The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Not really sure what Erwin really brings to the table that Obika, Morias or Dennis don't, but fair enough I'm sure Goodwin must have some plan for him.

The LB cover is really the thing I'm happy to see. Unless it's the reincarnation of Mo Camara I don't really mind who it is.

Erwin is a strange one. 

I thought he'd have been an absolute coup for County but its never worked out there for him. 

Suppose we can only wait and see but he doesn't fit the narrative of 'genuinely exciting' or 'game changer' that Goodwin was waxing when describing the one more forward player he wished to add. 

It was [mention=473]djchapsticks[/mention] that rightly pointed out previously the issue with bringing those guys in in the summer; their contracts run till January so we'd be unlikely to be able to get them now without fees being involved. Of course, it might be the case that we're happy to try to risk it and wait a few months before expanding the squad.

Would be interested to know if LoI players can sign pre-contract agreements from now, if they're going to e be OOC at the end of December. Anyone know?

Probably be as well paying the fees to get them out of the last 6 months of contract, while able to move freely, than wait until summer and having to sponsor their visa at an absurd cost. Everything else seems to be heading down that route of carnage.
I believe Goodwin calls it the free state.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Erwin is a strange one. 

I thought he'd have been an absolute coup for County but its never worked out there for him. 

Suppose we can only wait and see but he doesn't fit the narrative of 'genuinely exciting' or 'game changer' that Goodwin was waxing when describing the one more forward player he wished to add. 

He's a player who constantly looks like he's about to turn the corner and do well without ever actually turning the corner, if that makes sense.

9 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

He's a player who constantly looks like he's about to turn the corner and do well without ever actually turning the corner, if that makes sense.

I think that explains why he's continued to get half-decent moves through his career (with the exception of the jaunt to Azerbaijan). He's still young enough that managers will see the player he could be, rather than the player he's never quite managed to be.

I can't see that there's room for him in our squad.

Edited by Coventry Saint

9 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Probably sums up his career, seems a bit ‘Ravel Morrison’ like. There is a player there, but nobody can coax it out consistently.