The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Erwin is a good player, I think he'd be a great addition for Saints. I thought it was weird when County signed him at the time because they already had quite a few strikers. We didn't want him to leave when he did, but he got a life changing offer from Iran and we didn't want to stand in his way. I'm pretty sure he'd have ended up back at Killie if Clarke (or Dyer) had been in charge last summer.

Didn't his early time at County not also get hampered by his former club trying to take him to FIFA for breaching contract by leaving? Sure that's why he couldn't get started until about November last season.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Erwin is a good player, I think he'd be a great addition for Saints. I thought it was weird when County signed him at the time because they already had quite a few strikers. We didn't want him to leave when he did, but he got a life changing offer from Iran and we didn't want to stand in his way. I'm pretty sure he'd have ended up back at Killie if Clarke (or Dyer) had been in charge last summer.

Yeah potentually he's a great signing but a bit of a gamble.  But then all signings are a bit of a gamble.  We've signed players that you would have thought were stick ons to do the business; Kello, Harkins, Imrie. Dargo that for one reason or another didn't do the biz . And other that I thought WTF that ended up making me eat my words. Goodwin himself falling in to that catagory.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Very strange move. I might have kept him for numbers, I’m very surprised he’s found another club at this level.  He’s looked alright in parts for County, but also as if he could play for a week and never score.  With Stewart also on his way out, I could see this being a loan deal.   Either way though, not particularly sorry to see him go, but I do guarantee he scores on his debut for St Mirren.

Not sure County ever played him correctly, but he never looked like a bulldozing target man - he actually seemed to prefer playing facing the opponents.

I think some managers have a feeling that any big CF can be used as a "bulldozing target man" - we seemed to make the same mistake with Stephan Bahoken who was not interested in chasing after 50/50 balls  during his spell with us.

11 minutes ago, btb said:

I think some managers have a feeling that any big CF can be used as a "bulldozing target man" - we seemed to make the same mistake with Stephan Bahoken who was not interested in chasing after 50/50 balls  during his spell with us.

I think the expectation is more from the fans than the managers, but I do agree.  Ross Stewart is another example.  Fans often expect him to do something he’s not really capable of, and get surprised when he beats a full back and puts in a decent cross.  I’ll be honest, I don’t ever think County saw the best of Erwin, and that definitely is the manager’s fault.

Edit: the impact Mark Hateley had on the Scottish game is really quite remarkable, in retrospect.

Edited by Savage Henry

31 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Lee Hodson Hamilton positive test now also. 

He's tested negative but Brian Rice confirmed he has to isolate through track and trace as he flat shares with the Saints player who tested positive.

Hodson's best mate is Alnwick so that confirms what most suspected.

49 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He's tested negative but Brian Rice confirmed he has to isolate through track and trace as he flat shares with the Saints player who tested positive.

Hodson's best mate is Alnwick so that confirms what most suspected.

Why does Alnwick have to be so fucking good at catching stuff?

When I heard we had one player out through Covid I thought, well, so long as it's not Alnwick.

We started this campaign with a very solid defence; suffered last game through suspension, and now it looks like we've Hibs and Celtic without our best player.

Lucky white heather!

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Well, this is why you have a reserve goalie. If Lyness can come in and not throw any in for the next three games then he's earned his money.

Lyness was decent in the few games he played after Samson left. Alnwick has been excellent but I reckon Lyness is a decent number 2.