The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Significantly less for teams that have bought a testing machine - not sure if St Mirren have done that though

No, we haven't but it would probably would have been a lot cheaper as we are spending the best part of £3k a week on testing. Could pay for a couple of players for that amount.

15 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

No, we haven't but it would probably would have been a lot cheaper as we are spending the best part of £3k a week on testing. Could pay for a couple of players for that amount.

I suppose it depends how long this nonsense will last, I suspect given we have wee nippy and the bawbag in charge, it's likely to be quite a while.

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I suppose it depends how long this nonsense will last, I suspect given we have wee nippy and the bawbag in charge, it's likely to be quite a while.

Ross County's machine cost £35k. 12 weeks to pay for itself. We are now in week 8 of the season so their purchase is beginning to look like a shrewd investment.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Ross County's machine cost £35k. 12 weeks to pay for itself. We are now in week 8 of the season so their purchase is beginning to look like a shrewd investment.

Yep, Livi have one too. Think that's what we spent the 50k or so we got on. We're the only club in Scotland that invested in in-house testing too according to John Ward (CEO). From what I know Ross County can take tests and send them away for processing whereas we get our results in an hour or so. 

I had no idea there was so many ways to do it tbh

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Can’t help but feel Flynn & Magennis have become infinitely better players while injured & too much emphasis is being placed upon their return. They’re good players and will better the team, granted they might not improve the infamously poor xG statistic. They are both coming off a long injury so they will take a good while to make a regular impact.
We’ve decent players throughout the squad and looked a good team in the early couple weeks since then there’s been too much messing about with personnel and formation. Suspension and injuries (including isolation) have disrupted our team quite a bit in the early part of the season, not helped by Tait’s recklessness on Saturday. Goodwin needs to return to a settled team, last season you could pretty much pick the starting 11 this season it’s a lottery. There wasn’t any real reason for changing the team that played Wednesday - I’d have even played Morias ahead of Obika especially in the wild setup Goodwin plumped for.

Absolutely, the expectations being placed on these guys is insane. Neither of them will fix the lack of goals, lack of defensive cover or some of the tombola tactics Jim is using.  They should improve ball retention in midfield but that is just one of the things needing attention right now.

Killie Saturday then Aberdeen away finding it hard to see us getting any points from any of these two games.  I take it the new left back mentioned is a no go ?  We also have a young man in goals with no first team experience.  It's all going tits up very early.  Still feel there is a decent team there if all were available.  Goodwin needs to stand up and correct his wrongs also soon. 

46 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Killie Saturday then Aberdeen away finding it hard to see us getting any points from any of these two games.  I take it the new left back mentioned is a no go ?  We also have a young man in goals with no first team experience.  It's all going tits up very early.  Still feel there is a decent team there if all were available.  Goodwin needs to stand up and correct his wrongs also soon. 

Why you saying a young man in goal, DZ? Our other two keepers are out of isolation.

35 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Alnwick should be back, assuming he is healthy/recovered/symptomless. But we are still wobbling away on the 'four first-team-defenders' tightrope.

I think if you polled all Saints supporters about the line-up now, the average response would roughly be 4-2-3-1, and, defence aside, we've got players who naturally fit in all those positions. So, no more players out of position. No more 3-5-2 or 4-3-3- or even 4-4-2. Durmus and McAllister aren't performing, so should be dropped. Straight shootout between Erwin and Obika to play up top; I'd go Erwin. Connolly, McGrath and MacPherson in behind. Ethan and Foley at the base of midfield.

See, this all feels fairly straightforward to me. I'm not sure why we seem to be making things so complicated for ourselves.

25 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Piss poor from Goodwin that’s he’s not addressed the left back centre back issue. Add to that we have Foley and McCarthy not performing anywhere near the levels of last season. 

Get us a proper left back and another centre half pronto.

I can only think that he's hanging on for the English loan market. We surely cant be going to January this light in defence. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Alnwick should be back, assuming he is healthy/recovered/symptomless. But we are still wobbling away on the 'four first-team-defenders' tightrope.

I think if you polled all Saints supporters about the line-up now, the average response would roughly be 4-2-3-1, and, defence aside, we've got players who naturally fit in all those positions. So, no more players out of position. No more 3-5-2 or 4-3-3- or even 4-4-2. Durmus and McAllister aren't performing, so should be dropped. Straight shootout between Erwin and Obika to play up top; I'd go Erwin. Connolly, McGrath and MacPherson in behind. Ethan and Foley at the base of midfield.

See, this all feels fairly straightforward to me. I'm not sure why we seem to be making things so complicated for ourselves.

I keep seeing Cammy mentioned wide right of a 3, but just don’t see it myself. I’ve never known him to play there (has he?), always been central or right back but even at right back he just doesn’t look as comfortable. If it’s not his position, then it kinda defeats the ‘natural position’ argument.

I’d have him and Foley as the ‘two’, with Ethan providing back up. Ethan has done well, but Cammy is just a bit more dynamic than him.

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

I keep seeing Cammy mentioned wide right of a 3, but just don’t see it myself. I’ve never known him to play there (has he?), always been central or right back but even at right back he just doesn’t look as comfortable. If it’s not his position, then it kinda defeats the ‘natural position’ argument.

I’d have him and Foley as the ‘two’, with Ethan providing back up. Ethan has done well, but Cammy is just a bit more dynamic than him.

In a 3 behind a striker he wouldn't be wide, but attacking wing half or old fashioned inside right. He isn't a winger per se but has played on occassion wide right in the past in a 4-4-2 and played further in on the right hand side in a 4-3-3. For me he would be better in that position than either Morias or McAllister. Magennis or Flynn may slot into that when they are fit but for me Cammy would do a decent job there in the meantime.  But I agree his best position is probably more in the middle but for now his energy, drive and shooting are required somewhere in the team. And we must change the formation else we will continue to start a game with effectively only 9 men.

There was a artical in yesterday's Hearld with Jim Goodwin. One section Goodwin says the club did not expect to go into the New Year with no fans getting into the stadium as such the budget has had to be adjusted. With out knowing all the detail wondering if that is stopping anyone else from coming in ? 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

There was a artical in yesterday's Hearld with Jim Goodwin. One section Goodwin says the club did not expect to go into the New Year with no fans getting into the stadium as such the budget has had to be adjusted. With out knowing all the detail wondering if that is stopping anyone else from coming in ? 

Yeah, fair point, that's interesting. If you look at the timeframe with Junior Brown, against the backdrop of various outbreaks, local lockdowns and the new national restrictions, I guess that's probably our squad finalised now.

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Time to get more youth blooded if this is the case. 

It's just unfortunate that we have about 20 1st team midfielders,  and about 4 defenders. 

Baffling again from Goodwin, concerned that his bottle has went. Yet another tactical change to start today and then again at half time. Then, we have a player who was one of the better ones against Celtic, scores in the next game but can’t get a start.

However, priority is removing the commentator from Tait’s arse.

On 22/09/2020 at 15:16, glenburn bud said:

Piss poor from Goodwin that’s he’s not addressed the left back centre back issue. Add to that we have Foley and McCarthy not performing anywhere near the levels of last season. 

Get us a proper left back and another centre half pronto.

Dont think you will see any movment given Goodwin's comment in the Hearld regarding budget being reshuffled . I'm really disappointed in Goodwin for sure we are relegation candidates.