The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

19 year old Rangers centre back inbound apparently. Must be cover for emergencies I’d guess.

Be still my beating heart. <_<

I live in hope that we might sign someone who will actually be a first pick and will improve the team.

Been saying for ages the only defender we could bring in would have to be an old journeyman or a young kid, because of the lack of opportunities. Weirdly, there would already have been plenty of chances for a back-up defender and I assume there will be many more.

I hope he's better than Baird or there'll be hell on.

Definitely need numbers at the back. 

As for Kyle, he seems to become a better player the longer he doesn’t play. Would I rather he stayed... probably, but if we get a reasonable fee then I’m struggling to get too upset. 

We had an important game to plan for so I can understand why Goodwin wasn’t intimately involved in the decision making, ultimately it is a balance between whether the player wants to go and whether the club have got maximum possible value. 

20 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I tweeted the club this afternoon to ask if the League Cup games were on the virtual ST or PPV.

Typically, they haven't answered.

Unsure if serious?

Well, it is a Sunday. Unfortunately we haven’t reached the scale to have 24/7 social media coverage, it’s just one bloke.

2 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Unsure if serious?

Well, it is a Sunday. Unfortunately we haven’t reached the scale to have 24/7 social media coverage, it’s just one bloke.

They tweeted at 2.30 this afternoon.

I tweeted about an hour and a quarter later. I'll let you all know if or when I get a reply.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

They tweeted at 2.30 this afternoon.

I tweeted about an hour and a quarter later. I'll let you all know if or when I get a reply.

Don’t use Twitter much, but pretty sure you can schedule tweets.

17 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

So the captain out and being replaced with a back up young CB from Rangers. The St Mirren way.  Does our academy not have any of these lol

It's an extremely good point. I find it hard to believe the under-18s/20s/reserves/whatever it's called these days doesn't have at least one young defender we could have stuck on the bench on Friday night (although Goodwin was probably making a statement with that one). I'm not aware of any of them having been loaned out - what happened to the Nick McAllister lad who played a few league cup games last season?

Goodwin can moan about the board all he wants, and he is justified with some things, however he is as much to blame as anybody for the lack of defensive cover. Most of us were worried about defensive options for a while and then Baird - who is far from fantastic but would have been decent backup - left and hasn't been replaced. Goodwin talked up a lot of the young boys promoted to the first team squad over the summer and has now loaned all but one out. We could have kept one and then signed a defender instead of bringing in Erwin or Connolly (only singling them out as they were the most recent signings, not because of their ability).

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's an extremely good point. I find it hard to believe the under-18s/20s/reserves/whatever it's called these days doesn't have at least one young defender we could have stuck on the bench on Friday night (although Goodwin was probably making a statement with that one). I'm not aware of any of them having been loaned out - what happened to the Nick McAllister lad who played a few league cup games last season?

Goodwin can moan about the board all he wants, and he is justified with some things, however he is as much to blame as anybody for the lack of defensive cover. Most of us were worried about defensive options for a while and then Baird - who is far from fantastic but would have been decent backup - left and hasn't been replaced. Goodwin talked up a lot of the young boys promoted to the first team squad over the summer and has now loaned all but one out. We could have kept one and then signed a defender instead of bringing in Erwin or Connolly (only singling them out as they were the most recent signings, not because of their ability).

The problem on Fri is the same problem KIllie had - the Academy players are not playing regularly so are not tested for Covid. So we could not bring any of them in on Fri night.

And Daniel Finlayson  is 6ft 3 and a regular with the NI Under 19 team. I do not think we have anyone with that stature or pedigree in our Academy. I hope we continue to play with a back three after Fri night which also means less demand for another defender although we need one for emergencies. However the young guy looks like he can help out without costing us much (if anything).

Edited by NorthBank

10 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Twitter romour Kibble to propose plastic pitch which would have to go before SMISA members for a vote. Cant see this being voted through. If it did my days of going along to the football when fans return will be finished.  

This 'rumour' is being suggested by one person without providing any insight to where the 'rumour' came from.

Edited by NorthBank

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

This 'rumour' is being suggested by one person without providing any insight to where the 'rumour' came from.

Would not be surprised if it'ss true when you look at the savings to be had by going plastic. At least it will have to go to a  SMISA vote if true that's our safety net. 

24 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Would not be surprised if it'ss true when you look at the savings to be had by going plastic. At least it will have to go to a  SMISA vote if true that's our safety net. 

Maybe there is some credence however when one supporter says 'I heard from someone else' then I'll treat it as bullshit until a reliable source is identified.  Flarey Bob anyone?

Edited by NorthBank

37 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Twitter romour Kibble to propose plastic pitch which would have to go before SMISA members for a vote. Cant see this being voted through. If it did my days of going along to the football when fans return will be finished.  

Screenshot_20201005-145022_Gallery.jpg