The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Anybody who’s followed my posts on here down the years knows that I’ve got more time than most for Paisley St Mirren Football Club.

However, if they stand in the way of young Kyle McGinn’s career by blocking a move to the capital’s sole top flight club - and denying him the chance to link up with his brothers and follow in the footsteps of John - they have crossed a line of no return.

The sacred St Murnian alliance hangs in the balance here. Do what’s right, Tony.

He'll very likely be gone.

It's weird even announcing that, almost like trying to brace the support.

I like Magennis but he's got less than a year left on his contract and he suffered badly last season....dunno if it was weight of captaincy, from Goodwin not playing him in the correct manner or both.

He's a talented lad but he's not shown it consistently enough for me and has had 2 or 3 pretty bad injuries so far. I reckon we'll sell.  

10 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Hibs shouldn’t be able to afford Kyle let’s not repeat Kenny mcclean all over again.

Also how have we let Kyle get down to 1 year left on his contract shambles.

He’s a talent don’t get me wrong but he’s injured more often than not and I’m not really convinced he’s got any more improving to do. A good standard Premiership player but I don’t think we’ll rue the day Kyle Magennis left us for someone else.

4 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Anybody who’s followed my posts on here down the years knows that I’ve got more time than most for Paisley St Mirren Football Club.

However, if they stand in the way of young Kyle McGinn’s career by blocking a move to the capital’s sole top flight club - and denying him the chance to link up with his brothers and follow in the footsteps of John - they have crossed a line of no return.

The sacred St Murnian alliance hangs in the balance here. Do what’s right, Tony.

Don't be like that. 

Plus, his names not Kyle McGinn FFS......it's Kyle McAllister. 

Remember, not Kyle McGinn, not Kyle Magennis, it's Kyle McAllister you need to sign. 

12 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Go stand in the corner and think about what you've done.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He'll very likely be gone.

It's weird even announcing that, almost like trying to brace the support.

I like Magennis but he's got less than a year left on his contract and he suffered badly last season....dunno if it was weight of captaincy, from Goodwin not playing him in the correct manner or both.

He's a talented lad but he's not shown it consistently enough for me and has had 2 or 3 pretty bad injuries so far. I reckon we'll sell.  

Or to try and start a wee bidding war. I can’t say I know all that much about him. Sure the only time I saw him play us at ER he was playing right midfield. 

Someone said on here a while back he was away. Lucky guess or itk?

Depending on what the definition of 'substantial' is, we should take it. Survival of the club takes priority in the current climate. Plus, the boy is injury prone. I still think our squad is heavy in the middle, and I'd rather see cheap/experienced defensive cover brought in.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Someone said on here a while back he was away. Lucky guess or itk?

Depending on what the definition of 'substantial' is, we should take it. Survival of the club takes priority in the current climate. Plus, the boy is injury prone. I still think our squad is heavy in the middle, and I'd rather see cheap/experienced defensive cover brought in.

It is but it's almost comically light of creative or attacking types. Kyle brings that to the team without a doubt when utilised correctly.

I still feel we need a bit of real, genuine quality in central mid. A player who looks comfortable in possession and can dictate a game from the middle of the park. We have no-one who can do that. 

Foley should be getting reduced to bit part player on current form. Erhahon and MacPherson are potentially good but relatively similar.  McGrath doesn't appear to have anyone around him who has a fucking clue. Kristian Dennis seemed to understand what him and Erhahon wanted to do against Hibs at least before he went off injured. Sheron should be getting sent back down south ASAP and McAllister I feel, at just 21, is mentally finished already. Injuries have absolutely ruined his psyche.

Magennis on paper is needed back, however it's key to remember that Jack Ross got the best out of Kyle Magennis...Jim Goodwin hasn't managed to do that. Nothing like it.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Magennis on paper is needed back, however it's key to remember that Jack Ross got the best out of Kyle Magennis...Jim Goodwin hasn't managed to do that. Nothing like it.

I’m sure Jack will have stayed in touch with him and the lad will already have had his head turned.

Kyle Magennis would shine with decent players around him like Hibs have Jack Ross also knows his capabilities. The lad is only 22 a St Mirren fan, I'm all for letting players progress and probably trembling his wage. He certainly wont save the shambles we are in.   Just make sure there is a 30% sell on clause.  

Would be tempted to sell him, give Goodwin some of the money to sort the defence and keep the rest to mitigate the impact of playing games without fans. If we weren't in the middle of a pandemic and playing behind closed doors with no income I'd perhaps have a decent view.

The fact the club has gone public makes me think they know he's going and are trying to entice bids now to get some cash rather than loose him for nothing in the summer. I presume contract offers have been made and he's rejected them.

On his day he is a good player, however due to a combination of injuries and other reasons we haven't seen enough from him in the Premiership. I'm a bit surprised Aberdeen and Hibs are in for him as I don't think he's at that level, although I thought the same about Paul McGinn and he seems to be doing well. I can't see this being a situation like losing McLean or John McGinn and we see him doing well in England in a few year.

If he signs Magennis, Jack Ross' next move will be the double capture of Stelios and Rory Loy.