are ready to jump on anything and everything the club announces. The young lad on loan from Rangers is another example - Looks like a decent signing on paper and possibly one for the future yet when you look online you see a good number of fans claiming it's a disgrace we got rid of Baird for an old firm youth and questioning why we can't blood our own.

We quite obviously were not going to sign a player that was going to be injured for a significant period of his loan term. Especially when it's a player in a position that we desperately need filled. We'd have done our basic due diligence on the guy.

Agree with what you say , however the romour came directly from the Coventry manager. Unfortunately no story was followed up to say. The injury is not as bad as first feared.  Remember the Coventry manager said a scan was done. A medical expert said he would be out for 6 to 8 weeks. A medical expert.  Something does not add up. 

17 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Spot on. We’ve got people threatening to hand back season tickets, etc. The LB looks a decent signing on paper and, given Tait said he can play anywhere across the back, immediately strengthens that area.

I can see at least another one coming in by the time we get to the next league game, plus, reading between the lines on previous Goodwin comments, I’d expect a Irish League signing in Jan.

It’s looked worse because of injuries.

For all of those pishing themselves here is an interview with Goody on NOTTHEOLDFIRM website .....

St Mirren manager Jim Goodwin is delighted with the signings of Rangers talent Daniel Finlayson and Coventry City left-back Brandon Mason.

The Buddies made two moves on the final day of the transfer window, first signing defender Finlayson on a season-long loan deal with an option to buy from Rangers. Next it was Mason, the left-back joining on a season-long loan from Coventry City.

Goodwin has explained the motives behind these signings, dismissing reports that Mason could miss between 6-8 weeks of action with knee ligament damage.

“Daniel Finlayson is an upcoming centre-half who’s had really good development at Rangers and in the USL in America with Orange League County,” said Goodwin.

“It’s a good standard below the MLS and he’s been playing every week over there. The guys in our academy are doing great work in bringing quality players through. I feel at the moment we are lacking in that defensive part.

“We don’t have anybody to bridge the gap between the academy and the first-team at centre-back or full-back. I feel Daniel is a good one to do that. Rangers have been good enough to allow us to have a closer look at him, see how he is training with the first-team.

“Brandon Mason is one we’ve been looking to try and get done for a little while. With the sale of Kyle Magennis going through a couple of days ago, that’s allowed me some funds to get this done.

“Brandon’s a good, young, attacking left-back, he ticks a lot of boxes. He’s had great experience down at Coventry and being part of a very successful team last season. There was a lot of things flying about on social media I believe and I think a few directors were nervous about the situation off the back of what was being said. But we do our due diligence on every player we bring in and their medical records.

“The last thing we would do is sign a player who’s out long-term, that wouldn’t make any sense. The facts are that Brandon picked up a slight knock on his knee in training and he’s about a week away from full fitness.

“People were saying he’s not going to be available until January, it’s nonsense, people starting rumours without any facts on the matter. We’ve got a really good deal in place, Coventry have been very fair, we won’t pay for Brandon until he comes to the club which will hopefully be next week.”

More arrivals?

The transfer window may be closed but Goodwin isn’t ruling out potential additions to his squad. St Mirren’s manager says the free agency market will be looked at in the near future.

“The board have been very supportive of me in my time here,” said Goodwin. “They gave me what the club could afford and for the last couple of weeks things have been tight. We’d have liked to have got another one or two players in earlier than what we have done.

“This Kyle Magennis money has allowed us to bring in Finlayson, Mason and hopefully, one or two others. There is a free agent market out there at the moment. Over the next seven-10 days we’ll take our time and look over that market.

“Hopefully we’ll come up with one or two names over the line. There’s funds still available to me.”

Edited by NorthBank

23 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Spot on. We’ve got people threatening to hand back season tickets, etc. The LB looks a decent signing on paper and, given Tait said he can play anywhere across the back, immediately strengthens that area.

I can see at least another one coming in by the time we get to the next league game, plus, reading between the lines on previous Goodwin comments, I’d expect a Irish League signing in Jan.

It’s looked worse because of injuries.

Besides the 11 who played well on Fri night we also have Connolly, Tait, Flynn, Dennis, Foley, Durmus, McAllister, Jamieson, Mason and Finlayson. And Goody is looking at bringing in more. That is a large squad.