The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

What the actual f**k are the club playing at with this Magennis transfer. They put out a tweet saying that they’ve rejected two bids from Hibs and state that he’s not for sale, now we find out he’s having a medical.

Shambles, they can f**k off with this one it’s a step too far for me.

It's called negotiating. We clearly wanted more money for him, and looks like we've got it. He would've gone anyway, as apparently refused a new contract with us.

Pig sick tonight. Watched it on Alba and we were good for the first hour. Played without fear, pressed them high, controlled the game in spells - albeit without posing a great deal of threat. 

However, not long after we scored you could see us sinking deeper, they got fresh legs on and the inevitable happened. You just knew it was coming.

MacPherson and Erhahon, I thought, were very good - and there absolutely no lack of effort throughout the team - but that meant we were dead on our feet after about 70 minutes and that's what cost us. Three outfield players on the bench is a joke, and Goodwin not using them - even just to waste time - is another joke.

Let's not pretend Erhahon's wonder goal didn't paper over the cracks, either. We barely had a shot on goal and Erwin and Obika did most of their work 30 yards from goal.

We're an absolute mess on all fronts, and I honestly don't see an easy way out of this.

Just now, Ralstonite said:

It's called negotiating. We clearly wanted more money for him, and looks like we've got it. He would've gone anyway, as apparently refused a new contract with us.

If it's more than we would get at the end of the season fair enough.  Sounds like Goodwin has not been backed  as he wanted to keep Kyle.  We should change our name to Aldi Saints. 

Just now, ZingaliMan said:

If it's more than we would get at the end of the season fair enough.  Sounds like Goodwin has not been backed  as he wanted to keep Kyle.  We should change our name to Aldi Saints. 

6 minutes ago, BC17 said:

Pig sick tonight. Watched it on Alba and we were good for the first hour. Played without fear, pressed them high, controlled the game in spells - albeit without posing a great deal of threat. 

However, not long after we scored you could see us sinking deeper, they got fresh legs on and the inevitable happened. You just knew it was coming.

MacPherson and Erhahon, I thought, were very good - and there absolutely no lack of effort throughout the team - but that meant we were dead on our feet after about 70 minutes and that's what cost us. Three outfield players on the bench is a joke, and Goodwin not using them - even just to waste time - is another joke.

Let's not pretend Erhahon's wonder goal didn't paper over the cracks, either. We barely had a shot on goal and Erwin and Obika did most of their work 30 yards from goal.

We're an absolute mess on all fronts, and I honestly don't see an easy way out of this.

More pressing matters unfortunately. 

I'm more concerned with the club's existential survival, rather than retaining our Premiership status. These aren't normal times, fans need to unite behind the club, not talk of asking SMISA for a refund.

7 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Agreed on this point, its clearly what happened.

What seems a wee bit odd though is how Goodwin feels about this - he seems to have been asked to deliver the message a few days ago that "The captain isnt up for sale" etc etc............and then last night is rightly pissed off about what has ultimately happened.

If he feels that the board in some way played him, then that doesnt bode well for team/management unity.

I have to say I thought this deal was dead, but how it has finally emerged is all a bit strange.

Apparently Kyle wanted a 4 year deal which we weren’t prepared to give him due to his recent injury which is totally understandable (& unrealistic on his part).

I refuse to believe we have let him go for less / the same money as we would have received for him leaving on a PCA as has been alluded to on here. I think he has massive potential and would have loved to have kept him, but is ( albeit grudgingly) probably the wise choice under the circumstances.

The lower leagues and national league are still a shambles down south so I think we will still have an opportunity to bring in a few players before the window. Goodwins recruitment has been ok up until now (it looked at in isolation of performances / tactics), let’s hope he has some targets lined up and the board back him accordingly.

He clearly hasn’t lost the dressing room based on last nights performance, he’s a smart guy and would like to think he’s learning from his mistakes (I’ll be the first to admit there’s been several this season including last night). I think we need to work with this for at least another 4-8 games for him to get things right.

Playing devils advocate here, Goodwins statement suggests he’s been shafted, I have it on good authority Kearney was shafted, and stubbs has always said the goalposts moved after he got the job, do we have a board who have a habit of saying one thing and doing another !?

3 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Apparently Kyle wanted a 4 year deal which we weren’t prepared to give him due to his recent injury which is totally understandable (& unrealistic on his part).

I refuse to believe we have let him go for less / the same money as we would have received for him leaving on a PCA as has been alluded to on here. I think he has massive potential and would have loved to have kept him, but is ( albeit grudgingly) probably the wise choice under the circumstances.

The lower leagues and national league are still a shambles down south so I think we will still have an opportunity to bring in a few players before the window. Goodwins recruitment has been ok up until now (it looked at in isolation of performances / tactics), let’s hope he has some targets lined up and the board back him accordingly.

He clearly hasn’t lost the dressing room based on last nights performance, he’s a smart guy and would like to think he’s learning from his mistakes (I’ll be the first to admit there’s been several this season including last night). I think we need to work with this for at least another 4-8 games for him to get things right.

Playing devils advocate here, Goodwins statement suggests he’s been shafted, I have it on good authority Kearney was shafted, and stubbs has always said the goalposts moved after he got the job, do we have a board who have a habit of saying one thing and doing another !?

Here you. Stop posting sensible and reasoned posts.:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

2 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

Never in a million years did Magennis request a 4 year deal. That is just utter nonsense.

As much nonsense as us accepting a £100K bid.

But people are falling over themselves to believe that.

Edited by FTOF

54 minutes ago, geo87 said:

This is why all Saints fans should back SMISA. The sooner we have fan ownership and a board that is accountable to the fans, the better.

46 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I am very rarely in the know but again have no reason to doubt where I’ve heard this from

If our club captain and top prospect (in the eyes of some) wanted a a 4 year deal the club would’ve thrown it at him immediately. 

Magennis tied down for 4 years would be fantastic business from a boardroom point of view. His value due to contract length would increase double maybe more. Why wouldn’t the board agree to that? 

Kyle was never signing a new deal. Simple as that. 

59 minutes ago, FTOF said:

As much nonsense as us accepting a £100K bid.

But people are falling over themselves to believe that.

tbf its being widely reported youve accepted £200k.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

tbf its being widely reported youve accepted £200k.

Where’s it been reported? I’ve not seen a number quoted in any news reports. I’ve seen £200k listed next to the lad from Crewe they were linked with.

£200k would surprise me given what we’d make from compensation at the end of the season. Although the relative silence from the board in recent weeks, and from SMISA is starting to concern me. We’ve got some ‘nice’ people in SMISA, but do we have any leaders? I’m not so sure.

If we had sold Magennis during the week I would have been disappointed but accepted it. However for the club to come out and tell the press OUR CAPTAIN IS NOT FOR SALE.  Then go behind our managers back and sell Magennis without our manager knowing is not disappointing its fuckin scandalous.  Dont expect to be fed all details from the boardroom by SMISA  but your not a zilch.   Have followed Saints more than 50 years have been to most grounds in Scotland, followed us into England and Europe never have I thought of giving up supporting the club until now. My anger over this is getting the better of me. If the club need a cash injection I'm sure some sort of negotiation could have been put to SMISA  members.  I'm surprised Goodwin has not resigned over this going behind the managers back is unacceptable.