The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

23 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Surely we've got to be looking at defensive cover this moving players from midfield into defence week in week out due to suspensions or whatever is a mess. Nearly first round of game done and we're still in the same postion as last season with defenders

Guessing we cant with no income coming in from match day's. Is ppv bringing in much dosh ?  Most guy's I know get games for free. It's one of the wee niggles I have with SMISA , do we have one or two guy's on the board but you dont get any info on the situation.  Gordon Scott has dried up also. 

Can't say I'd be too bothered if Magennis went. Good player, but far too injury prone at such a young age and he's hardly in the bracket of McGinn, McLean, Mallan or Morgan.

I'd like to keep him, but if we get a decent off then we should 100% take it.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

4 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Can't say I'd be too bothered if Magennis went. Good player, but far too injury prone at such a young age and he's hardly in the bracket of McGinn, McLean, Mallan or Morgan.

I'd like to keep him, but if we get a decent off then we should 100% take it.

According to the tabloids,  it looks like Hibs have turned their attention to Allan Campbell of Motherwell. 

14 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Same source has just confirmed it's defo happening to Hibs, and will be either now or January. 

Hmmm, might be shite but I have just heard is that Hibs have "moved on" from this one.

The story is - on enquiring, Hibs were quoted a price, they met it and it was knocked back........they then upped it and it was - via that tweet - knocked back again.

Its not the refusal of the bid thats the issue, but taking it public which has irked Hibs.

Like I said - its the silly season, so who knows?

Hmmm, might be shite but I have just heard is that Hibs have "moved on" from this one.
The story is - on enquiring, Hibs were quoted a price, they met it and it was knocked back........they then upped it and it was - via that tweet - knocked back again.
Its not the refusal of the bid thats the issue, but taking it public which has irked Hibs.
Like I said - its the silly season, so who knows?

I don’t agree with going public over the bid and not sure what the motive really is. I’m pretty sure he’ll be a Hibs player by the end of the window. However, that is nonsense as it was widely reported by many people that a bid had been rejected, Hibs will have known well before that tweet. As for quoting a price then rejecting a bid in excess of that, certainly is silly season with that post.

3 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I don’t agree with going public over the bid and not sure what the motive really is

Seems pretty clear that the motive is to PR your fans "we did all we could, rejected a number of  bids til one arrived that we and the player felt we could take".

Still dont think he will be at Hibs, but might be wrong.

17 minutes ago, monthelie' said:

Ex St.mirren player comes on as a sub tonight in champions league qualifier, turns the game, and will now be playing against the elite. I thought he looked ok for us, not champions league though. Anders Dreyer anyone?

Probably falls into the Aaron Mooy category,  looked ok but I don't think many were that fussed when either left.

15 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Probably falls into the Aaron Mooy category,  looked ok but I don't think many were that fussed when either left.

Dreyer split fans. Some saw him as being involved in a lot of goals when he played, others didn’t think he ran about enough. It’s the typical Scottish fan split...

24 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Dreyer split fans. Some saw him as being involved in a lot of goals when he played, others didn’t think he ran about enough. It’s the typical Scottish fan split...

Just like most Saints fans dont care whether Magennis stays or goes a bit blind to the lads talents.  Which they wont realise until he is gone. A bit like quite a few players who have left the nursery club known as St Mirren. 

7 hours ago, monthelie' said:

Ex St.mirren player comes on as a sub tonight in champions league qualifier, turns the game, and will now be playing against the elite. I thought he looked ok for us, not champions league though. Anders Dreyer anyone?

Brilliant wee player. Was always looking for that killer pass or opening. Think he contributed something like 5 assists in 9 games and was involved in the build up of many more.

He got a bit of stick from some sections as he 'didn't do enough' (by that he didn't run about like a headless chicken and beat 5 men every time he had the ball) but even as a 20 year old kid, you could see he had something about him.

27 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Brilliant wee player. Was always looking for that killer pass or opening. Think he contributed something like 5 assists in 9 games and was involved in the build up of many more.

He got a bit of stick from some sections as he 'didn't do enough' (by that he didn't run about like a headless chicken and beat 5 men every time he had the ball) but even as a 20 year old kid, you could see he had something about him.

Yip, was probably too intelligent a player for the rest of his team mates. Would always try things that no one else around him expected. 

assisted both goals in the 2 1 win against Dundee at SMP after us going a goal down within 20 seconds and still he didn’t do enough on the day according to the majority on BAWA 

8 hours ago, aldo_j said:

We could definitely do with a player like him just now. Knew how to create a chance or two.

He was great for picking up the ball and driving into dangerous areas with it. Defences at this level really struggle with that. I'd say the closest we have right now is Flynn, though he's not quite the same. McGrath should be doing it but maybe hasn't got the right movement around him to give him options/create space.

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He was great for picking up the ball and driving into dangerous areas with it. Defences at this level really struggle with that. I'd say the closest we have right now is Flynn, though he's not quite the same. McGrath should be doing it but maybe hasn't got the right movement around him to give him options/create space.

McGrath has no-one to work with. Foley and Erhahon sit too deep and the wide players are too wide and deep. We are set up for defence unfortunately.

I know statistics tend to skew things slightly but McGrath is one of the most fouled players in the league (i think he's 7th in the listings) with over 90% of them in the final third. so, it shows he's at least getting into dangerous areas and drawing fouls to get us up the park.

NB is right though, nobody ever gets near him which isolates him and is counterproductive to his playing style. 

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Goodwin in PDE today saying that we're trying to get some defensive cover in before the deadline on Monday.

And he’s going to be more attacking. At least he’s taken a bit of responsibility for performances.