The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

38 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Stephen McGinn signs for Hibs until the end of the season. 

That's an odd one, I presume there is a coaching role there. Would happily have seen McGinn continue at the club but (to me) he just didn't look like he was still up to speed.

Mind you, with so many spots available on the subs bench, and if Hibs can afford a "luxury" player, he'd be useful coming on as a late sub just to see out the game.

On 12/09/2020 at 14:34, Ric said:

Sure, but you look at our club's response.

Have we petitioned for a temporary change in the rules just to suit us alone? No.
Did we claim it was a conspiracy at the SPFL to f**k us over? No.
Have we rallied a litany of sycophants in the "meedja" to press our case for being hard done? No.
Did we lodge a legal complaint in the courts? No.

The response to the bad luck we faced has been met with a level of dignity, something that cannot be said from the Edinburgh Championship club.

This comment aged well 😘

Few things to take away from tonight. 

1) Erwin is going to be a bit of a handful up top. If we're going with only 1 up he actually seems better at that role than Obika. 

2) McGrath should be our main set piece taker, no questions asked

3) We're a better team for not having Sheron in it. 

4) we need to work on defending cross balls. That's all 5 goals we've lost against the old firm this season that have come from balls being played in from wide. It's a real issue. We give away very little through the middle and look solid but we look weak defending crosses. 

5) Connolly looks like he's going to be a good out ball and we should be using his pace as much as possible until he burns himself out after 65 mins. 

8 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I gave up when they scored the second goal cant handle seeing us under constant pressure. So was pleasantly surprised to see it finished 1-2. Though I see we had 23% possession so I'm still glad I turned it off. 

We had more possession than Hibs on Saturday and lost by two more goals.

15 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I gave up when they scored the second goal cant handle seeing us under constant pressure. So was pleasantly surprised to see it finished 1-2. Though I see we had 23% possession so I'm still glad I turned it off. 

You missed a half decent,  well organised performance. 

Too much of a knee-jerk reaction to the defeat at St Johnstone. That defeat was all down to Goodwin messing about with the shape to accommodate a distinctly average team.
We’ve decent players when played in their natural positions. As in January we are probably short of a left sided defender to fill in at centre half or left back as the suspension for Shaughnessy showed and any suspension/injury to Tait would do. I would agree with opinions on Connolly, I think he played well tonight and certainly looks to have a bit about him. McGrath is a wonderful player, must be destined for bigger things in the future.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Is that LB still meant to be coming in? I had wondered, if he proved to be an improvement, whether that would mean Fraser perhaps missing out and Tait moving to RB.

Believe there were travel issues that delayed it. Haven't heard anything in over a week about him now.

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Is that LB still meant to be coming in? I had wondered, if he proved to be an improvement, whether that would mean Fraser perhaps missing out and Tait moving to RB.

This is all just conjecture, but the shuffling of the pack, with Baird being let go and the younger lads being put out on loan, it seemed like Goodwin was generating the cash to bring in such a player. With the Zlamal loan could some of that have been eaten up? I'd be worried if a week's loan may have that detrimental a hit but you never know.

As for Fraser, I don't think he'd lose his place unless he started to show some considerably poor form. He's got his faults, sure, but overall I don't think he's been that bad. He's got bags of experience and I think that the whole back 4 (+ Alnwick) is a good solid unit we should be looking to keep as consistent as possible.