The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I really don’t want Erhahon to get moved from centre mid when he’s playing well. Trying to think of another options: maybe Fraser at left back and MacPherson at right back?

I'm not getting that anyone in the midfield is playing well, as a unit they look really poor. We create next to nothing and there is no willingness to play through midfield. No one can pick a decent forward pass and the winger fixation invariably just sees us over run in the middle of the park. Getting Magennis and Flynn back might help but given the number of midfielders we have it's been very poor so far and the constant chopping and changing in there doesn't help too nor does McAllister looking done and Durmus looking hopelessly out of form.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
14 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:
When's our next game? I think we'll sign someone. While losing Tait isn't as bad as losing Shaughnessy, surely we can't attempt to keep muddling through like this.
Also, when can Alnwick come back? Assuming he's symptomless and fit, of course.

Answer to both next Saturday.

Unless they’ve been playing, big risk to drop a left back in with little minutes in their legs. Unless JB has been up training and playing bounce games?

We are losing games via the midfield. Jim plays two wingers who are just not in the game leaving Foley and Erhahon having to do all the work, not being able to support the strikers and generally being overrun. Two wingers isn't working. We should play through the middle in a passing game and support the striker(s) more by also being able to get more men in the box. McAllister, nor Morias,  simply aren't good enough for a starting slot. My rant last night showed a team and formation that I think we should adopt. But if Jim continues to play only two in the middle of the park coving the defence all the way up to the strikers then we have no chance of winning games.

22 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We are losing games via the midfield. Jim plays two wingers who are just not in the game leaving Foley and Erhahon having to do all the work, not being able to support the strikers and generally being overrun. Two wingers isn't working. We should play through the middle in a passing game and support the striker(s) more by also being able to get more men in the box. McAllister, nor Morias,  simply aren't good enough for a starting slot. My rant last night showed a team and formation that I think we should adopt. But if Jim continues to play only two in the middle of the park coving the defence all the way up to the strikers then we have no chance of winning games.

Agree with this, we’re losing games as our opponents are dominating space and we aren’t good enough to play 4-4-2.

We’ve got to get players playing in their correct position,  such as a number 10 in McGrath who can offer us so much more.

Yip it looks glaring obvious to us not sure how Jim thinks we can win games continually losing the midfield thus relying on lumps forward from the back. The winger thing is bizarre as they produce zero chances. All our chances seem to come from dead balls or mistakes by the opposition. I am yet to see any sort of decent attacking passing moves instead it's turgid long ball nonsense with the wide men largely ignored. Personally I would try to offload Durmus and McAllister maybe Morais too and try (yes I know it's difficult) to get a playmaker in as even with the long term injured pair back it would be an asset.

4-2-3-1 . McGrath as playmaker supporting Erwin with Connolly and McPherson on either side. Foley and Erhahon behind them.

That gives us plenty of players to get in the box and play a passing game through the middle instead of long balls and shite crossing.

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think part of Wright's agreement with Saints was that he wouldn't be able to take a new job until November.

Yup, he made that crystal clear on National radio.

40 minutes ago, btb said:

Relegation dogfight it is, can't remember the last time we had one of them!

Still a bit early I would say though we are not top six. There is a good team there when you can pick from a full squad. Goodwin has to play his strongest 11 first and stop trying out new ideas. From the first game it was clear midfield is weak due to the system we are playing with the wide men. McAllister has had enough opportunities I reckon he is keeping quiet about his long time injury which is giving him jip.  Anyway dont fancy us against Kilmarnock a game that will give Goodwin a wake up call. 

Not sure I'd say were are in for another relegation dogfight, or if we are it's going to be with a group of 4 or 5 teams not just a one v one situation which we tend to find ourselves in.

The most frustrating thing for me is that Goodwin was able to get a tune out of a "worse" set of players last season than he's getting now. There are obvious caveats to be had here. Not just the disrupted pre-season, the Shaughnessy (and not Tait) red cards and the goalkeeping situation, but we can't put all the problems down to that.

I don't think dumping Goodwin would do any us any benefit.

Edited by Ric

4 hours ago, Ric said:

Not sure I'd say were are in for another relegation dogfight, or if we are it's going to be with a group of 4 or 5 teams not just a one v one situation which we tend to find ourselves in.

The most frustrating thing for me is that Goodwin was able to get a tune out of a "worse" set of players last season than he's getting now. There are obvious caveats to be had here. Not just the disrupted pre-season, the Shaughnessy (and not Tait) red cards and the goalkeeping situation, but we can't put all the problems down to that.

I don't think dumping Goodwin would do any us any benefit.

God I hope it does not come to that.  Jim is a young .manager finding his way. Has positives and negatives latter he needs to see that. He is a genuine club legend we must help and stick by him. 

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

Talk of binning Goidwin is nonsense. Wait till he gets his full side together. There is a good side in there and I expect the team to improve. 

Totally agree, but he needs to ditch any idea that 4 proper defenders will be enough to see us through a season. Need a left back and centre half as cover ASAP.

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

Talk of binning Goidwin is nonsense. Wait till he gets his full side together. There is a good side in there and I expect the team to improve. 

For what it's worth, a lot of teams are probably starting to get like this. Few Livi fans are saying the same about Holt too despite previous success with us

Jim needs to get the defence sorted. We've still got Magennis and Flynn to come back from injury which should boost the midfield. The biggest failing is defence- 4 defenders is criminal and we can't just get midfielders to fill in or play or play a back 3 which was a disaster at St. Johnstone. 

Can’t help but feel Flynn & Magennis have become infinitely better players while injured & too much emphasis is being placed upon their return. They’re good players and will better the team, granted they might not improve the infamously poor xG statistic. They are both coming off a long injury so they will take a good while to make a regular impact.
We’ve decent players throughout the squad and looked a good team in the early couple weeks since then there’s been too much messing about with personnel and formation. Suspension and injuries (including isolation) have disrupted our team quite a bit in the early part of the season, not helped by Tait’s recklessness on Saturday. Goodwin needs to return to a settled team, last season you could pretty much pick the starting 11 this season it’s a lottery. There wasn’t any real reason for changing the team that played Wednesday - I’d have even played Morias ahead of Obika especially in the wild setup Goodwin plumped for.