The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

He also refers to Dylan Connolly not being available - he mentions it as if it's already been a thing, and not just brand new information. I wonder if he's either lacking fitness or carrying a knock as well.

This passage made me smile, though - he includes the out-of-form Sam Foley as a 'missing' player. Which, to be fair, he has been. At least know Goodwin is seeing what we're seeing, to some extent.

image.png.21bbefe6a1977032ece83eaff430b726.png

I believe Connolly missed pre-season work so is still catching up. However McAllister has been unfit most of his career and still gets a start so there should be no difference in selection criteria.

We should play Connolly from the off and replace him when he tires. Maybe then we can by then be defending a 1 goal lead instead of bringing him on with 10 mins to go and chasing a deficit.

10 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

No harm to Killie and wish their players a speedy recovery. There is a meeting just now to see if their game goes ahead.  Our club was told you have 11 fit players the game goes on. That's not too difficult to understand.  

Their entire squad has been told yo self isolate for 14 days. Tonight's game is off, they also have 2 League Cup games within that period.

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Their entire squad has been told yo self isolate for 14 days. Tonight's game is off, they also have 2 League Cup games within that period.

Then play youths.

I agree that the game *should* be off but unfortunately that is the precedent that was set 3 weeks ago.

That is now 4 teams that have had a covid related incident this season....3 of said 4 have had games postponed and the other - us-  were forced to play, without a keeper if need be.

I'd like to see the club come out and actually question the decision making process in play here but undoubtedly, we'll say nothing and roll over as per.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Then play youths.

I agree that the game *should* be off but unfortunately that is the precedent that was set 3 weeks ago.

That is now 4 teams that have had a covid related incident this season....3 of said 4 have had games postponed and the other - us-  were forced to play, without a keeper if need be.

I'd like to see the club come out and actually question the decision making process in play here but undoubtedly, we'll say nothing and roll over as per.

Why was our squad not told to isolate.  Total bullshit. 

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I'm assuming the goalkeepers trained separately/didn't come into contact with the squad.

I can see why some Saints fans are pissed off but it's a different scenario imo.

Sorry dont agree do you think players dont mix even close chatting. 

11 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

When the green pound comes a-knockin’, there’s very few who can resist its allure.

FFS. I've no issue with the boy going. I've no issue with Jack Ross trying to get him. I've no issue with us knocking offers back. I've no issue with Hibs.

BUT: we knocked offers back, then spent the week giving interviews saying how it was the right decision and he was integral to our squad and he was the missing bit for this season... and THEN we sell him. That's fucking rank, TBH.

7 minutes ago, Zing. said:

One of the St Mirren posters on here said it was happening and called it a few weeks back. Interested to see how he does, JR clearly rates him. 

He's a good player. A wee bit underrated to be honest. Can see him doing well at Hibs, and Ross really likes him. He broke into the team under Ross and has been an ever present (when fit). 

The main worries are the injuries. He's had a lot for a player that young.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Then play youths.

Off the top of my head, Hamilton, Motherwell and Hibs have all had to play matches without players who have either tested positive or been forced to self-isolate. There is a very obvious difference between a handful of players (three in your case) and the entire squad.

Edited by craigkillie

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Off the top of my head, Hamilton, Motherwell and Hibs have all had to play matches without players who have either tested positive or been forced to self-isolate. There is a very obvious difference between a handful of players (three in your case) and the entire squad.

There is also actually quite a big difference between a "handful of players" being out and every goalkeeper at the club being out.

I'm disappointed Magennis has gone as he's probably our best midfielder. That said we've got Foley, also Macpherson and Erhahon who are both good and getting better, McGrath has looked good at times this year too and we've got Flynn to come back. That's 5 players who can play centre mid and we've got Durmus, McAllister, Connolly who can all play out wide. 

Maybe we can use some of the money to bring in another defender as that's where we're really light on numbers. 

Sorry dont agree do you think players dont mix even close chatting. 
I don't have a clue how the clubs protocols work but I'd imagine players wouldn't be allowed to mingle with each other when its avoidable. I have heard some if not all are washing their own kits, bringing in their own food ect.

I do wonder how many youth players Killie have though and if they have been training with the first team.

I'm disappointed Magennis has gone as he's probably our best midfielder. That said we've got Foley, also Macpherson and Erhahon who are both good and getting better, McGrath has looked good at times this year too and we've got Flynn to come back. That's 5 players who can play centre mid and we've got Durmus, McAllister, Connolly who can all play out wide. 
Maybe we can use some of the money to bring in another defender as that's where we're really light on numbers. 
Unfortunately wide right has been one of our many problem positions with players being off form. Having Magennis back could have solved that issue.

I don't have a clue how the clubs protocols work but I'd imagine players wouldn't be allowed to mingle with each other when its avoidable. I have heard some if not all are washing their own kits, bringing in their own food ect.

I do wonder how many youth players Killie have though and if they have been training with the first team.

We have a full academy squad but it's not clear if they were subject to the same level of testing that is required for the first team.