The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 03/10/2020 at 10:55, geo87 said:

I’m not going to pretend I know the ins and outs, again playing devils advocate here, the last “long term”‘contract we handed out was Kyle mcallister (which I’m sure 99% of saints fans were delighted with that the time - me included) . However, I’m sure he would have been away in the summer if we could have, instead we are stuck with him for another 2 seasons as it’s unlikely he’ll ever be fit enough again to compliment his ability.

Personally I would have given given Magennis a 4 year contract, but maybe he was wanting a high wage / no relegation clause etc we don’t know. Maybe the club have doubts over his fitness? He was in a position of power to negotiate so who knows what he was asking for within that 4 year deal.

“The club had been working for over a year on a new deal for Kyle and offered him a new four-year deal on improved terms, however, it became increasingly clear that Kyle saw his future away from St Mirren”

🤷🏻‍♂️

Statement a bit of an eye opener...however couple of folk saying parts of it are just untrue

Fair play to Kyle, a decent move and a 5 year deal is incredible for a guy with his injury record, I would certainly have questioned our board giving him a large 4 year deal for that reason.

12 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

“The club had been working for over a year on a new deal for Kyle and offered him a new four-year deal on improved terms, however, it became increasingly clear that Kyle saw his future away from St Mirren”

🤷🏻‍♂️

Kyle's family on Twitter saying our club are telling lies. 

That's a wanky statement, tbh. They fucked up their media management last week, and they've compounded it with this.

St Mirren not covering themselves with glory either on or off the park at the minute.

That five-year contract is interesting, though, especially if there's a sell-on clause: if he pulls up trees in his first two seasons, there's no reason to suggest he won't attract interest from down south from clubs keen to find the next McGinn.

Poor statement by Saints hierarchy there to match the ridiculous furore already caused by this. Should have wished him well, thanked him and moved on. Good move for Magennis if he did want to move to Hibs then who can blame him, no need to throw him under the bus like that. Paul McGinn would have been in the same boat in January.
We’ve got a transfer fee for a player who became a star while out injured and would’ve likely moved on next summer or January anyway. Hopefully some of the money can be put towards strengthening the defence & the rest put towards making up for the shortfall of no crowds this season.

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That five-year contract is interesting, though, especially if there's a sell-on clause

I would be really surprised if there wasnt.

Its really the only way Hibs can afford to buy young Scottish talent and if he shines and moves on then we all benefit.

p.s. In a related vein, Buddies and Hibs fans knew that John McGinn was a player, I always enjoy reposting this just for the shits and giggles.........

7 minutes ago, Green Day said:

I would be really surprised if there wasnt.

Its really the only way Hibs can afford to buy young Scottish talent and if he shines and moves on then we all benefit.

p.s. In a related vein, Buddies and Hibs fans knew that John McGinn was a player, I always enjoy reposting this just for the shits and giggles.........

Yeah, agreed. No doubt you're in a better position to command bigger fees for players. That McGinn sale was our biggest ever transfer fee. I'm 100% comfortable with the arrangement, at least until we actually get our fucking act together as a football club.

And yes, Tom English is ridiculous. I wonder if he was watching last night.